• Mamabears

• QED

• Col. Conk

• Pirate's Cove

• Ogallala

• Em's Place

• Other-please disclose in response

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is there a rational answer as to why VDH isn't on the poll? Col. Conk doesn't count. Also missing is St. Charles, another outstanding underdog. I love the Ogallala's that I've tried (the smell is great) but the lather isn't that great. Therefore, the humble 1.50 a puck VDH Glycerine is my go to. The only reason I can think of as to why its been slighted is because of its price.
You've tried Mama Bear, QED, HBS, Col Conk, and VDH, and out of those, VDH is your favorite? I don't think anyone is arguing that it's a good soap, especially for the price, but I guess the OP didn't figure it would be anyone's _favorite_, though.

I too have had great luck with SCS shave soap, but I'm not sure it's in the exact same category? It's a bit softer, and Sue said it is glycerin based but there are a lot of other ingredients and she recommended that I don't melt it, but if I did, to stir stir stir because it would most likely separate. I didn't try melting it, because she also said it would void the guarantee, but I've melted all my other glycerin based soaps with no separation or problems whatsoever. These characteristics led me to believe it is somewhat different than the soaps we blanketly call "glycerin based," many of which are listed here.

You've tried Mama Bear, QED, HBS, Col Conk, and VDH, and out of those, VDH is your favorite?

Yes! Aside from Mama Bear. I'm sure it's a great soap, but I seem to have dermal reactions to most "artisan" soaps I've tried so I stay away from them now, now matter how awesome everyone says they are. :smile:

I'm really enamored with the Grey Flannel scent of the VDH. I like a lightly scented soap, and the VDH is definitely unobtrusive. The lather and shave it gives me is unparalleled. The price and easy availability help make it my favorite.

Yes! Aside from Mama Bear. I'm sure it's a great soap, but I seem to have dermal reactions to most "artisan" soaps I've tried so I stay away from them now, now matter how awesome everyone says they are. :smile:

I'm really enamored with the Grey Flannel scent of the VDH. I like a lightly scented soap, and the VDH is definitely unobtrusive. The lather and shave it gives me is unparalleled. The price and easy availability help make it my favorite.
Fair enough :cool: I have had a slight reaction to some HBS soaps, but none of mama bears so far. That's part of the reason I give her the edge. You might want to give a few of hers a shot, just for the heck of it. Worst case scenario, you don't like them and throw them up on the BST and watch them disappear in minutes, lol.

I haven't voted because, at this time, I have only tried Col. Conk.

But I want to thank you for setting up this poll.

My favorite local store where I buy most of my shaving soaps and creams wants to expand the lines they carry. This will help me make recommendations to them.

I've got way too many soaps and creams at the moment (and not enough storage space), so it may be a while before I get to try Mama Bear, Honey Bea, SCS, and some of the others.

Em's Place soaps never seem to get the play here that the others do, but I've found them to be top notch. Perhaps it is simply that Em doesn't post. Out of sight, out of mind.?

Col. Conk works great for me. It seems to have a lot of detractors but I think that might be because it's inexpensive. It does leave my face feeling somewhat tight but since I have oily skin I like that. It lathers immediately, thickly, offers great glide and protection, and I love the scent, which fades, as it should, when I wash it off.

A lot of people say lathering with Col Conk is hard but I've been using a puck of Amber grated into a mug for over a week now and I haven't had any difficulties. It isn't "oh my God this is the best soap I've ever used," but it isn't terrible either. YMMV.

A lot of people say lathering with Col Conk is hard but I've been using a puck of Amber grated into a mug for over a week now and I haven't had any difficulties. It isn't "oh my God this is the best soap I've ever used," but it isn't terrible either. YMMV.

This has been my experience with Col. Conk bay rum. Not great, but not bad. Just a good, solid soap.

I'm surprised not to see Ginger's Garden mentioned yet. I was PIFed a tub of Coco Cooler and find it to be a very nice soap.

Top Bottom