What's new

Zipper or Button Fly?

I was getting dressed this morning and I remembered how my daddy used to tell me that the zipper is the Mark of the Devil. I make sure that all my trousers have a button fly. What about you fellas?

Pretty crazy, isn't it? Instead of thinking about how good things used to be or how we have a leg up on somebody else, why don't we focus on more productive stuff? Maybe try to make posts that don't force people to either walk or choose sides? I think we can still have a lot of fun here without drawing lines. How 'bout it?

Last edited:
I have pants with both and it's really an after thought for me. The look/fit of the pants are what's most important. If they were custom made pants I'd probably pick a zipper over buttons, as it seems to me that their less noticeable when they are not done up.

Last edited:
I just bought a pair of 501 Levi jeans with the button fly, every time I go to the washroom I curse a little since I can't just unzip and go. It turns into a production.

Zipper! Though I've never had pants that were button fly either. I feel like a zipper is easier. But for the amount of effort put forth, so is a button fly. It's a toss up, but I'll stick with my zippers. :)

I personally find it exotic when a pair of pants has a zipper, a button, and a clasp! Like Tux pants.

I must have missed something, the topic seems pretty innocuous.

I have only ever seen button fly on jeans. I have a few pairs with buttons. I usually just wear what fits and worry about the fly later. The zipper makes it easier, but not a deal breaker if it doesnt have one.

I can go either way.....

I agree with the second half of your post. Why do we need to pick sides and draw lines in the sand? What's the point?

I prefer buttons. Zippers freeze!

Also all my well worn jeans the buttons pop open with a careful well placed tug so I don't have to take hours to undo them.

I must have missed something, the topic seems pretty innocuous.

I have only ever seen button fly on jeans. I have a few pairs with buttons. I usually just wear what fits and worry about the fly later. The zipper makes it easier, but not a deal breaker if it doesnt have one.

Most of my dress pants also have buttons. For some reason I find them more comfortable to wear.

Except for jeans, and uniform pants (BDUs and ABUs both have button flies for field repairable use)....zipper.

I'm not picky, used both, don't have a preference.

The best everyday jeans are STF Levi's 501s Button flies. When you go to the bathroom you can just tear the fly open with one hand, which makes up for the inconvenience of buttoning up.

I prefer 501's, but that is habit of wearing them for nearly 20 years. As for the "unzip and go", I have no issues undoing them, just pull apart. The time comes into buttoning them up. Any Navy guys should be adept at the process after wearing dress blues with the 13 button fly.

If I had my way, all my pants would have a button fly. A zipper can fail or get snagged when you are out & about. With a button fly, if a button falls off, you still have three or four buttons to keep you fly closed. Some people have said that it takes too long to open, I have an easy fix, try to not cut your lead time too short.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Top Bottom