What's new

Your 3 Favorite Omega Boars | & Mine

@Chan Eil Whiskers I have been eying ProPro but I am not sure about loft feel. I am OK with knot but very high lofts don't feel right to me. I benched my jade, on the other hand, because I don't like lather slipping down to handle due to rather short loft.
Is the ProPro almost equal height as Zenith B28 copper? That knot is my ideal.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers I have been eying ProPro but I am not sure about loft feel. I am OK with knot but very high lofts don't feel right to me. I benched my jade, on the other hand, because I don't like lather slipping down to handle due to rather short loft.
Is the ProPro almost equal height as Zenith B28 copper? That knot is my ideal.

My ProPro has a knot a little bit lower than the B28's published loft of 57 mm, but keep reading. I know the ProPro lofts as measured by folks around this place vary some.

I have boar brushes with lofts higher than 57 mm, but, generally speaking 57 mm is the max I tend to like in my boars with only a few exceptions.

The Proraso Pro (again, mine) is significantly more stiff than my B28. That said, it was useable from the beginning, and it has improved in softness as it's broken in. Mine took forever to break in and I wonder if it's fully broken in now, but it's a very good brush in its performance qualities.

To me, the difference in the lofts of the B28 and the ProPro are insignificant. I like both brushes a lot.

To be accurate and transparent my B28 does not have the loft which is published. As I measure with my calipers here's what I get for my two brushes.
  • Zenith Copper Handled Pro Big Boar Shave Brush: Knot 27mm. Loft 53 mm.
  • Proraso boar: 27mm knot. 55 mm loft.
I don't know this for a fact but it may be the Omega knots are unbleached or less bleached than the Zenith bleached knots.

Zenith also makes unbleached knots (and I have one, but haven't used it yet); they're hard to find, just about impossible, except in a loft significantly higher than I'd prefer.

At any rate, I find Zenith knots (bleached boars) a good bit different from Omega knots. Both are great, but they're different.

Interesting that you don't much like the Jade. I have much smaller handled boars I like and am not troubled by lather on the handle, but to each his own.

3-19-20.BrandNew.ZenithSilvertip.640.JPG1-4-20.BokerTree-ExtaH.G.DB.Z-Horse.640JPG.JPG

That said, I think maybe the handle on these two Zeniths might be my favorite handle shape and size of those I've tried (I've not tried the new silvertip, but I've used the horse a good many times).

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What are your three favorite Omega boars? What makes them your favorites?

These are mine.

View attachment 1075947

That's ^ the Jade handled Premium Boar by Omega & the Proraso Pro (by Omega) & the Might Midget, Omega 40033.

View attachment 1075950

The Jade is the boar I regard as the best boar on the market. It has a well made and great looking, turned, solid resin handle which nicely fits my hand. The knot was initially quite stiff, but it was useable from the beginning. It's broken in nicely and become a brush which has great backbone and scrub but is also soft. The brush is not too large overall, but the knot is pretty big.

The current version of the Jade (the version sold by Connaught) lacks the emblem; I've seen it available somewhere else with the emblem, but don't recall where.

View attachment 1075951

Here you can see how much larger the Proraso Pro is. The ProPro has enormous backbone. Initially a bit overwhelming, it took awhile to break in. Broken it, it's soft but still has loads of backbone and scrub. Not too much backbone for me as a face latherer. The ProPro handle is cheap plastic but still not a bad handle. I've read the loft of this brush varies.

If buying the ProPro shop around for price. It's sold at widely varying prices by different vendors, including on eBay.

View attachment 1075952

You can see the size difference between the Proraso Pro and the Mighty Midget. Their knots feel very similar. The Mighty Midget as pictured has three #13 O Rings added (by me) which helps the grip of it and looks way cool.

What are the measured sizes of these three brushes (by my calipers).
  • Omega 011829 Jade Handle Connaught Premium Boar: Knot 27mm. Loft 49mm.
  • Omega Mighty Midget: 24mm knot. 47 mm loft.
I have other boars - the SOC, a bunch of Zeniths, a couple of unbanded Mondials - I like a whole lot, but these are really nice Omega boar brushes. These Omegas cover a significant price range from very low to pretty high, and also are of varying sizes. However, all are brushes I have no reservations about recommending to you. I use them all and like them all.

What are your favorite three Omega boars?

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have two Pro 48 and one 98. Each has the same knot. One 48 has been used for 11 years. I love thes brushes for all the reasons one could love a brush. I have one expensive and large badger that I never use. If you are need of a large silvertip Vulfix, just let me know.

Boars are so dead to me. My favorite boar is a boar that sits in its little boar box all by its sad and lonesome boar self and gets to think about his behavior. Bad boars, you can come out when you decide to cooperate.

• Zenith Copper Handled Pro Big Boar Shave Brush: Knot 27mm. Loft 53 mm.
First off, thank you very much for detailed response and the time you invested. Brevity is usually not my thing either but as old time Blackberry user I find it hard to keep up with my typing on glass slab.

