What's new

Your opinion on Keurig?

Hi gents,

I feel like I'm walking into the lion's den with this one: a bunch of caffeine-heads (myself included) who probably prefer the finely-controlled manual brewing options rather than this brainless, computerized gizmo. (FWIW, I like my Moka Pot but given the abundance of K-Cups in my house I can't exactly go and get my pound of ground coffee)

That being said - what's your take on Keurig? Is it the Mach3 of coffee and tea? Or is it perfectly acceptable when you need a caffeine fix?

You can get quite an array of coffee in K-cups.

Just about every blend possible under various brand names.

Unlike the Tassimo wihich is only Kraft coffees.

It's pretty good. You can get a filter to use your own beans or tea if you want. There are tons of pre-packaged coffees and teas too. I prefer a french press or my Krups, but I like my coffee very dark and I want more than one cup. The Keurig is great for a quick cup on your way out the door or after dinner.

I love using my Keurig it primarily functions as my cup out the door in the morning and sometimes I use it for hot water for my shaves. I purchased one for my office since there are such varying tastes and tend to purchase the Coffee Peoples Jet Fuel or Black Tiger brands for myself. I just started drinking the Revv as well which is to my tastes. Since I spend a lot of time with a head set on at my desk this makes life a little easier.

It is a perk at work. We've had a Keurig here at the office for the past 10 years. I luv me sum fresh brewed, and free coffee!:thumbup1:

But then again I'm not in the stratosphere of coffee snobbery either...but I do like a tasty cup o' black joe.

The Keurig coffee is better than instant and the adaptor that allows you to use your own coffee is a plus. I'm not a huge coffee fan, but when I do drink it I use a French Press.

I've had a cup from one of those in a few offices, and I must say it's decent coffee.

Can't say I'd spend the coin to get one of my own, but to someone who enjoys a reasonable cup of coffee once in a while, it's good.

If you plan on drinking a lot of coffee though, those can get expensive.

I bought one for my wife because she prefers decaf which I almost never make. I though I'd never use it, but it has proved to be quite useful when you're short on time (which happens often) or company comes by.

If you do decide to get one, Amazon generally has great deals on the k-cups

I've only had K-cup coffee once or twice, but I was surprised by how good the brew was. It's not compelling enough coffee to make me give up my Bodum though.

Just gotta throw in here. The Keurig is a very handy machine. Some K-Cups are bad, some good, some great... I prefer Nantucket or Donut House. SWMBO likes Butter Toffee. The kid wants Mountain Blueberry or Chai Latte.
...And therein lies the great advantage of a Keurig, everyone gets what they want... and quickly.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
We use ours when we are pinched for time.... it makes a nice cup of coffee IMO... otherwise we crank up the Restaurant style Bunn and have an 8 to 10 cup pot...

The wife and I love ours. Donut House is really good, Caribou is pretty good, (both available at our local Costco in 80-count cases) as are many others, plus the teas and such.

But I agree...if you drink coffee all day (guilty!) you can go through a bunch of those cups quickly.

Geeno

SWMBO and I use it daily. I usually have 3-4 cups and she usually 2 cups daily. It is very convenient. We don't have to make 2 -3 pots of coffee a day to have fresh coffee. It is actually less expensive to use then the regular coffee maker we had. I drink Newsman's own, Dark Magic and Caribou, SWMBO drinks Kona, Donut House and sometimes flavored. It's also great for making tea with the extra filters.

+100 on Dark Magic.

What I really enjoy about the system is that it makes a great single cup of coffee. SWMBO doesn't drink coffee (but enjoys the hot chocolate k-cups) so I was usually left trying to make a good cup of coffee with a 4-cup coffee maker with not so great results. Also great for company - my parents like a mild blend when they stop by, my in laws like it super dark - everyone gets exactly what they want. Because it is quick and easy I spend much less at the coffee shop and I don't have to wait in line when I am in a rush to get to work (because I spent 45 minutes on my shave).

I've only had one or two cups from a Keurig, and I can say that I am not a fan. I don't have anything fancy, just a cheap drip coffee maker but I do not like the Keurig stuff. I like darker roast coffees and I had one dark roast K-cup and one breakfast or morning blend, whichever they call it. Both were the green mountain coffee co. K-cups. I did not like either, and would not purchase this for my home. The brewer itself is quite pricey and the K-cups to go with it are also relatively expensive. I would probably use it if it were available at work though.

Top Bottom