What's new

Yes, it's another "which knot for my restore" thread

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm looking for some advice on a know for my restore. My handle is ceramic and has a ceramic shelf that sits 10mm down from the top of the handle. I don't want to drill into this because I'm afraid I'll just crack the handle, so this obviously limits how deep I can set a knot. The opening is 22mm across. I'm looking at a 20mm Finest Badger XH knot from TGN. It's 60mm from the base of the knot, so it would set at about 52mm after there's some epoxy in the hole. According to TGN, this will put the top of the plug right at the top of the handle (they estimate 8mm for the plug).

My question is will this knot be floppy when it's set right at the plug? My hope is that if I go with Finest and XH, it won't be a wet noodle. Also, I've heard differing opinions about whether a bulb shape is less floppy than a fan--any expert opinions out there about this?

To the extent it matters, I'll mostly use the brush for bowl and face lathering creams.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you want the maximum backbone go with the bulb. The shorter support hairs will help some with the higher loft. I have the 24mm and although its less firm at its full loft than I prefer, its still usable, much more so than say my super silvertip. I'm guessing your 22 should be similar. If your in love with the handle, I think the finest is as good as its going to get with shallow knot bed.

I think they had some short loft knots a while back, it seems like they were silvertip though. At that point its a about how short the lofts were, and even then its most likely a toss up.

I have a TGN 20mm finest XH fan set at 50mm and it definitely isn't floppy like, say a WD silver tip. Whips up soaps without a problem - as easy as my Omega boar and have even lent it out to a couple of new wet shavers and they haven't had problems getting a lather from soap. My guess would be at 52mm plus the extra support of a bulb you would still have a great brush.

Some pics here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/252022-Restore-of-Fred?highlight=

Last edited:
The solution is not to have 2mm of epoxy at the bottom of the knot. Adhesive doesn't rely on volume. Once you have 100% coverage, less is more. That said, 50mm won't be "floppy" but it is a good 4-6mm higher than I prefer that knot set at (though I like them set a bit lower than most from what I've seen). However, even if it's not ideal, it certainly won't be a "wet noodle".

Agree with slice of life. Use enough epoxy to cover the base, and get a little of it to ooze up around the knot. If you get a 20MM the plug is closer to 19MM, so there will be area for the epoxy to be displaced somewhat. I have a 22MM knot that I set at 51MM and it is nowhere near floppy. You should be fine.

I "think" you may be able to sand a mm or two off the bottom of the plug as well. Also, it seems I recall TGN having some short loft knots. I trust you've explored those.

Personally, I would find it a bit floppy for face lathering, (I like to set them aroung 45mm). A couple suggestions:

1. Talk to Tony. There is a certain amount of variability among the knots, and he is usually willing to pick out one that is the closest to what you need.

2. Have you considered trying to grind down the shelf with a dremmel, rather than cut through it? That might work with less risk of breaking the handle.

3. The finest is a wonderful knot, but for extra backbone have you considered the black badger? It is a bit more scritchy, but not bad, and is very dense and strong.

Personally, I would find it a bit floppy for face lathering, (I like to set them aroung 45mm). A couple suggestions:

1. Talk to Tony. There is a certain amount of variability among the knots, and he is usually willing to pick out one that is the closest to what you need.

2. Have you considered trying to grind down the shelf with a dremmel, rather than cut through it? That might work with less risk of breaking the handle.

3. The finest is a wonderful knot, but for extra backbone have you considered the black badger? It is a bit more scritchy, but not bad, and is very dense and strong.

Good advice here. I have a 20mm Finest set at 50 too, it is a bit floppy for me but it still works great. The black bodger might be a good option. Also 22 is a bit large for the 20mm knot with a 10mm hole. If you can get the hole deeper that would be good.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Thanks for all the tips. It looks like there's a short loft 22mm in Best that would work (I understand the plug size is usually 21mm +/- 0.5mm), which I could set about ~ 47mm. Between that and the 20mm XH Finest Bulb set at ~ 51mm, which do you think would be less floppy? Another option would be the pure badger set ~ 50.

Last edited:
Best Grade is a stiffer and scritchier hair but does have fairly soft tips, I like the scrub of the Best Grade and have a 22mm set @46mm which I enjoy. Generally speaking, Bulbs having the same specs as a Fan will always have more backbone.

Top Bottom