What's new

Yet Another Journal of Razors and Blades and Stuff

Lambda Athena
Nacet (3)
Wald A1 Nimbus
La Toja stick
Stirling unscented balm
Captain's Choice Island Time splash sample

Killed another splash sample. I liked it more than I expected, both the scent and the burn. I was going to try Captain's bay rum cream when my current cream gets low, I might just get the matching splash then too.

Athena is proving to be an interesting razor. I got drawn into chasing the baby again like I did my first shave on Friday. I really need to quit that, as I'm just not going to have that kind of time most days. After nearly a full 1/2 hour in front of the mirror, I ended up with... an amazingly close shave, a single pinprick weeper in my mustache area, and pretty much no irritation.

So she seems capable of a super-close yet gentle shave if I have plenty of time to kill. And that’s great, but what I need to see is how close a shave I can get when I don't have all the time in the world. Not so much in a rush, but a typical shave where I don’t go over every little bit of stubble multiple times.

Sounds like a terrific shave!

And also yes, why can I leave good enough alone? The whiskers grow back so quickly, why bother? It is often going back and touching up the mouth/mustache corners that earns me a couple red dots.
I’ve been getting better about that but obviously was not disciplined enough this afternoon. Probably the most remarkable thing today though wasn’t how close the shave was (though it was most excellent) but that I only got the one weeper. Most other razors would have punished that behavior fivefold at least.

I didn’t have time this weekend to post, but I fit in a quick shave on Saturday at 24 hours or so after my last one. Got a weeper on both mustache corners, and a few hours of minor discomfort. I’m assuming that the disparity in results was due to the shave interval, but I’ll have a better idea after I shave at 48+ hours later today. It wasn’t bad, but I don’t know how daily shavers do it. I’m not ready to change it up yet, but it makes me start to wonder if I should go to straight-up every other day rather than 4/week.
I'm going to figure out how to comfortably shave 6 days/week if it kills me (and it very well might) :eek2:

That’s what I was going for by using each razor with my go-to Nacet and one other blade that I thought would be a good match for the razor. But so far, none of my second blades outperformed the Nacet. But that might be because apart from Blackbird, all my razors are pretty similar - well clamped, mild, and low exposure.
I think this is a good strategy: a "safe" (go-to) blade plus one you expect will be a best match. Of course, our "safe" blade will no doubt change over time, because ... you know ... Galibier Rule #1 :c2:

So I'm having fits and starts after three shaves with the Masamune, but mostly of my own doing, and the blade theme runs strong here ...

My first shave was with a Permasharp (#3) and I rather liked it. I thought I'd dial it back a bit, and for shave #2, I loaded a a fresh 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Green, from St. Pete). Well, that was a big disappointment, and my chin is still paying the price, nearly about 54 hours later.

I had only started keeping a log in late December, shortly after getting my Athena. Little did I recall that my first three entries were for one of these Greens, and I logged my results as mediocre. My flawed memory was that I had a fairly mild shave. So much for memory :letterk1:

Anyhow, I gave my face a 31 hour rest, ditched the "Green" and loaded a fresh Personna. We're on the road to recovery, and I realize that I'm still learning the Masamune's angle. I was in search of more efficiency, and it was only on my second pass last night that I think it "clicked".

So, "sneaky efficient" definitely applies with the Permasharp, and as I commit the Masamune's angle to muscle memory, it may well apply to the likes of Personas, Astras, Gillette Wilkies, Sharks, and such. We'll see ...

I'm thinking however that my "what the heck" first try with the Permasharp was in the general range of what will be ideal for this razor and face combo. We'll see about that.

I'm definitely planning on picking up some of the mild blades suggested here because you can't have too many choices. How else would we get confused :out:

Indeed, everything I'm gravitating toward parallels your experience - low to medium exposure and well clamped. The only exception (and I can't wait to bring this back into the mix) is my Gamechanger. I was surprised to find that shaving "steep" at the corner of my mouth/mustache unlocked a decent ATG pass in this area.

