What's new

Your vote for worst cream ever?

Real Shaving Company, the cream shaved fine, it kind of dried out my skin but not too bad, but the smell was horrible, it smelled like roadkill, and I could smell it all day long despite rinsing my face applying witch hazel and a couple applications of aftershave.

TRSCo cream does have a very generic scent, but to my nose it certainly doesn't remind me of road kill (not that I actually ever smelled it).

The performance, on the other hand, is extremely good, and so I don't see it deserving a spot here. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

With just going through my creme samples tobs eton college I think has been the worse.. my wife and I are younger (26/27) so for us it smelled of old lady perfume. It was a struggle of a shave to get passed that potent smell.

+1 for the Caswell Massey. I couldn't make good lather and the scent was worse than Arko. OK, an exaggeration, but almost as bad.

Marty

Anything by Nivea. Years ago I picked up their cream and balm. Used both the next shave and I couldn't tell which of the two was giving me a nasty rash. Tried the cream alone for the next shave. Rash. The next shave, with canned goop (don't judge me!), I used the balm. Rash.
Into the trash both went.

Portland General Store Racer in Whiskey scent. Scent was fine, clay was not. I think they have since reformulated. I am trying to remember if the other one I disliked was Blind Barber or Ursa Major. One of these was a bust.

Indian Old Spice Shulton. The lather is okay, but the scent really isn't for me. It's just too much of a soapy smell to be pleasurable. That's just my opinion though.

C&E Indian Sandalwood.. Really wanted to like it, because the cream version smelled great after lathering but the soap went to the trash.

Doesn't lather and when it does, by the time you finishing painting your face and grab your razor, in seconds it's all gone and dried up. Therefore, zero protection and zero slip. Just a bloody shave.

Coates lavender; TOBS lavender. The odd thing is that was an old-time Yardley lavender shaving soap user. The difference? Yardley smelled like, um, lavender, while neither the Coates nor the TIOBS does; they're just nasty and artificial.

Godrej. I know it gets a lot of love around here, but I couldn't stand the smell. It lathered fine and shaved ok ... not the best, not the worst. But the smell! Smelled like dirt to me. Also, the cap on the tube broke (but that's happened with TOBS, too).

It's the only product I've thrown away. It went into the trash can and I've never looked back.

Also, I once got a sample of J.M. Fraser which I absolutely could not get to lather. I know they had a bad batch a while back, and this was shortly after that, but I was assured it was from a new batch. Didn't work at all for me.

As for worst shave cream for me, it was Burt's Bees.

yep, took me for ever to get rid of it. It had it's use for shaving during a water shortage. Like putting hand lotion on your face and shaving. I did try to lube the face and put another cream over it but it normally caused the other to go flat. I think I was using Prorasso over the top at the time.

I tried the Coates Lime and Rose I think. The lime was the fakest lime scent I ever wafted. The Rose was just as cheap scent smelling.

Top Bottom