What's new

Your shave the day you started wetshaving

Me: Gillette Trac II Plus, Canned Gillette Shave Foam, Classic Old Spice Aftershave

And, go.

Edit:
That was high school.
First soap was Williams about 5 years ago with a VDH boar brush.
First non-cart was Gem 1912 about a year ago... Ouch!

Last edited:
Shaving with a DE: started in June of this year with a 1962 Gillette Slim, pharmacy Personna re-brands, VDH Luxury, and a VDH boar brush. Witch hazel and Nivea sensitive ASB to finish it up.

I don't remember what I started with in highschool, probably some sort of foam or goo from a can and a cheap disposable razor.

Last edited:
The first time I started DE razor shaving was in mid February 2014. I found a "budget" DE razor at a local store. I've been a DE razor shaver ever since. Before that I was wet shaving with carts.

Gillette Flair tip Super Speed
Wilkinson Sword DE Blades
Proraso Red Cream
Parker Silvertip
RazoRock Alum
Aubrey Organics City Rhythms
It was a rough first shave!

When I was 15 I used my father's Super Adjustable with whatever blade he had in it.
I didn't use any soap or cream, just water.
It took a total of about 10 seconds because I just had whiskers on the corners of my mouth and 2 hairs on my chin.

Since he passed away now I have that same razor. But now I use soap and cream. And I have a lot more whiskers.

Don't remember how long ago, but it was in the shower, I shaved My face and head; I used a cheep plastic disposable single blade, a bar of soap; I think it was Ivory or something like it . It's all kind of fuzzy in my mind I just remember there was lots of blood every where and I think I was screaming. At least that is what my wife told me when I came to.

When I was 15 I used my father's Super Adjustable with whatever blade he had in it.
I didn't use any soap or cream, just water.
It took a total of about 10 seconds because I just had whiskers on the corners of my mouth and 2 hairs on my chin.

Since he passed away now I have that same razor. But now I use soap and cream. And I have a lot more whiskers.
At 14, my upper lip sprouted blonde peach fuzz, as did my jawline and sideburns; there was nothing on my chin, and I left it alone all summer long. I thought I was the only one who knew it had grown out, the color didn't show up more than a few inches away. But the first day of school, the coach lined us all up up in PE and walked past us, peering closely at each of us, and checking off those who had shaved recently, or didn't need to yet.

I was told I'd have to see the Dean of Men if I didn't come to school the next day clean shaven. I already had several family hand me downs of DEs since my birthday the previous spring. I had no idea what I was doing for certain; I used bar soap lathered between my palms, and a new blade. I nicked myself in at least two places and stuck bits of tp to each one.

It is a bit more than a month short of 60 years ago. No one knew about disposable razors or multi-bladed cartridges yet, and when I kept nicking myself, an aunt gave me an SE. That was easier to get shaved with and far less dangerous in my hands than any DE. I could get by with shaves every other day for the first two years, and then my beard darkened so much I couldn't do that any longer.

Last edited:
Don't remember the DE, but, my first entry outside of a cart? Ever?

A Parker Push Type Shavette. I cut myself real good. I was in love.

Add in some Jermyn Street cream and a VDH brush and I was off.

My first DE shave was with a Merkur 34c and a Merkur blade. I don't remember what soap or cream. Mainly I remember drawing a lot of blood.

When I was 13, I'll be 42 in a week. I had told my Dad I wanted a "Silver Razor like his". I meant his Slim, he meant his Atra. He got me an Atra and whipped up some Old Spice soap, which he shaved with, and then handed me a can of Barbasol and told me that was quicker.

Sometime in late January 2014

Musgo Real classic Pre-shave soap
EJ DE89L
Astra SP
Wilkinsons sword Blue Bowl Soap
Wilkinsons sword brush

*I did use a shavette just after new years a couple of times....but it was pretty ugly.

Well, if shaving with a blade and water counts as wetshaving, then I guess it was probably a Mach 3 and some canned gel when I was a teenager at some point.

First proper DE shave was in March this year and it was...

Maggard MR4 razor
Arko Puck
Omega 13564
Shark Stainless blade
Nivea Sensitive ASB

And a whooooooole lotta styptic pencil.

Cheap TTO razor with personna rebrand blades and Neutrogena cream not foam or gel. I have to say it wasn't awful. The cream I actually still use when I clean up the back of my neck. It's better than the foams or gels I have used.

First wet shave was May 2014 with the EJ DE89, Van Der Hagen soap and Derby blade, Neutrogena Razor Defense post shave. Fairly nice, although the shaves have gotten better since then.

But my first shave was close to 20 years ago now. Schick Tracer FX with Gillette gel foam and Skin Bracer aftershave. Not so nice. I struggled for about 3 or 4 years with this setup without much success.

Ah my first. Muhle R41, Astra blade, Mitchell's wool fat, EJ Badger brush, and some Pre de Provence AS Balm. I learned so much that first nights shave and lost some blood, but overall it wasn't terrible.

Muhle 89, Proraso cream, Simpsons Special in best, can't remember the blade. It wasn't a Feather, though. Some blood. Much irritation. Had the whole family watching.

Top Bottom