I have to say; those two bullet points pretty much nailed it for me. As you know in search of few 'nice' boar brushes I bought the Jade and B28. I found the jade to be really nice but when used with high volume lather soaps like Tabac and MWF the leather has a tendency to slip in form of a 'ring' down toward the base of knot. Just feels bit odd to me, not that I mind some lather dripping as my lather is always on the wetter side but that behavior is what I don't like.

I had to bench the B28 because I found the weight to be bit overwhelming even though I liked the knot size/loft just 'right' for my face. I had another good Omega 20102 in Beachwood handle but at 62mm loft and super thick hair I gave up on it when it refused to give up its carjack equivalent backbone and not much splitting.

I am still on the lookout for a nice boar, 26 to 28 mm knot size, and 55-57 mm max loft and ‘premium’ handle that weighs less than 90 grams but not a fan of Semogues.

I have Omegas other than the ones I mentioned here, but these three are the ones I like best of my Omegas.

View attachment 1076438

Here's my Jade, damp after its very first use.

I wish everybody would always include photos. They add so much to the picture.

Happy shaves,

Jim
You mentioned in a previous thread that you have some Zenith brushes. There are Zenith brushes that share almost identical knot measurements as the Jade. What sets the Jade a cut above in your opinion?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You mentioned in a previous thread that you have some Zenith brushes. There are Zenith brushes that share almost identical knot measurements as the Jade. What sets the Jade a cut above in your opinion?

Good question. I'll give it a shot, but please understand a couple of things.
  • I like the Zeniths a lot. They're fine boars.
  • Much is subjective.
Let's talk about two brushes.

5-8-18.Kit.640.E-2.MdC.ChubbyScrubby..JPG4-7-19.Kit.Laundry.Jade.Kukri.640.JPG

• Zenith Chubby Scrubby: Knot 28mm. Loft 50mm.
  • Omega 011829 Jade Handle Connaught Premium Boar. Knot 27mm. Loft 49mm.
Very close in knot size...

Both have great handles. I like the Omega Jade's handle a bit more, but only a bit, in terms of how it feels in my hand. That's not saying it's better as this is entirely my impression and subjective. I also like the color better, but, again, that's subjective, and marginal as I like the appearance of the Zenith handle just fine.

The Zenith knot breaks in of course, but it's much more useable right out of the box than the Omega. The Omega is useable out of the box, but very stiff. It's slow to break in, but it breaks in to become what I think of as fabulous - very strong in the backbone, very scrubby (which is entirely good in my view of it), and also quite soft in the way some boars can become. None of that is to say or imply the Zenith is deficient in any regard.

The Zenith knot is clearly bleached by appearance, and the fact it's bleached is published. The Omega looks to me to be unbleached or at least a lot less bleached than the Zenith. That in itself may account (assuming it's correct) for some of the differences I notice in the knots.

Both load and lather well. Neither are deficient in any way.

1584819612546.png

Over time, the Jade has grown on me. The Zenith, although a very good brush has always seemed just a tad disappointing to me. Both are good stuff though.

Overall I like all my Zeniths so don't get the wrong idea. If I had only one boar - and it was any brush selected from at least 75% of the boars I use on occasion - I'd be a happy camper.

Not sure that helps at all, but it's all I know about that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
@Chan Eil Whiskers unless I got a real lemon, compare to other Omegas I have used, the jade knot is not very densely packed and perhaps the reason it gets going on lather making faster than any omega I have known. In spite of that I can't say I love this knot, it sure lack that 'fingertips full of lather' feel and scrub I am used to in other Omegas.

Good question. I'll give it a shot, but please understand a couple of things.
  • I like the Zeniths a lot. They're fine boars.
  • Much is subjective.
Let's talk about two brushes.

View attachment 1076915View attachment 1076922

• Zenith Chubby Scrubby: Knot 28mm. Loft 50mm.
  • Omega 011829 Jade Handle Connaught Premium Boar. Knot 27mm. Loft 49mm.
Very close in knot size...

Both have great handles. I like the Omega Jade's handle a bit more, but only a bit, in terms of how it feels in my hand. That's not saying it's better as this is entirely my impression and subjective. I also like the color better, but, again, that's subjective, and marginal as I like the appearance of the Zenith handle just fine.

The Zenith knot breaks in of course, but it's much more useable right out of the box than the Omega. The Omega is useable out of the box, but very stiff. It's slow to break in, but it breaks in to become what I think of as fabulous - very strong in the backbone, very scrubby (which is entirely good in my view of it), and also quite soft in the way some boars can become. None of that is to say or imply the Zenith is deficient in any regard.

The Zenith knot is clearly bleached by appearance, and the fact it's bleached is published. The Omega looks to me to be unbleached or at least a lot less bleached than the Zenith. That in itself may account (assuming it's correct) for some of the differences I notice in the knots.

Both load and lather well. Neither are deficient in any way.

View attachment 1076934

Over time, the Jade has grown on me. The Zenith, although a very good brush has always seemed just a tad disappointing to me. Both are good stuff though.

Overall I like all my Zeniths so don't get the wrong idea. If I had only one boar - and it was any brush selected from at least 75% of the boars I use on occasion - I'd be a happy camper.