I’ve been getting better about that but obviously was not disciplined enough this afternoon. Probably the most remarkable thing today though wasn’t how close the shave was (though it was most excellent) but that I only got the one weeper. Most other razors would have punished that behavior fivefold at least.
That's the craziest thing about the Masmune. I'm getting more weepers than ever! With the Athena, it's one maybe every third shave, and with the Overlander if I get one per week, it's a lot.

... Thom

It does seem like the Personna PC is your go-to blade for most razors, Thom. Maybe follow Shane's advice and use that for quite a few shaves with any new razor?

That said, I do think the full Masamune being quite negative exposure, might need a sharper blade. And your first run with a Perma Sharp might support that. One of the worst, most uncomfortable shaves I remember was using a dull-ish blade in a Tech.

I too often have a pretty good first shave with a new razor, but then it gets worse. Sometimes it stays bad, but other times it climbs back up to great. Likely that is just me being too cautious on the first run and too confident on the second. Live and learn, I guess.

So I'm having fits and starts after three shaves with the Masamune, but mostly of my own doing, and the blade theme runs strong here ...

My first shave was with a Permasharp (#3) and I rather liked it. I thought I'd dial it back a bit, and for shave #2, I loaded a a fresh 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Green, from St. Pete). Well, that was a big disappointment, and my chin is still paying the price, nearly about 54 hours later.

I had only started keeping a log in late December, shortly after getting my Athena. Little did I recall that my first three entries were for one of these Greens, and I logged my results as mediocre. My flawed memory was that I had a fairly mild shave. So much for memory :letterk1:

Anyhow, I gave my face a 31 hour rest, ditched the "Green" and loaded a fresh Personna. We're on the road to recovery, and I realize that I'm still learning the Masamune's angle. I was in search of more efficiency, and it was only on my second pass last night that I think it "clicked".
For the blade, I'm with @spacemonkey42, stick with the Personna PC or Permasharp. Personna is your go-to, and it sounds like Permasharp is a close second and you had a good first shave with that.

For angle, neutral (or as best you close as possible) seemed to serve me best. You get the benefit of the safety bar on the skin ahead of the blade, but the blade still cuts at a shallow angle due to the razor geometry.

Indeed, everything I'm gravitating toward parallels your experience - low to medium exposure and well clamped. The only exception (and I can't wait to bring this back into the mix) is my Gamechanger.
I could be wrong, but doesn't the GC have a short clamp distance as well?

That's the craziest thing about the Masmune. I'm getting more weepers than ever! With the Athena, it's one maybe every third shave, and with the Overlander if I get one per week, it's a lot.
It's got to be pressure, and/or over-shaving. That's what I assume it was for me. With negative exposure, you can't draw blood (or even cut at skin level) if the razor glides over your skin with zero pressure.

So after shave #4 on a Masamune (Personna #2), my private thoughts aligned with your (@T Bone) comments - about me over shaving.

At this early stage (and with the Personna as a constant), I'd say that order of efficiency is Masamune --> Overlander --> Athena. There's a slightly bigger jump from the Overlander to the Athena than from the Masamune to the Overlander.

I'm fairly confident that my expectations (target results) have me running too many passes, and very likely leaning on the razor too much.

By yesterday's (3rd) shave, I dialed in the angle, so that variable is under control. Muscle memory had me going steeper initially. Whether my memory is correct (about 24 degrees - shave at a shallower angle), I'm finding the sweet spot to be shallower than the Overlander and Athena.

My chin is still healing from that disastrous shave #2 (7 O'clock Green), and commitments found me shaving at 44 hours for shave #4, so job #1 is about recovery.

I'll stick with the full Masamune for a while, finish off this Personna (#3) and then evaluate.

Even with having found the angle, I don't think that a Personna is enough blade for me. I took too many passes - ultimately getting a close shave and for the most part, avoiding further damage.

So after the next shave (shave #3 on the Personna and the 5th shave in total), I'm pondering bumping the spice factor to either a fresh Permasharp or GSB. Some Astras and Gillette Wilkies are arriving on Saturday, so there's that as well.

I have to say, that at this point, the Overlander is the most flexible in terms of blades. At this early stage, it's my Goldilocks razor. Because of this, there's a part of me that wants to jump right into the Nodachi base plate, but I'm going to exercise some discipline.

Remind me whose journal this is again?

... Thom

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So after shave #4 on a Masamune (Personna #2), my private thoughts aligned with your (@T Bone) comments - about me over shaving.

At this early stage (and with the Personna as a constant), I'd say that order of efficiency is Masamune --> Overlander --> Athena. There's a slightly bigger jump from the Overlander to the Athena than from the Masamune to the Overlander.

I'm fairly confident that my expectations (target results) have me running too many passes, and very likely leaning on the razor too much.

By yesterday's (3rd) shave, I dialed in the angle, so that variable is under control. Muscle memory had me going steeper initially. Whether my memory is correct (about 24 degrees - shave at a shallower angle), I'm finding the sweet spot to be shallower than the Overlander and Athena.

My chin is still healing from that disastrous shave #2 (7 O'clock Green), and commitments found me shaving at 44 hours for shave #4, so job #1 is about recovery.

I'll stick with the full Masamune for a while, finish off this Personna (#3) and then evaluate.

Even with having found the angle, I don't think that a Personna is enough blade for me. I took too many passes - ultimately getting a close shave and for the most part, avoiding further damage.

So after the next shave (shave #3 on the Personna and the 5th shave in total), I'm pondering bumping the spice factor to either a fresh Permasharp or GSB. Some Astras and Gillette Wilkies are arriving on Saturday, so there's that as well.

I have to say, that at this point, the Overlander is the most flexible in terms of blades. At this early stage, it's my Goldilocks razor. Because of this, there's a part of me that wants to jump right into the Nodachi base plate, but I'm going to exercise some discipline.

... Thom
In my view and I think Tbone's, though I can't speak for him.... the ebb and flow is what makes journals interesting. That could just be me.

Interesting! Er, wait… is that least efficient to most efficient? Ok, that would be in line with my expectations. Masamune is way more efficient than I expected but probably less than Athena. I should be able to corroborate that better soon, but I haven’t really used Athena “properly” yet, with 2 super long, slow shaves and 1 rather rushed one. I need to get in a typical 2-pass-minimal-cleanup shave this afternoon. Overlander has been too long, I need to get back to that one this spring.

Can’t say for the Overlander, but Athena definitely seems to like me holding the handle steeper (closer to the face) than Tatara. I’m not sure what that means for blade angle. That, I think, is the angle that Tatara says is optimized at 24 degrees, but is also nearly impossible to see precisely due to blade bend.

I don’t think the GWS will be a step up in sharpness from Personna, Astra maybe not either. Not sure about GSB, that might be a little bit. You had a great first shave with Permasharp, I’d go with that unless you’d rather hedge on the sharpness with GSB.

I have to say, that at this point, the Overlander is the most flexible in terms of blades. At this early stage, it's my Goldilocks razor.
:thumbup:

Because of this, there's a part of me that wants to jump right into the Nodachi base plate, but I'm going to exercise some discipline.
Probably a good call for now. Try a couple more with the full Masamune and a sharper blade first. :thumbup1:

In my view and I think Tbone's, though I can't speak for him.... the ebb and flow is what makes journals interesting. That could just be me.
Lolol. 😂 Yeah, what Kim said. 😄

I always reference steepness to the cap assembly and not the handle. By no means am I trying to quote a specific angle. I probably shouldn't have mentioned 24 degrees, since I haven't seen this on Tatara's site, or if I did, it was too long ago to remember whether they were referring to the flat surface of the base plate, or the last mm of the blade.

