What's new

zed117's Year of Stirling

Alright everyone, I joined the 2015 Sabbatical and thought about what I want to use for a whole year without buying anything else. I decided I had a lot of soap that I did not want to keep for one reason or another. I Sold/gave away nearly all 20+ soaps except 4 to fill my shave den with soaps I would love!

I will Confess I am a huge Stirling fan I love the slickness and scents and for me it is simply my favorite soap maker I have ever tried. I have only bought three scents from Rod, so I am excited to see how the rest turn out!

Soaps:
- Old Spice
-Ben Franklin
-Scott's pine sheep
-Nag Champa
-Vanilla Sandalwood
-Noir
-Sharp Dressed Man
-Bay Rum
-Black Ice
-Tuscany
-Port au prince
-Margaritas in the Arctic
-Bonaparte(sample)
-Gin and tonic(sample)
-Texas on fire(sample)

Balm:

-Bay Rum
-Sandalwood
-Sharp Dressed man
-Noir
-Margaritas in Arctic balm, MITA splash
-Ben Franklin (witch hazel splash only)

A very kind Member here also just sent me a puck of Pine sheep, and a sample of Texas on fire, Ben Franklin, and Gin and tonic.

I am looking to forward to using Mostly Stirling soaps for a a year. I will update my thoughts and reviews in this thread since this is almost Rods entire store :p

Last edited:
Hey Zed, I really admire your dedication to Stirling - my favorite overall, but I don't think I could commit to a full year!

Scents are such a subjective thing....I really love all the Stirling glacials. I started with MITA and the when full-on menthol after that. I highly recommend Ozark Mountain as well - probably the best all-around performer for me - lather, protection, slickness.

Best of luck and may the Stirling force be with you....

I've used the Stirling Bay Rum and Captain's Choice. They are very different. Stirling's has a note of Anise in it (at least to me it does) and it gives the Bay Rum a sweet richness that I find fantastic! Captain's Choice is also very good, but to me it's less sweet.

Hey Zed, I really admire your dedication to Stirling - my favorite overall, but I don't think I could commit to a full year!

Scents are such a subjective thing....I really love all the Stirling glacials. I started with MITA and the when full-on menthol after that. I highly recommend Ozark Mountain as well - probably the best all-around performer for me - lather, protection, slickness.

Best of luck and may the Stirling force be with you....

Thank you haha, I did keep TOBS sandalwood, Dr Selby and Razorock Don Marco. Just for variety I guess haha. There is just something about how my skin and shave feels right after a good slick moisturizing shave with Rods Soap and Balm. Its going to be a fun year.

Also I remember how STRONG my first order smelled with the Glacial Obsidian and MITA. I Imagine this Box is going to EXPLODE when I open it.

I am looking forward to Sharp Dressed Man the most, followed by Tuscany. I was on the Fence on Ozark mountain, figured I had enough soap in this order to last me for the year :lol: I feel great about having this order, really going to add to my shaves to have this variety and getting to know them this year.

EDIT: Wow, 700 posts? in two months hahaha I need help. Like your cartman avatar btw.

Last edited:
I have a full puck of the Bay Rum but haven't tried it yet. Was hoping to as this is the perfect time of the year to shave with it. But I can tell you that the scent really appeals to me.

Been working down a puck of the cool. One of my favorite scents to shave with. Has a great candycane scent that works year round for me.

Also like their aftershave with witch hazel. Have the vetiver scent that and really like it as well. Look forward to trying more of them as well.

Sometimes I think I should just stick with Stirling soaps. But there are so many great soaps/creams out there to try and use. Stirling soaps will always have a place in my current rotation.

I'm not much of a fan of either Bay Rum or Stirling Spice (or whatever he calls his Old Spice type). The soap itself is still up to his usual standard, but the scents didn't do much for me when used against Sharp Dressed Man. The others simply wilt in Sharp Dressed Man's presence.

I'm not much of a fan of either Bay Rum or Stirling Spice (or whatever he calls his Old Spice type). The soap itself is still up to his usual standard, but the scents didn't do much for me when used against Sharp Dressed Man. The others simply wilt in Sharp Dressed Man's presence.

I am not a Classic old spice fan, I love the Wolfthorn and original just not the classic. I really hope Rod comes out with something that smells like Sea buckthorn from Muhle.

I thought Original = Classic (Old Spice)

Never tried the spray or cologne. But the Original Old Spice Deodorant and the Classic Old spice deodorant smell completely different.

Anyone every try Port Au prince? it has French green clay which sounds great. I love the Black Clay in the Anise.

Congratulations and good luck with the sabbatical! Even using my principal soap, I just couldn't go a whole year without buying at least one more puck! :blush:
By the way, it looks like you may need more soap to last you the whole year! :biggrin1:

There have been a couple of memorable "Year of" dedications to a single brand. DJH did a year of Harris soaps in 2013, IIRC. The beauty of it is you'll be a total Jedi with that brand. In 2015, I'm devoting the year to soft and artisan soaps. I have a sample of Sharp Dressed Man that came with a Rudy Vey brush, and I'd be happy to fly along as wingman when you get to that one.

There have been a couple of memorable "Year of" dedications to a single brand. DJH did a year of Harris soaps in 2013, IIRC. The beauty of it is you'll be a total Jedi with that brand. In 2015, I'm devoting the year to soft and artisan soaps. I have a sample of Sharp Dressed Man that came with a Rudy Vey brush, and I'd be happy to fly along as wingman when you get to that one.

Its going to be a fun one! I added Old spice to my order, I just had too :p. I might do a one a week or something. Have not decided how I want to rotate them

strop

Now half as wise
Vintage in 2016. I could go for that! Yardley, Old Spice, Colgate, Williams, and a NOS puck of Barbershop if that counts.

I went out today to get some Old spice Aftershave to go with my Soap. I am surprised I like it! I remember hating the stuff just a few years ago. I swear Wet shaving has changed my nose, I use to wear axe a few years ago as a teen, now it smells like chemical crap. Really dig the classic Scent. I would still put Old spice Original High endurance a bit ahead, it smells heavenly.

Top Bottom