What's new

Zojirushi water warmers

I finally broke down and bought a Zojirushi water warmer for my tea. Having just microwaved water in a pyrex measuring bowl for years I decided it would be nice to make tea drinking a bit easier and quicker. I am trying to give up soda and I wanted to remove the temptation of instant gratification of just grabbing the 2 liter from the fridge. So now having sunk all this money in this fancy tea kettle my questions are for anybody who might have one also; Do these things require any special handling/maintenance and more importantly are they reliable?

I'd use filtered water and avoid letting it run dry (I had an ancient one--maybe that isn't a problem with new ones). Follow any cleaning instructions in the manual. Don't worry--Zoji makes workhorses. Enjoy!

While I don't have a Zoji, the 3 liter Panasonic Thermo Pot that I got a couple of weeks ago appears to be virtually identical. So far, I like it a lot.

Any special handling that your Zoji needs should be detailed in the instructions. For my Panasonic that includes not filling it directly from the tap (risk of water getting in the electronics) and cleaning it out with a citrus cleaner to remove the scale when it builds up. Because of the special liner in it other cleaners are not recommended.

BTW, the cost for my Panasonic was under $80.

I couldn't find a Panasonic locally. I am one of those guys that likes to touch something before I buy it. I loved the pictures in the instruction booklet. The cartoons of people burning themselves are great. I didn't know if there was anything above and beyond what was in there for care. You know, any quirks you may have discovered.

A great place to learn about product quirks is customer reviews at sites like amazon.com. I like to check out the reviews for that reason. I can't remember hearing much negative about the Zojirushi, they seem to be well regarded.

zojirushi is pretty good. My wife bought one for me couple weeks ago and it is terrific. I stopped using all my other kettles. It's too good to be true! Water taste okay but with an addition of meifeng stone, the water is smoother and has thicker body. The stones really make noticeable difference.

I don't turn off my zoji other than putting it into 7 hr sleep. My family constantly uses it and it was 10 times worth the money.

The new Panasonic ones now have charcoal non-sticky coating that suppose to make the water "10%" taste better. I asked around and found out that the difference is more noticeable if the water is hard. This is the first generation product so I decided to wait until 2,3rd generation product.

Still these things are really good, worth the money.

zojirushi is pretty good. My wife bought one for me couple weeks ago and it is terrific. I stopped using all my other kettles. It's too good to be true! Water taste okay but with an addition of meifeng stone, the water is smoother and has thicker body. The stones really make noticeable difference.

I don't turn off my zoji other than putting it into 7 hr sleep. My family constantly uses it and it was 10 times worth the money.

The new Panasonic ones now have charcoal non-sticky coating that suppose to make the water "10%" taste better. I asked around and found out that the difference is more noticeable if the water is hard. This is the first generation product so I decided to wait until 2,3rd generation product.

Still these things are really good, worth the money.

More details please. G@@gle made things as clear as mud. :smile:

You know, the usual. :smile:
Who
What is a meifeng stone?
When
Where do you purchase one?
Why
How is it used (ie. in the water heater)?

Is the stone more likely to be used with soft or hard water or either? Where did you learn about the stones?

You know, the usual. :smile:
Who
What is a meifeng stone?
When
Where do you purchase one?
Why
How is it used (ie. in the water heater)?

Is the stone more likely to be used with soft or hard water or either? Where did you learn about the stones?

Oh, the stone!
Unfortunately, the stones are not availalbe in North America. I think you can find some sources but none are reliable as far as my research goes. I got my mother-in-law to buy couple kgs from Japan where the company had a joint operation with a german company. She bought it offline. It was about $100 for 3kgs about 80-100 small rocks.

the instruction says I need to boil the water in salt water for 20-30mins then dry it for couple hours to a day. Then put them in your water source and leave it there at least 6-8 hours for desired effects. The company says the minerals in the stone runs out after 6-8 months of usage but I think that's not true. I think re-mineralization happens with boiling with water.

There has been much study on Meifen stone in Asia but I couldn't find much research in English.

I use these stones when boiling water. I boil the water in my kettle with the stones in the water. I put about 3 small rocks in a 1 ltr of water. I put about 7-8 rocks in my 4 ltr Zojirushi and taste significant change. The water is much thicker and smoother. It surely doesn't beat the water change that happens with tetsubin but I am happy with zoji and meifeng combo.

Top Bottom