In any case (while easier to see, and I likely use this as a reference point while shaving), I never use the handle as a descriptor for steepness, since the relationship is the opposite (steep handle angle = shallow base plate angle - I know that you know this). It confuses me to no end when people use the handle, as a descriptor for the same reason you asked. I never know whether they have a grasp of geometry. I'm amazed at the level of math illiteracy I encounter ;-)

I'm guessing that (in reference to the Athena) when you wrote "handle steeper (closer to the face)" you meant: head steeper, with handle closer to the face (than the Masamune). The latter is what I was trying to convey.

My reticence for jumping back into the Permasharp is the "Athena effect" - a phenomenal smooth, comfortable, efficient first shave and a downward spiral when shaving 3 days in a row.

I'd like to first dial in a 3 in a row combo, even if it's more in the 36 than 24 hour interval range. I suspect that the Personna will continue to require more passes (and subliminally more pressure), resulting in post shave tightness. So, from reports here, an Astra may be a midpoint between it and Nacet/Permasharp.

I've only run 2 or 3 GSBs, and I think they're a slight bit less sharp than a Permasharp, which is why I mentioned them. I shouldn't have confused matters by mentioning the Gillette Wilkies. I ordered them for future experiments.

Yes, by relative efficiency (Personna being the constant), the Overlander falls between the least efficient full Masamune configuration and considerably more efficient Athena. I can see where the arrows might have been misinterpreted as greater than signs ;-)

Did I mention the weight, balance, and handle texture of the Masamune is near perfection (always leave some room for the last skater in the competition)? It's the opposite of the Athena in this regard which has the strangest feel in my hands. That seemingly slippery (but not), apparently too thin (but not) Masamune handle is ergonomic perfection in my hand.

As far as the "whose journal" rhetorical question, I should have thrown an emoji in there.

... Thom

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I don't get along with the Personna Platinum Chrome (Germany) blades. They always seem less sharp than others I like - including Astra Stainless (blue) and Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India). But it is less sharp feeling in a strange way. Someone mentioned they have a micro-bevel, which might mean the tip is sharp, but a bit more blunt? So I am very interested to hear what you find with an Astra Stainless or GWS.

Does anyone else relate to what I am saying with the Personna Platinum Chrome?

I don't know why, but I don't get along with the Personna Platinum Chrome (Germany) blades. They always seem less sharp than others I like - including Astra Stainless (blue) and Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India). But it is less sharp feeling in a strange way. Someone mentioned they have a micro-bevel, which might mean the tip is sharp, but a bit more blunt? So I am very interested to hear what you find with an Astra Stainless or GWS.

In the Masamune, the Personna (German) feels like what you're reporting.

I'll need to revisit it in the Gamechanger(s) to comment (Galibier Rule #1), so that will take a while. I really want to re-dedicate some time to the Gamechangers after this session with the Tataras.

The Overlander continues to take what I throw at it and make it (the blade) better, so from a blade analysis perspective, it's a "bad" razor.

In the Athena, I primarily noticed the bump in efficiency from the Overlander, but perhaps some of what wasn't working for me in that razor was indeed the Personna.

This has my attention, and I'm increasingly interested in the Astra Blue.

... Thom

I always reference steepness to the cap assembly and not the handle. By no means am I trying to quote a specific angle. I probably shouldn't have mentioned 24 degrees, since I haven't seen this on Tatara's site, or if I did, it was too long ago to remember whether they were referring to the flat surface of the base plate, or the last mm of the blade.
I think I took something that you said clearly and made it confusing. Tatara says on their Masamune page that the razor presents the blade at a 24 degree angle to the skin, which is both shallow and impossible to observe directly while shaving. Shaving shallow or steep is (I think?) typically observed by the angle of the handle or noting that you're riding the cap or bar.

