What's new

I Bought Another Razor - Rex Ambassador Adjustable DE Razor

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I use my adjustable razors I like to set them one setting for my first two passes WTG & ATG and for my pickups I will go up 1 notch on the dial usually.
The reason I do this is to to catch those low or flat laying whiskers that can be stubborn to catch and that is the beauty of adjustable razors.
I'm glad your enjoying your new Rex Ambassador adjustable razor @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker .

My way of thinking on it is, as long as you have one high end non-adjustable razor, and one high end adjustable razor, we probably won't need anything more after that. I know there are tons of razors available to buy, or to collect for some.

But I am not so much about collecting razors, I am more about having the razors to do what I need them to do, provide hair follicle reduction. I think that you and I are both beginners at an excellent time for DE shaving. Why do I say that? Cause look at all the options available to us!

There was a time when there was only 1 razor or 2 on the market, now there tons!
SWCT, I just came onto your thread. I also own an Ambassador XL. I started with the Leaf Twig to learn how to start the process of developing a Wet Shaving technique ( always a work in progress). I then purchased the Rockwell T2 SS. That is also a wonderful razor, but I found in short time that it was too mild. I tried the Ikon X3 slant, (the slant jst didn't work for me). Before buying the Ambassador, I bought the Pearl Flexi (apparently a knock off). The shave was fine but the razor was mediocre construction. The handle would rattle. I took the plunge and bought the XL. Quite a change from the Rockwell, much more aggressive, i.e. efficient. With the help of some of the members here I was able to change my technique so as not to destroy my face. I love the razor. Like you, I am not a collector or hobbyist and just want a great everyday razor. I think the XL is IT. Now, the real test is to find the right blades that work with it. Since it has been a year since you bought the Rex Ambassador, what are your feelings about it now and what experience have you had with blades that work? Great posts.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
SWCT, I just came onto your thread. I also own an Ambassador XL. I started with the Leaf Twig to learn how to start the process of developing a Wet Shaving technique ( always a work in progress). I then purchased the Rockwell T2 SS. That is also a wonderful razor, but I found in short time that it was too mild. I tried the Ikon X3 slant, (the slant jst didn't work for me). Before buying the Ambassador, I bought the Pearl Flexi (apparently a knock off). The shave was fine but the razor was mediocre construction. The handle would rattle. I took the plunge and bought the XL. Quite a change from the Rockwell, much more aggressive, i.e. efficient. With the help of some of the members here I was able to change my technique so as not to destroy my face. I love the razor. Like you, I am not a collector or hobbyist and just want a great everyday razor. I think the XL is IT. Now, the real test is to find the right blades that work with it. Since it has been a year since you bought the Rex Ambassador, what are your feelings about it now and what experience have you had with blades that work? Great posts.

Sounds like you have had quite the razor adventure! The Leaf razors seem to be liked by many DE shavers, some even go as to say that they are, a good replacement for a cartridge razor. Rockwell makes solid DE razors, I don't think you can go wrong with them, lots of DE shavers love their Rockwell's! Ikon is not well talked about on the forum, I guess them razors are a mixed bag for folks. That is the exact same reason why I did not buy a Peral Flexi, I knew the construction of the razor wasn't good, so it wasn't worth my time, especially for how much they cost to buy!

Now, the Rex Ambassador, quality wise, is most certainly worth the money! Stainless steel is top notch, can't go wrong with that construction, especially when its well put together, with quality machining. I have course whiskers, and for me, I find, the Rex Ambassador works best with sharp blades, like Bic Chrome Platinum's, Wizamets, Gillette Silver Blue's. I can't use mild blades, far too tuggy for my whiskers. But I also can't use the sharpest blades in the land, Feathers, as they will tear my face up with the Rex Ambassador.

