What's new

First Restore: Rubberset!

I really liked this handle design, so I decided that it was worth a re-knot. I wish I had taken more pictures throughout the process, but it wasn't anything you all haven't seen. Like other Rubberset brushes (and I believe Rudy had one similar) the handle is in two pieces, and was largely filled with some chalky, white substance. Perhaps plaster of paris. The handle has been hand-sanded with very fine sandpaper, and then hand-polished with flitz. I wish I had a dremel...

I do have a secret weapon of sorts in this bad boy. It's a little something I like to call "shot soup". The empty handle was filled with a mixture of marine epoxy and lead shot (can't recall exact size, but probably no. 8 - we're big on clays and small birds around here). This sucker is HEAVY - I believe it qualifies as a personal defense weapon.

Oh, and the knot is a 20mm TGN Grade A Silvertip. And it's everything it's cracked up to be. The loft is set around 50mm.

If it's not obvious, there's a bit of a chip in the top near the base of the knot. Doesn't seem to effect performance any. When I get home, I'll post a pre-bloom pic I took with my D90 that better shows off the intricacies of the handle. This was after a lap around the MWF puck this morning, and the bloom shot is apparently what everybody really wants to see. So, without further ado:

PS, please excuse the rotated second picture - I took it with my iPhone and the attachment system here doesn't seem to respect the orientation of that picture for some reason. You get the idea, I think :drool:

Beautiful restore JPDyson! Love it, love the handle the the color! Knot looks very nice too! You guys are always making me want more brushes!! :drool:

Very nicely done.

Classic handles just completely blow away the bog standard stuff from the big production brush makers. I really don't know why they do not diversify into some of the old two color classics.

That is darn pretty. I am very partial to the dual color handles and black on butterscotch (?) is one of the best. You put a nice shine on it.

Pretty soon I'm gonna give it a go. I got like 8-10 brushes here that just need to be reconfigured. err, restored.

-jim

Top Bottom