So I think I'm keeping both the Athena and Masamune neutral (both the cap and bar on skin), but I'm not paying attention to that so much as making sure they're both cutting effectively and comfortably. And that's with the Athena looking like it's at a steeper angle than Tatara. If all that makes any sense. 😵‍💫

Did I mention the weight, balance, and handle texture of the Masamune is near perfection (always leave some room for the last skater in the competition)? It's the opposite of the Athena in this regard which has the strangest feel in my hands. That seemingly slippery (but not), apparently too thin (but not) Masamune handle is ergonomic perfection in my hand.
It really is! :thumbup1:

Though Athena is much better ergonomically than I expected. Definitely feels bigger/heavier, but I don't find it unbalanced. And I was expecting it to be slippery, but since it's top-heavy, I choke up and hold it closer to the head where something about those rings or the unpolished flat surfaces make it easy to hold.

Hmm, it's possible I could be remembering the Personna PCs as sharper than they really are. I thought they were at least a small step sharper than the Indian Wilkies but maybe not.

Lambda Athena
Nacet (4)
Wald A1 Nimbus
Southern Witchcrafts Gothorum Tonstrina
Stirling unscented menthol balm

Got a typical 15-20 minute shave this afternoon, and it was pretty great. In the BBS- range with no red stuff. Some missed mustache/goatee stubble, but no razor gets all of that without a lot of effort and some weepers. I'll start tracking the shaves on Friday to see how it stacks up to Henson++ and the Tataras, if it's worth pursuing a steel Athena. I went into this thinking I'd be confirming that Athena is bit too aggressive, but I don't think that anymore, I think it's going to be a tough call.

Got a typical 15-20 minute shave this afternoon, and it was pretty great. In the BBS- range with no red stuff. Some missed mustache/goatee stubble, but no razor gets all of that without a lot of effort and some weepers. I'll start tracking the shaves on Friday to see how it stacks up to Henson++ and the Tataras, if it's worth pursuing a steel Athena. I went into this thinking I'd be confirming that Athena is bit too aggressive, but I don't think that anymore, I think it's going to be a tough call.
Progress!

Yup, I think we finally got the angle thing down (or is it up ). I still hold out hope that the Athena will remain in the quiver. I may be slower to confirm this than the early returns from T bone-Land are filtering in, and I won't be rash about it (pun intended).

In other news, my growing blade collection is challenging my current organization strategy. Those cardboard wrappers for 100-packs is a recipe for tucks blades becoming scattered all over the drawer they're stored in.

A quick surf, and I found these small plastic cases on Amazon. You'll find tons of other sizes, but these seemed to be the most compact, while still holding at least 20 tucks (I'll bet double that).

... Thom (aka organizational geek)

Progress!

Yup, I think we finally got the angle thing down (or is it up :cuppa:). Base plate angle on the Masamune experimentally determined to be shallower than either the Overlander or Athena. I didn't pay attention to whether this is their designed neutral position (riding the cap and bar equally). I'll report back on that.

I still hold out hope that the Athena will remain in the quiver. I may be slower to confirm this than the early returns trickling in from T bone-Land, and I won't be rash (pun intended) about putting it on BST .

In other news, my growing blade collection is challenging my current organization strategy. Those cardboard wrappers for 100-packs is a recipe for tucks blades becoming scattered all over the drawer they're stored in.

A quick surf, and I found these small plastic cases on Amazon. You'll find tons of other sizes, and different ones will obviously work for you. These seemed to be the most compact, while still holding at least 20 tucks (I'll bet double that).

... Thom (aka organizational geek)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been using these...........Don't use the dividers for blades and one stores around 500 blades easily.. and you can put a thin layer on top for a few stragglers. I also have a few with the dividers installed to hold razors I have on the back burner in storage.

Amazon has them at 3X the price... Amazon used to have the best prices most of the time...For some reason, this is no longer the case.

Top Bottom