What's new

Your best vegetarian recipes?

Over the years I have been an on again off again vegetarian. I always felt much better on a vegetarian diet, but alas the meat eaters among us draw me in on occasion.

What is your favourite vegetarian or vegan recipe?

Aloo Mutter. Chick Peas in a curry sauce but I add potatoes and peas. I serve it over rice.
Any Chinese dish with tofu substituted for meat.

Aloo Mutter. Chick Peas in a curry sauce but I add potatoes and peas. I serve it over rice.
Any Chinese dish with tofu substituted for meat.
Sounds good. Many of my favourite veggie dishes are soups...lentil/rice, curry/ginger/sweet potato, pasta e fagioli, the list goes on...October makes me think of soups...

For a few decades have been making myself a vegetable stir fry three night per week, usually over white basmati rice but on occasion will combine quinoa and millet with the basmati, sometimes i'll do a brown rice or even over pasta. If there's a leftover protein in the fridge i'll use it here throwing it in after the cooking done to just warm it up. Sometimes i'll prep block of tofu to add at the end of the cook.

A typical stir fry, however much you're prepared to eat;

#1 pile - cauliflower chunks, diced onion of some sort, dice/mince/fine strips of fresh ginger
#2 - usually shredded cabbage, maybe bok choy stems
#3 - usually pieces of broccoli &/or snap peas or snow peas plus mushroom pieces/quarters (how big are your mushrooms, red pepper pieces

Sauce - mix, minced garlic, ~1T light soy sauce, ~2t oyster sauce, ~2t Srirachi or Sambal Olek something spicy
/////// - frozen chicken stock cup plus enough water to total 3 fl oz (i don't really measure any of these stuff)
Thickener ~1/2t cornstarch dissolved in 1T water

Wok on max until it's smoking add sunflower oil maybe 1T, when it's smoking add pile #1, fry a bit, then pile #2 added fry a bit more, pile #3 into the wok & fry briefly. I like the vegetables crunchy and usually only cooking for one person so this is only a couple minutes total.

Stir up sauce pour into a wok, stir until boiling, stir up thickener pour in, i'll usually turn off the burner (electric) now and stir until thickened, may pull it totally off the heat as it gets thicker, now's the time throw in any protein additions to warm.

To cook the rice and grains i use a vegetable steamer, rice cooker. For all the grains i never rinse and use equal volumes of grain & water. The brown rice gets cooked 45-50 minutes, the others would get 30 minutes.

Tofu #1 - block cut up into 1cm cubes

Pool of oil into smoking, maxed wok, more oil equals better control of browning & less browning. Less oil, better browning/crisping of the tofu, have to work fast, more pressure on the cook. My wok will take half the cubes in a single layer so that's all that goes in, i'll turn the pieces individually to make sure i brown all sides. When browned to taste remove with a slotted spoon and in with the second batch. When browned removed with a slotted spoon.

If there's any oil left in the wok drain it and wipe out the wok with paper towelling then it goes back onto the max heat, all the tofu into the wok. 'To taste' you add some soy sauce and sambal olek and keep stirring and tasting adding more flavourings until the magic spot is hit, should be no liquid in the wok, you're done, pour the tofu into a bowl, wipe out the wok again and start cooking the vegetables.

Tofu#2, there's a recipe!

BLock of tofu (12-16oz) cut into 1" cubes

Mix together in a bowl,
1/4c soy sauce
3T Sambal Olek
1T honey or maple syrup or agave syrup or...

Add the tofu cubes to the bowl, coat them and marinate for at least 20 minutes, when time comes to cook remove the cubes from the marinate saving the marinate.

Heat the wok med-high, add oil and heat 'til a'shimmering, add cubes and fry on all sides until golden, remove the cubes from the wok and they go back into the saved marinate to be re-coated. Ready to be used as you see fit.

You can dress your bowl with bean sprouts, chopped herbs like cilantro, Thai basil or parsley if you have them kicking around. Chopped roasted peanuts, sesame seeds. Endless variety of vegetables to be slotted, limitless possibilities. Different things to try with the sauce...

This one was done on the bbq so a bit a different process and had some leftover chicken so ignore that. Saucing was done in regular wok back in the kitchen.

file2-8.jpeg
file4-2.jpeg
file1-10.jpeg

Tofu #2

file3.jpeg

dave

Teriyaki tofu.
Firm or extra-firm tofu, slices no thicker than 1/2 inch
Marinate for a couple of hours (or more) in a mix of soy sauce, mirin, a few drops of sesame oil and a teaspoon of honey; make sure the slices are well covered, or turn over every 20-30 minutes.
Take tofu out of the marinade; put the marinade on low heat to reduce until syrup consistency.
Pat the tofu slices dry, brown quickly on both sides on a very hot cast iron griddle or pan with a light coating of oil; may add a few drops of sesame oil to the pan for extra flavor.
Serve with the reduced teriyaki marinade.

