What's new

Zippo for pipes

As a recent convert to pipes, I must sing the praises of a Zippo with the special pipe insert!

I've been a lifelong fan of Zippo lighters and have used a variety of fuels in them...even dipping one in a petrol tank to refill one in a pinch :lol:

For my first few days smoking a pipe I was using a regular Zippo (filled with Swan fluid) and it was great, particularly smoking outside :001_smile

However, since yesterday I've been using the pipe version....and it's even better! :thumbup: Nice and easy to get an even light and it even works when relighting the bottom third of the bowl.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I am torn in the zippo pipe inserts. They are nice outside, even in a moderate wind, but I absolutely cannot get a good charring light with one. So I end up carrying a zippo, and a soft flame butane lighter. The butane for my initial light, and then the zippo for any subsequent relights.

I am torn in the zippo pipe inserts. They are nice outside, even in a moderate wind, but I absolutely cannot get a good charring light with one. So I end up carrying a zippo, and a soft flame butane lighter. The butane for my initial light, and then the zippo for any subsequent relights.

I've got the wick cut fairly high and it seems to work okay. A butane lighter just seems a bit harsh the couple of times I've used it.

:yikes: A gasoline lighter for pipe tobacco? To each his own I guess.

The Swan fluid is "extra refined" so I don't notice any taste.

I've been using a Zippo pipe lighter lately myself. I use it sparingly and let it air out for a few seconds before getting it near the pipe. So far no real issues.

ive used a pipe specific zippo for a bit mostly for outside use, i have noticed that the zippo will leave a lighter fluid taste at first apon initial light but it fades after a few puffs. but in my opinion nothing compares to the strike of a match the entire experience of lighting seems much more refined. haha if that makes sense? to me using matches gives smoking an old school feel. anyone else feel like there is a totaly diffrent atmosphere acompinied by the method in which you light?

I've been using Zippos for years now and find them to be quite acceptable and even preferable to other pipe lighters. They're great in the wind and very reliable as well as durable. They can also come in a wide variety of cases. We can even get a B&B lighter made. Hmmm.... that's an interesting idea.

Last edited:

That's been my experience also, good only for relights.

I've got the wick cut fairly high and it seems to work okay. A butane lighter just seems a bit harsh the couple of times I've used it.

Nothing beats a traditional wooden kitchen match for lighting a pipe.

Some of the fuels available for Zippos are a bit harsh and would taint a pipe or cigar.

However, I do find that the Swan fluid is not one of these (I think it's similar to Zippo's own "improved" version)

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I use the new Zippo fuel in the black can. Sometimes I will get a taste of the fuel as I am lighting the pipe, but it only lasts a second, and after 1 or 2 puffs it's gone, with no lingering effects.

using a match is nice sitting by the fireplace on a winter night but of zero value when trying to light outside or driving down the road. I have the Zippo pipe lighter and have no problem when using the Zippo fuel in the black can. Just light it and wait a second and the naplam smell will go away. I also had an old full size Zippo I sent into them requesting a pipe insert. they sent it back cleaned up with pipe insert and the orig insert. (no charge). I also keep a couple of the larger Bic's in each car, a couple in my fishing vest and fanny pack as backup.

using a match is nice sitting by the fireplace on a winter night but of zero value when trying to light outside or driving down the road. I have the Zippo pipe lighter and have no problem when using the Zippo fuel in the black can. Just light it and wait a second and the naplam smell will go away. I also had an old full size Zippo I sent into them requesting a pipe insert. they sent it back cleaned up with pipe insert and the orig insert. (no charge). I also keep a couple of the larger Bic's in each car, a couple in my fishing vest and fanny pack as backup.

+1 I use matches when I'm indoors but for walking around my zippo does very well. Let it burn for second and it doesn't taint the pipe. I also use the newer zippo fuel.

+1 I use matches when I'm indoors but for walking around my zippo does very well. Let it burn for second and it doesn't taint the pipe. I also use the newer zippo fuel.

I don't find the new fuel as pungent and I don't really detect if I let the lighter burn for just a moment. It's never really been an issue with me.

Top Bottom