Also, the safety bar design of the Rex Ambassador, tends to scoop lather away at the first pass. So don't keep going back over that spot, unless you re-lather, or you'll experience razor burn. I find the Rex works best on setting 4 for the WTG passes. Once you exceed setting 4, yes you increase aggression, but you also increase roughness. XTG or DTG passes should be done best on setting 3 to 3.5. And then ATG passes should be done on setting 2.

The Rex Ambassador is an efficient shaving razor, so buffing should not be required after a standard 3-pass shave. It is not my most favorite shaving razor after a year later. I have a couple razors I like better. Having said that however, you can't deny the quality that is the Rex Ambassador, its top notch, and its gonna last far longer then any cheap Zamick razor I can tell you that much! Thanks for stopping by, and telling me your story. I really hope that you enjoy your new razor! 😍

Sounds like you have had quite the razor adventure! The Leaf razors seem to be liked by many DE shavers, some even go as to say that they are, a good replacement for a cartridge razor. Rockwell makes solid DE razors, I don't think you can go wrong with them, lots of DE shavers love their Rockwell's! Ikon is not well talked about on the forum, I guess them razors are a mixed bag for folks. That is the exact same reason why I did not buy a Peral Flexi, I knew the construction of the razor wasn't good, so it wasn't worth my time, especially for how much they cost to buy!

Now, the Rex Ambassador, quality wise, is most certainly worth the money! Stainless steel is top notch, can't go wrong with that construction, especially when its well put together, with quality machining. I have course whiskers, and for me, I find, the Rex Ambassador works best with sharp blades, like Bic Chrome Platinum's, Wizamets, Gillette Silver Blue's. I can't use mild blades, far too tuggy for my whiskers. But I also can't use the sharpest blades in the land, Feathers, as they will tear my face up with the Rex Ambassador.

Also, the safety bar design of the Rex Ambassador, tends to scoop lather away at the first pass. So don't keep going back over that spot, unless you re-lather, or you'll experience razor burn. I find the Rex works best on setting 4 for the WTG passes. Once you exceed setting 4, yes you increase aggression, but you also increase roughness. XTG or DTG passes should be done best on setting 3 to 3.5. And then ATG passes should be done on setting 2.

The Rex Ambassador is an efficient shaving razor, so buffing should not be required after a standard 3-pass shave. It is not my most favorite shaving razor after a year later. I have a couple razors I like better. Having said that however, you can't deny the quality that is the Rex Ambassador, its top notch, and its gonna last far longer then any cheap Zamick razor I can tell you that much! Thanks for stopping by, and telling me your story. I really hope that you enjoy your new razor! 😍
Thanks for the reply. Now you have piqued my curiosity. What are your favorite razors?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@walpan

My most favorite razor for:

( 1 ) Best Material Construction ( Titanium )
( 2 ) Best All Time Handle
( 3 ) Best Weight Balance
( 4 ) Excellent Efficiency
( 5 ) Smooth Shaver
( 6 ) Can Handle 3-Day Whisker Growth

Timeless TI95 DE
proxy.php

Crown Handle
Scalloped SB Plate
Smooth Cap
.095 Blade Gap.
Engraved

( 1 ) Awesome Construction ( Copper & Rose Gold )
( 2 ) Quality Handle Great Grip
( 3 ) Heavy Weighted Feels Good
( 4 ) Efficiency Can Be Adjusted
( 5 ) Smoothest Shaving Razor Ever
( 6 ) Double Open Comb Head Is So Nice
( 7 ) Can Handle 7-Day Whisker Growth

PAA Copper Ascension Twist DE
proxy.php

( 1 ) Great Construction ( Nickel Plated Brass )
( 2 ) Quality Handle Great Grip
( 3 ) Moderate Weighted Feels Good
( 4 ) Efficiency Can Be Adjusted
( 5 ) Smooth Shaving Razor
( 6 ) Best Vintage Adjustable Razor IMO
( 7 ) Can Handle 5-Day Whisker Growth

1959 ( E-3 ) Gillette 195 Adjustable Fatboy DE
proxy.php

Top Bottom