What's new

YSL la nuit de l'homme

Any love for this out there? My wife likes it...Im on the fence...There seems to be some mixed reviews out there on basenotes. Any thoughts on this one?

You know, I don't mind it, but I feel like it's too closely related to Allure Homme by Chanel. Swap out the ginger for allspice and violet leaf for labdanum, and you pretty much have Allure (original). Smells too '90s and a little formulaicly "department store" for my taste, but I can see someone liking and wearing it regularly. Not sure why it's labeled as a night frag, though.

You know, I don't mind it, but I feel like it's too closely related to Allure Homme by Chanel. Swap out the ginger for allspice and violet leaf for labdanum, and you pretty much have Allure (original). Smells too '90s and a little formulaicly "department store" for my taste, but I can see someone liking and wearing it regularly. Not sure why it's labeled as a night frag, though.

What else would you recommend that has similar characteristics that are more modern?

Pretty typical modern-ish department store scent. Not going to be much love for this one around this message board would be my guess.

Not necessarily, bad, but most of the guys around here have pretty discerning noses and like more standout type scents.

What else would you recommend that has similar characteristics that are more modern?

to be quite honest, I don't really know. The scent profile of Allure Homme/YSL L'Homme is one that I haven't really explored in more recent releases. I've read that Original Santal by Creed is very similar in a lot of ways. Haven't tried it myself.

Last edited:
I tried it at a duty free shop when I was at O' Hare airport. I liked it... Not super original but a well crafted scent that I could see myself wearing from time to time.

pretty typical modern-ish department store scent. Not going to be much love for this one around this message board would be my guess.

Not necessarily, bad, but most of the guys around here have pretty discerning noses and like more standout type scents.

+1

I have it, and it is a solid scent. Not outstanding, but no slouch either.

I think it more closely resembles Armani Code in feel... notes are a little different yet similar.

Armani code is the better performer.

It's another fairly new contemporary scent, and that's not meant as a slam. It's just this crowd in here has a tendency towards scents that tend to be a bit more traditional and have been around awhile.

If dating and/or smelling good for youngish women is your primary motivation, many of the newest designer releases are a fine way to go. La Nuit is favored by a lot of young guys. The current releases are most easily obtainable and heavily marketed. Therefore many young men buy them and as a result many young women smell them and they become "appealing" to them. If you're married and your wife really likes it, go for it. If you like it, go for it.

Being in marketing, I know that many of us here are outside of the main demographics that advertisers target. And by attitude, we're all off the radar of a big portion of the men's grooming industry in general (Gillette/Shick). Some of our attitude towards eschewing contemporary shaving marketing extends into other areas of male grooming like scent.

I have a ton of mature-ish and wet shaver-ish scents. Some women like them; some women don't.

Last edited:
Pretty typical modern-ish department store scent. Not going to be much love for this one around this message board would be my guess.

+1. I felt this way about YSL Pour Homme too. YSL tends to be very light and fresh but still smells like it belongs in a department store.

The most preferred YSL on this board seems to be Rive Gauche

Top Bottom