What's new

You Are The Wrong Guys To Ask, But . . .

Since I only own a dozen or so watches, I am feeling deprived. :001_rolle

Soooo, I have three questions:

What are your opinions about wearing once in a lifetime purchase watches? Have you found, as I have, that they tend to attract walls, car doors, grease, hard tools, sharp tools, etc?

What are you opinions about this particular watch:
http://www.watchuwant.com/watches/ball-engineer-hydrocarbon-chronograph-42mm-titaniumstainless-steel

We cannot legally buy anything over 25 millicuries here, since we might accidentally swallow a 45mm steel watch, or buy 10,000 of them and capture enough tritium to do, well, not much actually :mad3:

Otherwise, what would you guys think of this one, as opposed to the Engineer?:

http://www.abouttime.com/abouttime/ball-storm-cm2092c-l1j-bk.page.html

And, last but not least, should I buy it to celebrate taking on the highest paying office job I've ever had?

Regards,

- John

Those are some beautiful watches. My dream is to own a Rolex, i doubt i'll ever be able to afford one but it's a dream. If i had the money to spare i would have no problem wearing a watch i busted my butt to own. So i say if you can afford it, by all means buy it. You can't take it with you and everytime you strap that baby on you will smile and say "I've done pretty good in life" Good Luck to you sir :thumbup1:

If you've got the cash, I say get the watch that speaks to you. I'll unabashedly put in my vote on the Engineer Hydrocarbon.:drool::drool: That is one sweet looking watch! Besides, what else are you gonna do with the money? And watches are one of those things we can enjoy and actually use every day. Kinda like collecting old razors, huh?:thumbup1:

I like the storm chaser. Partly because of how it looks (which is awesome) and partly because it sports a Valjoux 7750 movement.
A classic.

Go for it, then I can say I know someone who has one (sort of).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What are your opinions about wearing once in a lifetime purchase watches? Have you found, as I have, that they tend to attract walls, car doors, grease, hard tools, sharp tools, etc?

Personally, I wouldn't really like wearing a high-end watch, for the very fear you mention of slamming it into one thing after another. I get uncomfortable enough wearing a watch worth a few hundred dollars, when I unexpectedly find myself having to stick my hand somewhere watch-dangerous, or bang into something.

Having $6,000 dangling at the end of my arm, begging for a scratch, would be too much to bear. Besides, there are lots of other things I need to do with that money a heck of a lot more ... and now being a family man and main breadwinner, me spending that much on a watch would strike me as selfish ... and SWMBO wouldn't be any kinder (justifiably so.)

"Honey, you drive that *** old car of yours for another year ... Daddy needs another watch ... and this one costs a lot of money." Yeah, right. :001_rolle

As others have said, if you have the money and like watches, there's nothing wrong with buying a higher end watch. I have a few nicer watches. I don't take any better care of them than I do of my *** Nike digital that cost $19 at the outlet store. I don't mean to imply that I'm careless, but if I had to baby them, I wouldn't enjoy wearing them.

Try them both on. Get the one that "speaks" to you. And get a rider for your homeowner's policy.

I say if you can afford it, want it, and feel you’ve earned it, by all means, buy the watch that speaks to you! But I would caution you to select your expensive watch wisely by not getting one that is too trendy or camp. (Not to suggest that the Ball watches you've picked are either; just general advice!) Stick with the basics and you can’t go wrong! Also, by purchasing a classic design you have a bit of reassurance that you won’t take a total pounding on its market value should you decide to sell it a few years down the road. Regardless of whatever you buy, make sure to cover it under some type of insurance! My watches and SWMBO’s jewelry are covered under a separate jewelry policy, so that gives me some comfort when I’m wearing a watch that’s worth more than my truck!

My .02, and good luck with your watch acquisition!:thumbup1:

Last edited:
I personally like the fireman watch better, just get a nice strap and it would look killer.

They both are going to have the ETA/valj 7750 movement, which is a workhorse of a movement.

Personally I prefer the 2nd watch, mainly because I dont like chunky watches, just a personal preference & that one seems more slimline.

If the jobs secure and you feel confident your position will be, I would go for it.

And if you do PLEASE wear it a lot. An old friend had a £2,500 21st present Tag Heuer that he hardly ever wore. In 4 years in my company he wore it 3 times. If you are going to spend that much on a watch do it justice and wear it.

I would rather a scratched watch face and getting the use out of it everyday, than having it in pristine condition, sitting in the box tucked away in a cupboard somewhere and only being brought out for "special occasions"

As dklaiman said definitely try both on, I guarantee one will just feel right.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps slightly!

I say if you can afford it, want it, and feel you’ve earned it, by all means, buy the watch that speaks to you! But I would caution you to select your expensive watch wisely by not getting one that is too trendy or camp. (Not to suggest that the Ball watches you've picked are either; just general advice!) Stick with the basics and you can’t go wrong! Also, by purchasing a classic design you have a bit of reassurance that you won’t take a total pounding on its market value should you decide to sell it a few years down the road. Regardless of whatever you buy, make sure to cover it under some type of insurance! My watches and SWMBO’s jewelry are covered under a separate jewelry policy, so that gives me some comfort when I’m wearing a watch that’s worth more than my truck!

My .02, and good luck with your watch acquisition!:thumbup1:

+1

I've never had a problem wearing an expensive watch. Of course, I'm not going to wear my Rolex when I'm wrenching on the Harley :biggrin1:
Either of those watches would be a great choice. Ball has quite a few very cool designs. I just picked up a Ball Fireman II and my wife has the Lady Ohio. They are very impressive watches at their price points. About Time is a great Ball AD. I've dealt with Steve on a few different watches and he has always gone over and above with his service. Good Luck

I've just went through a smiliar experience (think I posted about it) and decided not to spend $1,100 on a watch- I got an ebike instead and the city has opened up for me. I can't wait for the summer to really enjoy it without gloves, jumper, hat and ski-jacket! For me, no single watch would do it and I didn't want to have to spend another $1,000 on a second "once-in-a-lifetime" watch. I'm sticking with affordable items which I'm only going to be a little annoyed about losing or getting trashed- this is one of the reasons I love G-Shocks. A messed-up High-end watch looks, er, unfortunate, especially as you know the guy wearing it probably feels sick about it and if its in that condition for a long time, he can't afford to get it repaired. Of course some people have a certain insouciance which actually increases the kudos of say a vtge Sub- certainly a Sinn XV1'd suit that look. A beat-up G on the other hand, is almost always cool

Some of these posts amaze me. If you have no problem dropping $100 for a puck of Yardley, how can you possibly tell someone that spending money on a high end watch is not the best idea?

If you have the money, get the watch. Just be sure it is the one you really want.

some of these posts amaze me. If you have no problem dropping $100 for a puck of yardley, how can you possibly tell someone that spending money on a high end watch is not the best idea?

If you have the money, get the watch. Just be sure it is the one you really want.

ftw!!!

Top Bottom