What's new

Your 3 Favorite Omega Boars | & Mine

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What are your three favorite Omega boars? What makes them your favorites?

These are mine.

Jade.ProrasoPro.MightyMidget.3-20.640.JPG

That's ^ the Jade handled Premium Boar by Omega & the Proraso Pro (by Omega) & the Might Midget, Omega 40033.

Connaught.Jade.Omega.Boar.640.3-20.JPG

The Jade is the boar I regard as the best boar on the market. It has a well made and great looking, turned, solid resin handle which nicely fits my hand. The knot was initially quite stiff, but it was useable from the beginning. It's broken in nicely and become a brush which has great backbone and scrub but is also soft. The brush is not too large overall, but the knot is pretty big.

The current version of the Jade (the version sold by Connaught) lacks the emblem; I've seen it available somewhere else with the emblem, but don't recall where.

Jade.ProrasoPro.3-20.640.JPG

Here you can see how much larger the Proraso Pro is. The ProPro has enormous backbone. Initially a bit overwhelming, it took awhile to break in. Broken it, it's soft but still has loads of backbone and scrub. Not too much backbone for me as a face latherer. The ProPro handle is cheap plastic but still not a bad handle. I've read the loft of this brush varies.

If buying the ProPro shop around for price. It's sold at widely varying prices by different vendors, including on eBay.

ProrasoPro.MightyMidget.640.3-20.JPG

You can see the size difference between the Proraso Pro and the Mighty Midget. Their knots feel very similar. The Mighty Midget as pictured has three #13 O Rings added (by me) which helps the grip of it and looks way cool.

What are the measured sizes of these three brushes (by my calipers).
  • Omega 011829 Jade Handle Connaught Premium Boar: Knot 27mm. Loft 49mm.
  • Proraso boar: 27mm knot. 55 mm loft.
  • Omega Mighty Midget: 24mm knot. 47 mm loft.
I have other boars - the SOC, a bunch of Zeniths, a couple of unbanded Mondials - I like a whole lot, but these are really nice Omega boar brushes. These Omegas cover a significant price range from very low to pretty high, and also are of varying sizes. However, all are brushes I have no reservations about recommending to you. I use them all and like them all.

What are your favorite three Omega boars?

Happy shaves,

Jim

These are mine.

View attachment 1075947

That's ^ the Jade handled Premium Boar by Omega & the Proraso Pro (by Omega) & the Might Midget, Omega 40033.

View attachment 1075950

The Jade is the boar I regard as the best boar on the market. It has a well made and great looking, turned, solid resin handle which nicely fits my hand. The knot was initially quite stiff, but it was useable from the beginning. It's broken in nicely and become a brush which has great backbone and scrub but is also soft. The brush is not too large overall, but the knot is pretty big.

The current version of the Jade (the version sold by Connaught) lacks the emblem; I've seen it available somewhere else with the emblem, but don't recall where.

View attachment 1075951

Here you can see how much larger the Proraso Pro is. The ProPro has enormous backbone. Initially a bit overwhelming, it took awhile to break in. Broken it, it's soft but still has loads of backbone and scrub. Not too much backbone for me as a face latherer. The ProPro handle is cheap plastic but still not a bad handle. I've read the loft of this brush varies.

If buying the ProPro shop around for price. It's sold at widely varying prices by different vendors, including on eBay.

View attachment 1075952

You can see the size difference between the Proraso Pro and the Mighty Midget. Their knots feel very similar. The Mighty Midget as pictured has three #13 O Rings added (by me) which helps the grip of it and looks way cool.

I have other boars - the SOC, a bunch of Zeniths, a couple of unbanded Mondials - I like a whole lot, but these are really nice Omega boar brushes. These Omegas cover a significant price range from very low to pretty high, and also are of varying sizes. However, all are brushes I have no reservations about recommending to you. I use them all and like them all.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I own the Omega Pro and want to get the Jade Professional.
It has mewantium.

These are mine.

View attachment 1075947

View attachment 1075950

View attachment 1075951

View attachment 1075952

Happy shaves,

Jim

I own the Omega Pro and want to get the Jade Professional.
It has mewantium.

I own the Proraso Pro (by Omega) and that’s the only boar brush I own. I use it sparingly, but every time I do, I really appreciate the level of face feel it provides. I just wish it would lather up as good as my synthetic knots do.

Like you, I love my Connaught Omega with the faux jade handle. It's my favorite boar and quite possibly my favorite brush of all. I also have the Pro 49 as well as the 10066. I no longer use the 10066 because I am limiting myself to 3 of each (boar, badger and synthetic) in my rotation. My boar rotation is now the Connaught, Pro 49 and a Alpha 400 tribute handle with a tall boar knot in it. Don't know where the knot came from as it came with the handle. But I really love my boar brushes. Omegas are awesome given how inexpensive they are.

Like you, I love my Connaught Omega with the faux jade handle. It's my favorite boar and quite possibly my favorite brush of all. I also have the Pro 49 as well as the 10066. I no longer use the 10066 because I am limiting myself to 3 of each (boar, badger and synthetic) in my rotation. My boar rotation is now the Connaught, Pro 49 and a Alpha 400 tribute handle with a tall boar knot in it. Don't know where the knot came from as it came with the handle. But I really love my boar brushes. Omegas are awesome given how inexpensive they are.

I sometimes wonder why I would buy a synthetic brush when a quality boar brush is so reasonably priced and they lather so well.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

These are mine.

View attachment 1075947

View attachment 1075950

View attachment 1075951

View attachment 1075952

Happy shaves,

Jim

Seems that we like similar Boar brushes. :)

20200319_154405~2.jpg

Love the Jade. :)

I have four Omega boars in my current eleven-brush rotation. My four Omega brushes in order of preference are the 011842, 10049, B&B Essential (10th Anniversary Edition), and 13564.

The rest of the brushes include four Semogues, two Zeniths, and a Modial. I had hoped to finish out the year with this lineup, but sadly the 13564 is just too small for me. I can't see spending the rest of the year with it when I have a new Goodfellas' Smile Wild Hog (by Omega) waiting patiently in a box.

20200320_104740.jpg20200320_105316.jpg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have Omegas other than the ones I mentioned here, but these three are the ones I like best of my Omegas.

Jade.UsedOnce.Damp.4-18.640.JPG

Here's my Jade, damp after its very first use.

I wish everybody would always include photos. They add so much to the picture.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom