What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

Great graphic Edgar… yes, I agree that this question of blade angle always seems to come up and I think that your graphic will be very helpful to some of our newer members who might not have this terminology down quite yet.

But of course your post actually brings up a MUCH more important issue...
Where can I get a RED R41!? I want one!! :lol:

Thanks, Nuclearblast.
I got two R41 shaves under my belt, and I have used what I thought was steep angle. According to your diagram, I was using shallow angle. Thanks for the clarification. I will try this on my next R41 shave. I got a more than uncomfortable bit of irritation on my shaves so far, and was wondering why the rest of the world loves their R41 and it didn't work for me.

MUCH more important issue...
Where can I get a RED R41!? I want one!! :lol:

Powder coating Bill ... I heard the color choice is endless. If you decide to try it with yours I'd be interested to see the results ... :lol: Or just paint it ...
$download (1).jpg
:001_tongu

Thanks, Nuclearblast.
I got two R41 shaves under my belt, and I have used what I thought was steep angle. According to your diagram, I was using shallow angle. Thanks for the clarification. I will try this on my next R41 shave. I got a more than uncomfortable bit of irritation on my shaves so far, and was wondering why the rest of the world loves their R41 and it didn't work for me.

Great!! I am happy I could help someone with this. Let us know the results once you try the steeper angle! :thumbup1:

This was posted in the BEAST thread earlier, but it helped me in dialing in the steep angle. Apologies for the repeat, but here's geofatboy's R41 video, hope it helps new BEST'ies:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the video ^^^^^^^^^^^^ gives a great feeling for what the "steep" angle should look like. It seems to be very similar (if not identical) to the angle that I use. I'd just caution newbies trying this razor to be very careful to only move up and down with your strokes, as opposed to in and out. If you move in and out, you will put too much pressure on your face at the top of the stroke and will likely cause cuts and irritation. I hope that makes sense, what I mean?
Also take note of the speed at which geofatboy is taking his strokes. Don't go too slow, or you won't get a smooth, clean cut.

+1. Lots of confusion on this point in the past. One should always discuss the angle of the blade, not the handle. The head geometry varies too much from DE to DE (or SE) to use the handle as a meaningful reference.
+1 You couldn't be more right, James. I've seen your reminders for years, and it seems that they're always appropriate because there is always confusion.

And nicely done, Nuclear. This is one of the very best illustrations of blade angle I've ever seen. Congrats!

+1. Lots of confusion on this point in the past. One should always discuss the angle of the blade, not the handle. The head geometry varies too much from DE to DE (or SE) to use the handle as a meaningful reference.

+1 You couldn't be more right, James. I've seen your reminders for years, and it seems that they're always appropriate because there is always confusion.

And nicely done, Nuclear. This is one of the very best illustrations of blade angle I've ever seen. Congrats!

Thanks! It means a lot coming from knowledgeable members like both of you.

I have noticed people sometimes still misinterpret the word angle, that is why I have decided to quickly make this, and I'm sorry for the grotesque picturing of the R41 ... :lol:
Anyway, I think we all agree that when we say angle, we should be referring to blade angle, and NOT handle angle.So behold ... my masterpiece! :thumbup: Ok ... maybe not a masterpiece, but hopefully will help someone still in doubt, to understand what we mean by shallow or steep angle.
If nothing else, y'all can have a good laugh!:001_cool:

View attachment 437229
View attachment 437230

Also, sorry that the "blade" in the last pic is not even touching the "skin" ... :lol: But you get the point.

Excellent post Mr. Blast! :001_smile

I consider myself a rare BEAST because I use a steep angle most of the time.

So behold ... my masterpiece!

Thank you so much, Edgar. I was just then hoping someone would post an illustration just for clarification, and lo and behold, I came across yours. Mind you, I'm still using my R89 for less substantial growth and the 41 for when I blow it off entirely for a few days like Don Johnson (which I do quite frequently, actually).:thumbup1:

I'm having troubles with my R41 using feather blades. I use an R89 (feather blade) daily and have no issues with cutting myself.
Every now and then I dig out my R41 but manage to nick myself almost every time, usually on my throat/neck area. I am using a steep angle, and pay very close attention but it doesnt seem to matter. I am aware this is a much more aggressive razor, but I would love if I could get to a comfort level where it could be my daily razor as it does give a great shave (when I'm not bleeding that is).

