What's new

Your preference: Classic aftershaves or modern aftershaves?

Which do you prefer - a classic aftershave that your father or grandfather may have used? Or one of the newer aftershaves like Nivea or Adidas, for example?

My Faves: Clubman, Floid Blue, Bay Rums (currently Cat O' Nine Tails, but always on the lookout for vintage Royall Bay Rhum).

Wet shaving for me is probably 99% about nostalgia. Just seems to transport me to my early youth during the act...

All of my aftershaves are classic but majority of my EDTs are modern.

Love classic idea of splashes, plus they're the ones still currently manufactured as such. But more importantly, for stuff that evaporates along with smell in minutes wouldn't want to pay EDT prices for them. So..

My only new aftershave is Issey Miyake Intense that I keep for occasions

I like to try ones from different era's. I have most of the Clubman's, Aqua Velva Varieties, Barbasol's, also some Adidas, Captains Choice, and the new Gillette stuff. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:
Definitely a classic guy...OS, AV, English Leather, and various Pinauds make up my regular rotation.

However, I just picked up a Fine sampler last week and really enjoy quite a few of them...not that I need more AS...but Platinum, Clean Vetiver, and AB are likely purchases in the near future.

I make my own aftershave, but it is inspired by the classics. Until tuen, I used both classic (aqua velva, clubman) and new (captains choice). They both have their place .

I have the classics... I use them a bit (clubman, aqua velva, old spice, ect.), but prefer the newer stuff in a classic format (American blend, floid blue, proraso, fine platinum, ect.). I'm in my older 20's... And altho like and appreciate the classics. I dont think i can pull them off as everyday shavers... I'm aging them like a fine wine until that day...
...but, some of the classics performance are tops!

Last edited:
Not only do I prefer the classics, but I prefer vintage over current versions those classics. That said I still like and use the current OS, AV, SB, and Clubman/Pinaud selections.

50/50 mix for me. Classics like Osage Rub, Aqua Velva, Pinaud VIBR, Old Spice and Vi-Jon Clone. St. Charles Shave products, Speick, and all the Fine products. !!!

Not only do I prefer the classics, but I prefer vintage over current versions those classics. That said I still like and use the current OS, AV, SB, and Clubman/Pinaud selections.

This is something that drives me crazy regarding vintage vs. new formulations. I can see a change if something has been deemed unsafe or we are going to damage the environment by continuing to harvest something that is endangered. But I don't think that is the case for most reformulations. Cost cutting, "look at me and what I did", creating supposed job security reasons for reformulation are never a good idea. There's a reason classic fragrances survive, people like them. Changing formulas loses customers.

I like the classics. OS, Clubman, Skin Bracer (and Barbasol Brisk), Wild Country. Most bay rums work for me. I manage to not obsess over re-formulations of the older brands.

I'm not sure when they started making Aqua Velva Ice Sport, but I like that too. And SWMBO loves Barbasol Pacific Rush, which I suppose isn't quite classic.

I'm sure I could find several modern ones I would enjoy, but I'm satisfied with the classic brands.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Mostly classic, but there are a few modern aftershaves like Fine and Captain's Choice I love as much as my trusted lotions.

Top Bottom