Not sure that helps at all, but it's all I know about that.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It helps, thanks.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@Chan Eil Whiskers unless I got a real lemon, compare to other Omegas I have used, the jade knot is not very densely packed and perhaps the reason it gets going on lather making faster than any omega I have known. In spite of that I can't say I love this knot, it sure lack that 'fingertips full of lather' feel and scrub I am used to in other Omegas.

My experience with the Omega Jade is very different and closely aligns with what @Chan Eil Whiskers has expressed.

Definitely my favorite Boar. :)

YMMV

Which Omega has the least backbone & scrub? I’m looking to add one after reading this thread. I don’t mind taking the time to break it in, but I don’t care for brushes with strong backbone &/or scrub. I am intrigued by the softness many describe that a good boar brush develops. I’ve been reading all I can find on the different Omega offerings, but can’t determine if any of them would really be suitable. If all else fails, I’ll get a Pro 48.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Which Omega has the least backbone & scrub? I’m looking to add one after reading this thread. I don’t mind taking the time to break it in, but I don’t care for brushes with strong backbone &/or scrub. I am intrigued by the softness many describe that a good boar brush develops. I’ve been reading all I can find on the different Omega offerings, but can’t determine if any of them would really be suitable. If all else fails, I’ll get a Pro 48.

David,

I don't really understand what you're looking for exactly but in my view a boar needs decent scrub. A boar brush can be very soft but also have loads of scrub.

All the Omega boars I've used have had some backbone and scrub unless the loft was very tall.

ItalianFlag.Damp.640.3-18.jpg

I don't want to recommend the taller Omegas because I think they're floppy, but you might like them. I have two.
  • Omega 48: 28mm knot. 65mm loft.
  • Omega Italian Flag: 27mm knot. 65 mm loft.
I like using the Flag in spite of its floppy nature. I don't use the 48 enough to really remember what I like and don't like about it. I've read that the specs of the 48 vary.

What about a nice silvertip? Is it soft you're seeking or what exactly? I'm confused.

Happy shaves,

Jim

David,

I don't really understand what you're looking for exactly but in my view a boar needs decent scrub. A boar brush can be very soft but also have loads of scrub.
Jim,

Thank you for your reply. I’m not sure if what I want is available in a boar brush.

I prefer softer brushes, less scrub & back bone. My Paladins have about as much scrub as I care for. I also have an M & F in finest that is one of my favorite brushes. I also have several silver tips that are quite nice. I’ve had many synthetics & have sold most of them. I have kept a few 2 band badgers after trying many others.

I am intrigued with boar & would like to give them a try. I face lather, BTW. I am wondering if a boar has soft tips & would provide a good experience for me.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if there’s additional information you need in order to make a recommendation.

And in the long run, I’m only out 10-$12 if I try a Pro 48 or 49 & end up not liking it!

I've owned a few Omega boars along the way

80265 (x2) - 24mm/55mm banded unbleached
11819 - 24mm/55mm unbanded unbleached
10075 - 23mm/48mm unbanded unbleached

The latter is the smallest, cheapest Omega of them (I paid less than 5 Euros for the brush) and it took a while to break in and it's an absolute delight to use.

To be honest, I think a Zenith may be closer to what you are looking for. The bleached Zenith boars with taller loft are very soft but borderline floppy. They are very inexpensive. Also rebranded as Razorock brushes. Dimensionally similar to an Omega Pro boar.

zenith-pure-bristle-bleached-plastic-handle-ivory-color-black-ring-shaving-brush-80b.jpgzenith-pure-bristle-bleached-blue-cobalt-handle-502bc-se.jpgzenith-pure-bristle-bleached-olive-wood-handle-507u-se.jpgzenith-pure-bristle-bleached-olive-wood-handle-506u-se.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,

Thank you for your reply. I’m not sure if what I want is available in a boar brush.

I prefer softer brushes, less scrub & back bone. My Paladins have about as much scrub as I care for. I also have an M & F in finest that is one of my favorite brushes. I also have several silver tips that are quite nice. I’ve had many synthetics & have sold most of them. I have kept a few 2 band badgers after trying many others.

I am intrigued with boar & would like to give them a try. I face lather, BTW. I am wondering if a boar has soft tips & would provide a good experience for me.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if there’s additional information you need in order to make a recommendation.

And in the long run, I’m only out 10-$12 if I try a Pro 48 or 49 & end up not liking it!

Just straight out of the box Zenith boars and Mondial boars are softer than Omegas in my experience.

2-20-19.Mondial.Boars.Two.2.640.JPG

This ivory handled brush ^ linked here is one of my very favorite boar brushes. I like it a whole lot. It's a quality brush. I prefer it to my aluminum handled Mondial. From what you've said I think it might be a boar you'd like. The brush is not always available. I waited months to be able to order mine.

Any of the cheap Zeniths of this knot size would be okay, too, I think, but these, linked, are the cheapest. The handles are okay but nothing special. In my view, the Mondial handle is a lot nicer.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like you've got and enjoy some nice badgers. I like the two bands myself but generally think of them as scrubby. Are you sure you don't like scrub as long as it's soft scrub?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom