What's new

What's Your Grind Distribution? And Why?

Over the last year and a bit that I have been straight shaving, I have developed a very clear preference for a particular grind. And that preference is reflected in the straights that I have accumulated.

I have only a small number, but it still tells a story:
  • Hollows: 3 - 22%
  • Half hollow: 8 - 57%
  • Quarter hollow: 2 - 14%
  • Wedge: 1 - 7%
I struggled early with coarse growth around my lower cheeks and chin, and found heavier grinds moved through it with less effort, As my technique improved, I really appreciated the balance between more heft behind the edge, but still some flex and audible feedback, hence landing on half hollows.

What about you? Some of you have pretty significant collections: how are your grinds distributed, and was it by accident or intent that they ended up that way?

Most of my razors are extra hollow, few full hollow and only 3 quarter hollow.

In my early days I thought extra hollow are the best and I disliked the only quarter hollow I had at that time, so I lost my interest in grinds closer to a wedge.

I cannot remember why but I bought two more quarter hollow and ever since I prefer them more. I actually enjoy a silent blade and the extra heft feels great.

Or so I believe, until I put my hand back on an extra hollow and then I fall in love with them again.

I don’t know, it feels weird but also nice in the same time, I rediscover these things over and over again.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Of my 38 SRs, I only have one that is ¼ hollow. I love shaving with it but it is a 4/8 blade and that is probably the reason. As for all my other 37 SRs, they are about eventually split between ½ hollow and full hollow from 5/8 to 8/8.

Nearly all my blades are full hollow or bellied hollow. I even have a Boker Extra Hollow that is super thin. I Have a couple of half hollow blades that I rarely use. They were vintage blades. I have only one quarter hollow blade. Although it gives a decent shave, it is far from being a favorite.

Most of my razors are some variety of full hollow. And I like them. I have a couple quarter hollow and one that's a little more wedgy than that and I like them well enough but they don't always wow me. I have I think 3 half(ish) hollows, two are closer to full and these I like a *lot*. The other is closer to quarter but not quite, and I like that one alright too. I also have a few framebacks and I like these an awful lot too. And one true rattler and a couple Swedes that are ratller-like.

If I had to pick a favorite grind it would be a half-ish hollow that is ground pretty thin towards the edge. Framebacks would probably be right behind that in terms of my ideal preference. But the truth is I like them all and not all for the same reasons.

Legion

Staff member
I'm not going to try and count them, but I'd estimate that it would be something like 50% hollow, 40% 1/4, and 10% wedges.

And that ratio would probably be because hollow is what I tend to find in the wild most often, and 1/4 is most common on the antique blades I tend to look for on ebay.

With my collection/ rotation it would be painful to try and calculate. And basically a waste of time. But I can tell you this if you really want to know my favorite grind.
It’s fullquarterhalfthreequartenearwedgewedgeframeback.
It’s quite a razor. Odd looking but sweet.
I’m an equal opportunity employer.

Last edited:
No single grind makes up a majority of my collection, but the largest minority are framebacks, mostly because they tend to be comparatively inexpensive and I think they're inherently cool. After that it's hard to say without counting them, but probably heavier half to three quarter hollows, then full hollows, then rattlers, then extra hollows and wedges. In terms of preference when shaving, I have little, other than that I don't tend to like wedges, all else being equal.

I have a mixture of both, but If I had to choose I would go with the heavier grinds half and quarter-hollow blades, the major drawback with full hollows for me I have never liked the audio feedback of a full hollow, much prefer a silent whisker assassin of the quarter hollow blade, two of my favourite Japanese blades very smooth and silent King Pelican 14 and the Hoshi Tonbo 6500 both have fairly heavy grinds.

60wP6fP.jpg

ousaMzv.jpg

Last edited:
I have near wedges to extra hollow. Don’t know the ratio but it really doesn’t matter. The edge is what matters, they all shave great with the proper honing.

As to why? Shoot, I don’t know
Great answer. Best yet. You can make them all work and love em’ for their peculiarities. As to why and you don’t know is on point! Perfect . Much respect. .Kudos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wid
I've got a random mix of grinds across my razors, from 1/4 hollow to bellied full hollow. Most of these are from ebay purchased in my first 6 months of SR shaving, and I never paid much (any?) attention to the grind, I was looking for decent condition with no rust.

I find that 1/4 hollow effortlessly wipes away whiskers but can be harsh and leave irritation. Full hollow gives a more comfortable shave but takes a bit more effort to get there. My next blade purchase will be 6/7-7/8 full hollow, so my collection is trending that way.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Over the last year and a bit that I have been straight shaving, I have developed a very clear preference for a particular grind. And that preference is reflected in the straights that I have accumulated.

I have only a small number, but it still tells a story:
  • Hollows: 3 - 22%
  • Half hollow: 8 - 57%
  • Quarter hollow: 2 - 14%
  • Wedge: 1 - 7%
I struggled early with coarse growth around my lower cheeks and chin, and found heavier grinds moved through it with less effort, As my technique improved, I really appreciated the balance between more heft behind the edge, but still some flex and audible feedback, hence landing on half hollows.

What about you? Some of you have pretty significant collections: how are your grinds distributed, and was it by accident or intent that they ended up that way?
My favorite grind is extra hollow in a 4/8 or 9/16. I guess a lot of it has to do with the weight of the razor and the quickness of the shave. You can really move those small blades around easily.

Not sure about the exact numbers. I started out buying full hollows and then bought a lot of near wedges/quarter hollows. Would like to get a couple more half hollows but don’t seem to find many.

Top Bottom