Forgot to add garlic to the teriyaki marinade recipe above, a few cloves well smashed.
I do mushrooms the same way, sliced in half lengthwise. Button mushrooms work but it's even better with oyster mushrooms.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Back in my batchelor days, I ate a lot of pasta. I made sauce as follows:

1. cube "enough" eggplant, and fry in olive oil.
  2. dice onion and garlic, and also fry in olive oil.
  3. when all above is sufficiently fried, add a scoop of tomato mix. (One large can diced tomatoes, one small can sliced mushrooms, one small can olives ... sliced black probably, but if you can find whole green anchovie-stuffed, so much the better)
  4. add oregano, basil, &c "to taste"
  5. if permitted by your diet, add a scoop of sour cream
  6. mix in with freshly cooked pasta, and serve; top with parmesan and chopped parsley.
IF you are not insisting on vegetarian ... I would always start by slicing a frozen sausage or two, and frying them up ... frozen work better for slicing, and you get nice, clean cuts that char up nicely and really add to the flavour.

Fresh tomatoes and mushrooms can be substituted, of course. I was keen on convenience and low cost, so tinned worked well enough for me.

Rotini pasta and fresh veggies. (Can't find her recipe now so you can hunt for it on Barilla's pasta site).

The wife got this recipe off of a Barilla rotini pasta box. We have adjusted it over the years for low carb, vegetarian, or side dish. Currently I omit the pasta and toss a shredded marinated chicken in with a dusting of parmesan cheese.

For a few decades have been making myself a vegetable stir fry three night per week, usually over white basmati rice but on occasion will combine quinoa and millet with the basmati, sometimes i'll do a brown rice or even over pasta. If there's a leftover protein in the fridge i'll use it here throwing it in after the cooking done to just warm it up. Sometimes i'll prep block of tofu to add at the end of the cook.

A typical stir fry, however much you're prepared to eat;

#1 pile - cauliflower chunks, diced onion of some sort, dice/mince/fine strips of fresh ginger
#2 - usually shredded cabbage, maybe bok choy stems
#3 - usually pieces of broccoli &/or snap peas or snow peas plus mushroom pieces/quarters (how big are your mushrooms, red pepper pieces

Sauce - mix, minced garlic, ~1T light soy sauce, ~2t oyster sauce, ~2t Srirachi or Sambal Olek something spicy
/////// - frozen chicken stock cup plus enough water to total 3 fl oz (i don't really measure any of these stuff)
Thickener ~1/2t cornstarch dissolved in 1T water

Wok on max until it's smoking add sunflower oil maybe 1T, when it's smoking add pile #1, fry a bit, then pile #2 added fry a bit more, pile #3 into the wok & fry briefly. I like the vegetables crunchy and usually only cooking for one person so this is only a couple minutes total.

Stir up sauce pour into a wok, stir until boiling, stir up thickener pour in, i'll usually turn off the burner (electric) now and stir until thickened, may pull it totally off the heat as it gets thicker, now's the time throw in any protein additions to warm.

To cook the rice and grains i use a vegetable steamer, rice cooker. For all the grains i never rinse and use equal volumes of grain & water. The brown rice gets cooked 45-50 minutes, the others would get 30 minutes.

Tofu #1 - block cut up into 1cm cubes

Pool of oil into smoking, maxed wok, more oil equals better control of browning & less browning. Less oil, better browning/crisping of the tofu, have to work fast, more pressure on the cook. My wok will take half the cubes in a single layer so that's all that goes in, i'll turn the pieces individually to make sure i brown all sides. When browned to taste remove with a slotted spoon and in with the second batch. When browned removed with a slotted spoon.

If there's any oil left in the wok drain it and wipe out the wok with paper towelling then it goes back onto the max heat, all the tofu into the wok. 'To taste' you add some soy sauce and sambal olek and keep stirring and tasting adding more flavourings until the magic spot is hit, should be no liquid in the wok, you're done, pour the tofu into a bowl, wipe out the wok again and start cooking the vegetables.

Tofu#2, there's a recipe!

BLock of tofu (12-16oz) cut into 1" cubes

Mix together in a bowl,
1/4c soy sauce
3T Sambal Olek
1T honey or maple syrup or agave syrup or...

Add the tofu cubes to the bowl, coat them and marinate for at least 20 minutes, when time comes to cook remove the cubes from the marinate saving the marinate.

Heat the wok med-high, add oil and heat 'til a'shimmering, add cubes and fry on all sides until golden, remove the cubes from the wok and they go back into the saved marinate to be re-coated. Ready to be used as you see fit.

You can dress your bowl with bean sprouts, chopped herbs like cilantro, Thai basil or parsley if you have them kicking around. Chopped roasted peanuts, sesame seeds. Endless variety of vegetables to be slotted, limitless possibilities. Different things to try with the sauce...

This one was done on the bbq so a bit a different process and had some leftover chicken so ignore that. Saucing was done in regular wok back in the kitchen.

View attachment 916802 View attachment 916803 View attachment 916806

Tofu #2

View attachment 916808
dave

That stuff looks amazing!

Currently, I love just plain daal. Especially with jeera rice

Top Bottom