What's new

Your Shaving Fears

Let's admit it, almost all of us (in not all) have fear or apprehension about some aspect of shaving. It could be using a certain blade, running out of a favourite product, shaving a certain part of your body or even razor cleanliness. Your fear doesn't have to be rational nor does it have to be sensible.

What shaving "fears" do I have? Well, I'm worried that I'll some day be deprived of a favoured product. A world without Proraso shave cream! No! However, I truly fear I'll live long enough to see the day that shaving with a Mach 3 razor and canned shaving gel will be seen as "traditional" shaving.

So, what's your shaving "fear"?

Last edited:
Something that happened to me recently is I stumbled across some Life Brand (I know you're familiar with these DE Shaver) from Shoppers Drug Mart twin blade Sensor carts. They were $1.99 for 5. I bought them out, 19 packs which makes a total of 95 carts. I was worried they'd no longer carry them as they haven't been on sale in well over a year. I often frequent that store and this is the first time they were on special so I took that as perhaps they're trying to get rid of the remaining stock before it gets replaced with something else. The other Shoppers Drug Marts in my area don't carry these carts at all. Only this particular one. They aren't as good as the real Sensor carts, but I get 5 shaves each. Not bad.

That's my problem, I fear of running out of a fav product so I go bananas stocking up.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I fear that even a minor earthquake will cause my stocks of shaving goodies to come crashing down upon me, pinning me helplessly beneath a pile of Trumper and TOBS, Superspeeds and Slims, Bengalls and Bokers - where I will lie, unaided, my cries for help muffled into obscurity by Badger and Boar hair until I succumb to starvation.

Rescue workers will find my dehydrated but pleasantly scented corpse - poisoned when I drank the Aqua Velva and Vegetal as a result of being driven to insanity by thirst.

The final indignity will be that some unknowing and uncaring mouth breathing cartridge user will toss my carefully accumulated collection into a dumpster after being hired to clear the house.

I weep.

Two opposite fears: First, that the list of mythical shaving products that I will never get to try will keep growing (tallow Penhaligon's, Old Spice soap, P160, all that vintage juice B&Bers are hoarding, etc.). Second, that my SSAD will turn into a curse, as the scent dissappears from pucks that take me the next 10 years to finish.

i fear that even a minor earthquake will cause my stocks of shaving goodies to come crashing down upon me, pinning me helplessly beneath a pile of trumper and tobs, superspeeds and slims, bengalls and bokers - where i will lie, unaided, my cries for help muffled into obscurity by badger and boar hair until i succumb to starvation.

Rescue workers will find my dehydrated but pleasantly scented corpse - poisoned when i drank the aqua velva and vegetal as a result of being driven to insanity by thirst.

The final indignity will be that some unknowing and uncaring mouth breathing cartridge user will toss my carefully accumulated collection into a dumpster after being hired to clear the house.

I weep.

i lold hard!

My greatest fear besides running out of blades, is to cut myself seriously on the jaws beneath my ears, I wear quite large earrings in both ears, and they gets in the way for the razor when shaving the back of my jaw, I'm afraid that at some point I will loose my consentration and slide the razor sideways to get underneath the rings and slice my self. :blush:

"you could just take it out" you think, and yes I have thought of that, but they have been a part of my and who I am for almost twenty years (2/3 of my life), and as of right now that's not an alternative.:tongue_sm

when I dropped my straight razor, I feared I was going to cut my foot..
but it only hit the ceramic tile..
then I feared that the blade was ruined..
it almost was, but after some re-beveling the fears turned out to be unfounded.
now I fear the day when I will not be able to use anything but electrics
and then I think to myself and remember...
Luk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Luk 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
and I realize I have nothing to fear, but to be thankful :thumbup1:

I'm a young guy and fully expect to shave another 50 years at least.
Recently the thought crossed my mind, What is going to change in the next 50 years that may seriously affect my shaving? Then I got scared. One of the only things keeping wet shavers going are the developing nations pumping out blades, soaps, etc. We wet shavers do not have enough buying power to keep all our favourite products going! Am I going to be able to teach my sons to shave or will I have to let them learn on their own because I've never used those products? (Naturally I will be hoarding everything I love, locked in a vault which my family has no access to until I die).

I fear that I will never find a 2008 B&B LE brush for sale. I miss out every time there's one offered.
I fear I will never find a open comb slant for sale.
And lastly I fear this hobby will send me to the poor house. But at least I'll be the best shaved bum living underneath the freeway:thumbup:

when i dropped my straight razor, i feared i was going to cut my foot..
But it only hit the ceramic tile..
Then i feared that the blade was ruined..
It almost was, but after some re-beveling the fears turned out to be unfounded.
Now i fear the day when i will not be able to use anything but electrics
and then i think to myself and remember...

And i realize i have nothing to fear, but to be thankful :thumbup1:

+1

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm a young guy and fully expect to shave another 50 years at least.
Recently the thought crossed my mind, What is going to change in the next 50 years that may seriously affect my shaving? Then I got scared. One of the only things keeping wet shavers going are the developing nations pumping out blades, soaps, etc. We wet shavers do not have enough buying power to keep all our favourite products going! Am I going to be able to teach my sons to shave or will I have to let them learn on their own because I've never used those products? (Naturally I will be hoarding everything I love, locked in a vault which my family has no access to until I die).

Japan, Germany, France, Italy and the UK will undoubtedly be concerned that they are now developing nations! :lol:

Seriously though, I think costs may increase over time, as well as probably a decrease in some of the more obscure brands, but don't they always? This will always be a niche market, but I feel pretty comfortable that supplies will be available for decades to come.

I am afraid that at some point, either by changing manufacturing processes, or by reformulation, my very most trusted go-to shave products will begin giving me bad shaves, forcing me to start all over and find new go-to products.
Or that someday I will develop a horrible skin condition that will make it impossible for me to continue shaving with DEs.

Last edited:
I fear that even a minor earthquake will cause my stocks of shaving goodies to come crashing down upon me, pinning me helplessly beneath a pile of Trumper and TOBS, Superspeeds and Slims, Bengalls and Bokers - where I will lie, unaided, my cries for help muffled into obscurity by Badger and Boar hair until I succumb to starvation.

Rescue workers will find my dehydrated but pleasantly scented corpse - poisoned when I drank the Aqua Velva and Vegetal as a result of being driven to insanity by thirst.

I weep.

Funny enough, I typically don't like to talk about 'what if' type scenarios with SWMBO who happens to see 'what ifs' everywhere. The other day I was gazing lovingly at my latest additions and said, "You have to promise that if anything happens to me you'll make sure that these brushes and razors go to the boys!"

"So, THAT'S what you worry about if you were to die and leave me alone?"

fade to black to the sounds of me babbling explanations...

My only fear is that shaving will someday become the monotonous chore that it used to be...but I really don't think that will happen.

For me i don't know if it's a fear but i have a side of my face that needs more buffing to get that BBS feeling, so that area is always more prone to irritation, so when i shave that part i always go in a very carefull way.

Top Bottom