What's new

Your favorite blade with EJ DE89

I know everyone is different, but I was wondering what people have settled on using with their EJ DE89 razor. If you could mention your beard type that might be helpful. If this has been posted somewhere (sounds like a good poll), please point me there since I didn't see it in my search. Mine will be here next week :001_smile

Thanks,
Maverick

EDIT: Didn't catch the blade part about the title. The regular USA Personna (the drugstore variety) work great on my EJ. I did try Feather, Green 7o clocks, and Red IP.

I sold off a Merkur 38C and a slant once I tried my EJ for a few days. I don't have a dense beard, but the individual hairs themselves are thick and jet black. My skin is average I guess. WTG I can hack away all day, I could from the beginning. XTG is comfortable if I pay a little attention. Still working on ATG...some days are better than others. I love the EJ because for me it gives me DE results with close to cartridge comfort. It is a forgiving razor perfectly capable of BBS. YMMV.

Last edited:
I didn't even realize there were USA Personnas. Are they very different from the Israeli ones?

I have fast growing thick beard - like noon shadow. I use feathers - 4 passes for dfs. More than that gets rough on my skin. I have no idea skin type.

I didn't even realize there were USA Personnas. Are they very different from the Israeli ones?
Well, the package I have says they are from The American Safety Razor Company. If you go to their site "http://www.asrco.com/" you'll see it is Personna. The blades are just stamped "Made in USA" and I get them under the generic Base Exchange brand on base. I really can't tell much of a difference between blades honestly. I like the USA Personnas cause for me they work great, are locally available.... and they are 10 blades for $1.50 final price!

Last edited:
i really don't think there is an interaction with razor. you may have simply asked for the best blade. that said, DE89 users have excellent shaving sensibilities, so the answer you get here will be better than throwing the same question out to everyone.

personna lab blue and feather for me, as many others have pretty much said.

v.

i really don't think there is an interaction with razor. you may have simply asked for the best blade.
v.

I seem to have noticed replies with saying like "put this blade in that razor and you will love it" throughout the forum. I guess it could just be a general love for the blade, but I always took it as a good balance of the design of the razor and sharpness of the blade. But I could be wrong :)

Thanks for the input everyone... Also, i understand wal-mart carries the USA personna (and maybe some other local drug stores). I might have to try them out when everything comes and I have a little time with a DE under my belt.

I have a fairly thick steel wire like beard and while I don't always shave with a de when I do I prefer my EJ89 and Treet classics. Now that I have said that i will comment that I have tried it with derbys, 4 different gillettes, astra, wilkinson, bluebird, feather, and all of the treets. The classic literally makes no sound what so ever and has no feeling in it. Like it feels like you are just taking off shaving cream with a butter knife. It is an amazing little blade that doesn't get a lot of mention.

Top Bottom