What's new

Yuck! I need some help here.

I am not a huge fragrance guy,but i have been wanting to expand my cologne collection a little bit. Summer scents are easy for me and i have plenty, but winter is killing me. The story...... i tried some Versace Eros (want long lasting and decent power for the cold). Thought it smelled good on my wrist in the store. Then next day. One spray on the wrist before work. Had to come home and scrub it off. It was so sickening sweet, vanilla, bubble gum, sugarcandy, it made my head swim and was nauseating. Mont blonc individual, blind buy from good reviews. One spray on wrist. Nausea. Almost vomited it was so sickley sweet. So bad with those two that even hearing the words tonka bean, vanilla, oriental and benzoin make me dizzy and uncomfortable. I have D&G Intenso, it is a verry fresh and deep scent that lasts pretty good on my skin. Love it. Also have acqua di gio profumo. Exquisite and cuts through the cold weather but it's still really for warmer weather. HELP ME WITH WITH SOME SUGGESTIONS! I ned two or three more that are spicy, woody, smokey, leathery, floral, fresh but warm, long lasting, but no tonka bean, benzoin, or vanilla nausea inducing sick sweetness hell! Haha. Thanks folks!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Read "Perfumes from A to Z," the go-to reference by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez.

Then lurk around those other two fragrance forums ... No need to join, of course.

Then realize, no matter what, you'll see great disappointment and great surprise joy with blind buys.

(Then wake up one day with 30 bottles of colognes!) and using them up will take longer than your 50-something soaps ...

AA

Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather is a very nice warm leather fragrance.
On me it lasts most of the day.

I am not a huge fragrance guy,but i have been wanting to expand my cologne collection a little bit. Summer scents are easy for me and i have plenty, but winter is killing me. The story...... i tried some Versace Eros (want long lasting and decent power for the cold). Thought it smelled good on my wrist in the store. Then next day. One spray on the wrist before work. Had to come home and scrub it off. It was so sickening sweet, vanilla, bubble gum, sugarcandy, it made my head swim and was nauseating. Mont blonc individual, blind buy from good reviews. One spray on wrist. Nausea. Almost vomited it was so sickley sweet. So bad with those two that even hearing the words tonka bean, vanilla, oriental and benzoin make me dizzy and uncomfortable. I have D&G Intenso, it is a verry fresh and deep scent that lasts pretty good on my skin. Love it. Also have acqua di gio profumo. Exquisite and cuts through the cold weather but it's still really for warmer weather. HELP ME WITH WITH SOME SUGGESTIONS! I ned two or three more that are spicy, woody, smokey, leathery, floral, fresh but warm, long lasting, but no tonka bean, benzoin, or vanilla nausea inducing sick sweetness hell! Haha. Thanks folks!

What's your price range, because there are some really good inexpensive juices and some fantastic niche juices.

I'm not a huge fragrance guy either but D.R. Harris Windsor might have what you're looking for. I just had a sample in a recent order and I'm going to buy a big bottle of it soon. To my inexperienced nose it's sort of woody with citrus and leather and a bit spicy.

My go-to scent for Winter is Tabac.
You'll know immediately whether you love it or hate it ... there is no middle ground.
if you love it, get the whole range of Tabac Original products.
Nothing goes better with Tabac except more Tabac.

You'll know immediately whether you love it or hate it ... there is no middle ground.

AMEN!! Tabac :thumbup:

Another example of YMMV. I wore Versace Eros Saturday night at a XMAS party. Can't begin to tell you how many compliments I received from women as well as men. Personally I really like the scent. I apply it to my neck and chest.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
but no tonka bean, benzoin, or vanilla nausea inducing sick sweetness hell! Haha. Thanks folks!

Well, I'm not going to be much help as what you're trying to avoid sounds like my perfect fragrance. :w00t:

I recently tried a Knize Ten sample and suggest you do the same. I don't do blind buys unless I stumble across something with a ridiculously cheap price tag.

One way to go about this is to browse around on the Fragrantica site. I believe you can search out fragrances based on individual notes. Maybe start with a few notes/accords that you like - spicy, woody, smokey, leathery, floral, etc. and pick a handful from the results. I am a big advocate of buying samples rather than blind buying bottles. There are a bunch of sites that sell samples (surrender to chance, decantshop, luckyscent). You are sure to find several you love. Good luck.

Guys thanks for the replies. I think i will try the sample places and check out some of the suggestions. It may just be my skin chemistry that turns stuff sickley sweet if it has a dab of sugary in it. I dunno, cause i did get a compliment on the Eros but i was thanks gotta vomit now..... my price range is 20 to 100. I know theres some low priced gems floating around out there to.

To satisfy a few parts of your request, try Eau des Baux from L'Occitane. Readily available and a nice warm, spicy sent.
If you've had an opportunity to use Caties LPV, or even I Coloniali Mango Oil, the scent isn't dissimilar.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Tabac, for sure. Also great for winter: Old Spice, Pinaud Special Reserve, and Quorum. Even though it's more of an aftershave, Proraso Red has a fantastic woody sandalwood scent that sticks around a bit.

Got a few suggestions in different price range.

1. Burberry - London, great scent for the price. The only downside is the performance which is not that great.

2. Guy Laroche - Drakkar Noir, classic, masculine and cheap.

3. YSL Kouros, also a classic. Super masculine!

4. Tom Ford - Noir, powdery violet, super performance!

5. Andy Tauer L'Air du desert marocain, a little over your budget but this is unique and awsome in so many ways.

6. Miller Harris - Feuilles de Tabac, soapy gentleman scent.

strop

Now half as wise
Geo F. Trumper Spanish Leather is a very nice warm leather fragrance.
On me it lasts most of the day.

+1 Wearing it today, in fact. 2 sprays are plenty.

Another favorite, and in your price range.

To satisfy a few parts of your request, try Eau des Baux from L'Occitane. Readily available and a nice warm, spicy sent.

Another one that I enjoy, but I would try a sample in the store. To me it has just a hint of something sweet. And while you are there, sample the Vetyver!

Top Bottom