What's new

Black Arkansas stones

I am confused about the different grades of black Arkansas: Black, surgical black, blue black, translucent black?? For the most part today seems like all or Most of the blacks have a grey hue to them. I read that the Ink jet black stones are the denser (maybe finer too) and rarer novaculite stones.

Mike

I doubt anyone could tell the difference in an edge done on any of them. I’m fairly certain I can’t. As long as the come from a reputable dealer (mine) you should be good to go. Dans, Preyda, Norton. Maybe others I’m not aware of.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
This is my first, a Dan‘s hard black Ark, labelled as ultra fine by the retailer. Looks black to me. I’m figuring things out and getting some ok edges. First natural finisher, so Im just learning as I go, but really enjoying the stone so far. Good things to come I believe.
53CB6815-844B-4404-931E-88FEF2C7242C.jpeg

Buyer beware, but a lot of stones sold as black Arkansas online are not even novaculite.

That’s one of the reasons I prefer translucent. At least you can tell visually what you are buying.
I heard that as well.... They're called dunston stones or something like that!?

Legion

Staff member
I heard that as well.... They're called dunston stones or something like that!?
Yeah. They are black, and from Arkansas, so they are technically not misrepresenting, but clearly it is an attempt to confuse people and sell a less expensive stone to the unsuspecting.

Dan's stones have proven to be really good stuff. However, the Bethesda Black and Dota Creek rocks(shown here with an Arkansas Grey....all by Jonathon Coe) are no slouches. I have no idea what a Dunston stone is?🤷‍♂️
IMG_5913.jpeg

I am confused about the different grades of black Arkansas: Black, surgical black, blue black, translucent black?? For the most part today seems like all or Most of the blacks have a grey hue to them. I read that the Ink jet black stones are the denser (maybe finer too) and rarer novaculite stones.

Mike
I think Dan's claims the Blue Black is the finest. The blue black is the black translucent btw.

I don't think I would refute anything Dan said. My experience with the black translucent is that it is at least as fine as any and probably the slowest also.

All these hard arks are so capable, even the semi translucent hards that were not sold as translucents are really good finishers.

A plain black Ark can be pretty soft, very near the density line, pretty sure most people would know if their razor was finished on one. A lot of them were sold as Surgical Black and many users were disappointed.
Some vendors sold non-novaculite stones as 'Surgical Black". I think most people would know if their razor was finished on one of them too.
My view of a real 'Surgical" black is that it would be in the same density range as a Translucent. Some of them aren't though, there are examples tested that were not that dense and some users might prefer that stone to the Translucent.

Dans sells the top end black as "ultra fine' and they seem to be in the same density range as their translucent. Their marketing terms are simply that.

Arks are theoretically graded on density but not all density readings are an absolute guide. Impurities exist, you can have a black ark read SG 2.6 while it's only 80-something percent silica. A translucent can read the same SG and be 99% silica. And a lot of users might like the black more than the trans.

Blue black, Surgical black, translucent black - they're all just very dense black Arks that can be good finishers. There is nothing to be confused about, really. It's the broscience crowd that gets everyone nuts.

Buy a quality stone from a known trusted source and you'll have a good stone to work with.
If the stone is good, your razor and face won't care if its blue, grey, clear, mixed, pink, or mottled.

You want what Dan's calls a true hard Arkansas stone:

1706837642376.png

Norton calls this grade hard Arkansas oilstone.

A Dan's true hard Arkansas is top shelf.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
For the most part today seems like all or Most of the blacks have a grey hue to them. I read that the Ink jet black stones are the denser (maybe finer too) and rarer novaculite stones.
Many new Black Arks that haven't been exposed to oil are grey in color. A poorly lapped, oil free Black Ark is neither black or smooth. I almost threw one out once thinking I had bought a Carbo instead of an Ark. I was positive I had gotten burned...

Top Bottom