What's new

Your Favorite Gillette Tech?

I expect that there are quite a few versions of this razor among the favorites of the members of this forum. I have only one of these, and it is a C4 1957 ball end in chrome. The very year and quarter of my birth.

A very nice razor; particularly when I feel the need to do a "touchup" shave after only about 12 hours, or so, since I last applied lather and steel to my face. In my experience, one would almost have to go out of the way to cut him/herself with a Tech - it is that forgiving!

Fortunately, my wife has "requisitioned" this razor as her own. I say fortunately because it would give me the excuse to buy at least another Tech, but first of all from the Third Quarter of 1955 (her birth year and quarter) so that she can use it on her legs instead of grabbing my '57 just when I need it.

As an aside, I am gradually converting my 60 year-old coworker to return to DE shaving after a 30+ year hiatus. He tried my 1974 Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" TTO, but like me, found the head to be a bit clunky.

I, my wife and my coworker all have small hands. So, what version of the Tech could you recommend? One with a fat handle?

Your replies will greatly influence my not too far in the future post in the WTB thread over at the Marketplace (Hint!)

Your answers will greatly influence my future WTB post. Not looking for anything particularly fancy or collectible. Just a nice shaver, like my '57.

Regards,

David

Last edited:
I like the heavy ball ends, and the fat handles as shavers.

My favorite tech I own? Toss up between the WWII contract with the plastic handle and the ball end.

I got a package deal on an undated replated Tech that came with a replated fat handle as well as a custom handle. I can tell you this much: The original handle just doesn't have any weight to it. If your ball end handle is a solid piece, you will definitely notice a difference. This, of course, could lead you to buying a custom, heavier handle for it though...:w00t:

Of course, as always, YMMV. I started out with a Merkur barberpole, so I'm partial to heftier razors in general.

Top Bottom