Suggestions? Try a different blade? If I went as quickly as the guy in the video I would need stitches. With the R89, that is a different story. Can anyone help?

I'm having troubles with my R41 using feather blades. I use an R89 (feather blade) daily and have no issues with cutting myself.
Every now and then I dig out my R41 but manage to nick myself almost every time, usually on my throat/neck area. I am using a steep angle, and pay very close attention but it doesnt seem to matter. I am aware this is a much more aggressive razor, but I would love if I could get to a comfort level where it could be my daily razor as it does give a great shave (when I'm not bleeding that is).

Suggestions? Try a different blade? If I went as quickly as the guy in the video I would need stitches. With the R89, that is a different story. Can anyone help?

As a baby step, you could make the R41 your second pass. As you gain confidence and muscle memory on successful R41 passes, you can try using it for the first pass.

Try going downward diagonally toward your adam's apple. Make sure the comb is uniformly stretching your skin ahead of the blade by watching your angle.

Tune your sharpness for your beard and skin type. Sounds like a smooth but slightly less sharp blade might be worth a try. Until you get a handle on it, use a fresh blade every time.

Feltspanky also recommends Noxzema or African Shaving Soap With Shea Butter as a pre-shave lubricant. You might give that a try.

I commend you for your persistence. Do not give up. It's worth it.

Last edited:

When I started using a preshave lubricant my irritation from the R41 went away. Noxzema or Black African Shaving Soap massaged into the whiskers allows me to shave everyday with my R41.

Are you using the steep angle approach? I find it the best technique with the R41. Safer, faster and irritation free.

I was really sceptical about this steep angle approach - it is contrary to all learning and experience. Trouble is...it works. I tried it this morning with a new 7 O'Clock Yellow in my 2011. Despite complaints from the muscle memory in my shaving hand, I acheived a better than DFS in one WTG pass. Second pass was BBS. Third pass just to see what would happen - bearing Mantic's result in mind. No nicks or even weepers. No redness or irritation. This is the best shaving razor I own.

Now, what am I going to do with the other 30 razors I have collected. :001_huh::laugh:

Excellent post Mr. Blast! :001_smile

I consider myself a rare BEAST because I use a steep angle most of the time.

Me too Andrew, it works great! :thumbup1:

Thank you so much, Edgar. I was just then hoping someone would post an illustration just for clarification, and lo and behold, I came across yours. Mind you, I'm still using my R89 for less substantial growth and the 41 for when I blow it off entirely for a few days like Don Johnson (which I do quite frequently, actually).:thumbup1:

You're welcome, glad I could help! :001_smile

I was really sceptical about this steep angle approach - it is contrary to all learning and experience. Trouble is...it works. I tried it this morning with a new 7 O'Clock Yellow in my 2011. Despite complaints from the muscle memory in my shaving hand, I acheived a better than DFS in one WTG pass. Second pass was BBS. Third pass just to see what would happen - bearing Mantic's result in mind. No nicks or even weepers. No redness or irritation. This is the best shaving razor I own.

Now, what am I going to do with the other 30 razors I have collected. :001_huh::laugh:

You see ... that is exactly my problem!! haha Even though I have other razors that I love, a BBS with the R41 is something special ...:thumbup1:

Thank you for all of the suggestions, I still have faith that I can get this thing to work on a daily basis! I will try the preshave, continue the steep angle, and pick up some different blades.
When I manage to carefully get through a shave without a nick, it is one hell of a nice shave :)

Thank you for all of the suggestions, I still have faith that I can get this thing to work on a daily basis! I will try the preshave, continue the steep angle, and pick up some different blades.
When I manage to carefully get through a shave without a nick, it is one hell of a nice shave :)
Cold water helped me a lot with irritation and made me a daily shaver :) Still that is YMMV - no preshave and prep, except of cold water splash, have any positive influence for my shave...

Top Bottom