What's new

Zippo for pipes

Nothing beats a traditional wooden kitchen match for lighting a pipe.

I'm with you on that one for most tobacco, but with a just-rubbed heavy flake such as a Lakeland blend and a tight Franck's fill, you can really feel the benefit from a gas lighter at the beginning. Subtle relights and "booster lights" are perfect territory for a Swan Vesta. Though, if all I had was a good quality match to get a stoke going, I wouldn't be complaining.
I actually threw 2 Zippos in the trash a few months ago because I was just sick of their temperamental nature and having to refill them all the time. I did everything I could do maintain them and keep them happy, only ever used Zippo fuel, got new wicks in promptly and they didn't reward my effort at all. Plus, at -Celcius, they just don't want to light. I'm sticking with gas from now on, but have yet to find a preferred brand.

I'm with you on that one for most tobacco, but with a just-rubbed heavy flake such as a Lakeland blend and a tight Franck's fill, you can really feel the benefit from a gas lighter at the beginning. Subtle relights and "booster lights" are perfect territory for a Swan Vesta. Though, if all I had was a good quality match to get a stoke going, I wouldn't be complaining.
I actually threw 2 Zippos in the trash a few months ago because I was just sick of their temperamental nature and having to refill them all the time. I did everything I could do maintain them and keep them happy, only ever used Zippo fuel, got new wicks in promptly and they didn't reward my effort at all. Plus, at -Celcius, they just don't want to light. I'm sticking with gas from now on, but have yet to find a preferred brand.
I just started smoking a pipe in March and, around that time, Smokers Forums was taking orders for the 2010 SF Zippo. I ordered one and bought another one locally as a backup. I do all my first lights with a wooden kitchen match and all my relights with the Zippo (because I can use up a lot matches). You're probably right about gas being better in general, but I like things with a little tradition behind them, which is probably why I shave with a straight. Practicality does have some weight in my thinking but I guess not enough.

You still can't beat a simple match...no inserts, special fuel or anything...

since I mostly smoke outside or while driving a match isn't practical.. refueling my zippo's takes maybe 2 or 3 minutes on Sat mornings. most of my Zippo's I pick up at flea markets, etc.. for under $5. I send them to Zippo requesting a pipe insert and they come back with new and orig inserts and everything tightened up.

tip to cut down on evaporation while you have the insert out refueling run a little vasoline around the inside lip of the case before sliding the insert back in.

proxy.php

My early pipes, flask and the Zippo Pipe Lighter...

I have heard that the number of Hash marks on the bottom of the lighter is indicitive of the level of quality of the lighter...2 hash marks good, 3 is better....my brother had a Zippo with 4 hash marks...he was impressed, till he looked at my pipe lighter and saw 6 hash marks...

i don't know that more is better, or really what the hash marks mean...any thoughts?

I personally use matches at all times. I use them while I drive. It can be a pain in heavy wind, but I can pipe lit. I used to use a zippo with high end fuel and the pipe insert. It was good until I started using matches.

proxy.php

My early pipes, flask and the Zippo Pipe Lighter...

I have heard that the number of Hash marks on the bottom of the lighter is indicitive of the level of quality of the lighter...2 hash marks good, 3 is better....my brother had a Zippo with 4 hash marks...he was impressed, till he looked at my pipe lighter and saw 6 hash marks...

i don't know that more is better, or really what the hash marks mean...any thoughts?

this:
http://www.zippoclick.com/collecting/dateCodes.aspx

Top Bottom