What's new

Your guess on this razor

proxy.php

You've cleaned it!!!! :a36:
He's gotta see how shiny he can make it. It will always re-tarnish. I cleaned up a silver '22 New Improved Tuckaway last year, and it's already developing a new patina - MY patina!

If he decides it looks better with some patina, all he'll have to do is leave it in the bathroom, where it will be exposed to the occasional batch of sulfur fumes! :001_07:

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Beautiful.
For the case, this is what I would do, but please do it on your own responsibility as I can't judge from pictures how aged the materials of your case are.

Try to remove tape from the box. If it doesn't want to let go, heat it gently with a hair dryer to peel it up a bit and apply some pure alcohol or acetone with a brush between the case and tape (just "paint" it on, don't soak the leather). Repeat until the tape is removed.
Get some shoe cleaning wipes, baby wipes or any leather cleaning product you prefer, clean the case, take extreme care around the lettering on the bottom. If there is any loose leather glue it back with some wood glue.
Polish up the lock with some metal polish you like.

Post securing the handle:
It is a sueded covered block of wood, glued down with glue.
Move the post from side to side to see how the glue held up.
Rip it from the bottom with one quick move.
Remove dirt with a dry toothbrush (soft bristles), don't use any cleaning product or water.
Scrape off old glue from the back of the post.

Square securing the comb:
The same procedure as above.

Sides and top:
These are silk covered cardboard.
Try to force a thin blade between the carboard and case, if it comes loose, contine till you removed all cardboard covering.
Remove dirt with a dry toothbrush, be as gentle as possible.
Don't use any water or cleaning product.
Remove bigger chunks of old glue from the box and cardboard.

Apply thin amounts of woodglue to threadbare areas to prevent further damage. Trim them, if necessary.

Assembly:
Using woodglue glue back cardboard pieces, first upper and lower sides then the upper cover.
Use clamps to secure the cardboard till the glue dries.

Glue down the square using some woodglue, lastly glue back the post.

For a less time and nerve consuming cleaning take a soft toothbrush and brush out the case till it's as clean as new. Glue back loose material with small dabs of woodglue.

Yours

Adam

Beautiful.
For the case, this is what I would do, but please do it on your own responsibility as I can't judge from pictures how aged the materials of your case are.

Try to remove tape from the box. If it doesn't want to let go, heat it gently with a hair dryer to peel it up a bit and apply some pure alcohol or acetone with a brush between the case and tape (just "paint" it on, don't soak the leather). Repeat until the tape is removed.
Get some shoe cleaning wipes, baby wipes or any leather cleaning product you prefer, clean the case, take extreme care around the lettering on the bottom. If there is any loose leather glue it back with some wood glue.
Polish up the lock with some metal polish you like.

Post securing the handle:
It is a sueded covered block of wood, glued down with glue.
Move the post from side to side to see how the glue held up.
Rip it from the bottom with one quick move.
Remove dirt with a dry toothbrush (soft bristles), don't use any cleaning product or water.
Scrape off old glue from the back of the post.

Square securing the comb:
The same procedure as above.

Sides and top:
These are silk covered cardboard.
Try to force a thin blade between the carboard and case, if it comes loose, contine till you removed all cardboard covering.
Remove dirt with a dry toothbrush, be as gentle as possible.
Don't use any water or cleaning product.
Remove bigger chunks of old glue from the box and cardboard.

Apply thin amounts of woodglue to threadbare areas to prevent further damage. Trim them, if necessary.

Assembly:
Using woodglue glue back cardboard pieces, first upper and lower sides then the upper cover.
Use clamps to secure the cardboard till the glue dries.

Glue down the square using some woodglue, lastly glue back the post.

For a less time and nerve consuming cleaning take a soft toothbrush and brush out the case till it's as clean as new. Glue back loose material with small dabs of woodglue.

Yours

Adam
Thank you for the information! I am going to take awhile to do this because I have to be gentle. Some parts are pretty dry. I will post pics when finished!

Top Bottom