What's new

Zulu Grey vs Arkie

I'm saying it's not much praise for a stone to say it is better than something that you don't have success with. It's like saying, "I like whoppers better than Big macs, but Big macs are awful."

I'm saying it's not much praise for a stone to say it is better than something that you don't have success with. It's like saying, "I like whoppers better than Big macs, but Big macs are awful."

OK. But my point is, that I didn't say that Cotis are awful (I do not want to be understood that way) and I said that I had not much succes with cotis just because I wanted to relativize my statement on the ZG!

I second that on the Welsh Slate, though I've never tried a coti. I do find the DT does better on 5k scratches than my 8k Naniwa. The purple stone does a decent job cleaning up scratches after the DT. However, I feel the green one degrades the edge a bit. It feels grainy and there are more scratches after than before. Then again, that could just be mine.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've used my Zulu Grey only once on one razor, but the edge is very impressive. It was previously pretty sharp coming off a coticule + pasted strops, but the ZG definitely improved the sharpness and also the comfort of this particular edge.

I'm a big fan of my coticule and also of my Arkansas stones, and I'm not saying your ZG is good, but mine is.

Here's my shave and honing report, link.

One honing on one razor and one shave doesn't fully tell the tale, but it tells me something.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I find the comments lacking in merit. It all depends on how you use a Zulu grey. What are you using on the service? I own Arks and a Zulu Grey. I use a 1 part Ballistol to 4 parts water after honing on a Coticule. Gives a very smooth, polished edge that shaves great. My black surgical Ark is slower and I don't see the great edge over a Zulu. I use the same mixture on both. The Zulu does give a comfortable shave if used correctly. The Ark also gives a comfortable shave but needs more laps. Also, what are you doing after honing on a Ark or Zulu? I go to my Mastro Livi loom strop leather and do about 60 laps. Absolutely wonderful shave, period. Making general conclusions without saying how you are honing with the stones and stropping isn't constructive.

I don't see Jim's comments as a conclusion at all. He, like you, provided a anecdotal account of how he used a stone and that he got a good shave.

Top Bottom