What's new

You Use What for What!?

I just read an interesting post by MJB about using the water he uses to warm his morning-coffee-thermos to lather up with.

It got me thinking about using non-shaving items in our shaving rituals. I didn't want to hijack his post with a question. So, here is the question: What items or products have you re-purposed to use in your shaving rituals?

I'm currently using a sugar-bowl to mix my lather in. Perfect size...and I like the lid. Makes for a cleaner look in the bath room.

I have a puck of williams in a tea cup... and when it is in my Shave Den I put the saucer on top of hte cup so it can hold other stuff and keep things from getting in the soap.

Coffee mug warmer becomes lather mug/later bowl warmer

proxy.php

I'm using one of my wife's casserole dishes as a scuttle by filling it with an inch
of scalding hot water and then placing my lather bowl inside. :biggrin:

I bought a $1 purple plastic tumbler at Job Lots about 10 or 12 years ago to use as a lathering mug. It fits VDH and Conk pucks perfectly.

I use a rice bowl for lather, a ziploc tub for my wool fat... (too poor for a dish) and a pill bottle for a travel tube for my brush. I don't think I am alone either...

I use a small tea cup that my parents gave the set to me whenever i got my own place b/c they didn't use it. Williams, and VDH fit perfectly in it. I use a large cereal type bowl from wal-mart to lather in. No scuttle, so i just let my bowl float in the hot water in my sink whilst i shave. More things to come. Curently i'm on the lookout for an old pipe holder to hold my razors....

I use a rameken to hold a William's puck. It's about 2-3/4" diameter, stands about 1.5" high, holds 4 fl. oz., and it's made out of white melamine.

I took it home in my doggy-bag from an Italian restaurant. It originally held marinara sauce. I have a half-dozen or so of these things in my kitchen that I use for all kinds of things, most of which are unrelated to cooking.

I use an African Violet pot as a scuttle and I keep a toothbrush on hand to de-gunk my headblade occasionally.

I bought a glass bowl and a plastic pet food dish at a dollar store. The bowl fits perfectly in the dish. The glass retains heat well. The plastic keeps it from escaping. My lather stays very hot.

That's my $2 scuttle.

I bought a metal/nylon spatula and a metal candle holder there too. I removed the spatula part and bent the metal handle. I added a zip tie to keep the parts together.

That's my $2 razor and brush stand.

My shaving mug was a teacup destined to be sold at our garage sale. I rescued it. It holds Williams (yuck) and VDH (nice!) pucks well.

My MWF mug is a coffee mug. I lather in another coffee mug. I've got a hanger in the closet as a brush stand. Sometimes I fill up a tupperware dish with hot water and put the coffee mug in it to make a ghetto scuttle.

An antique cough syrup bottle to put bay rum in, AND the cork stopper thereof for corking blades. I also use a covered onion soup thing for whoopin' up lather.

I used a Cambells soup mug/bowl as my lather bowl for awhile and I use a Cambells soup can with a slit for my spent blades.... umm umm good...:001_smile

Top Bottom