What's new

Yerba Mate

Hey fellas. I'm starting to get into yerba mate, and I thought this would be a good place to get some pointers. I've been brewing it in a tea strainer, but I think I'm going to get a French press soon. Any recommendations you guys have about brands, types, vendors, etc. would be great. It's hard to know where to start.

Thanks!

Have you looked into geting a mate gourd? It is way simpler than using a french press, and it is how the drink is traditionally prepared.

It transforms the drink from merely a beverage into an experience.

I've tried several "brands", and my favorite is EcoTeas (as linked above). I have always used a French Press. Wonderful stuff.

I've not been tempted by the gourd yet, because I usually end up taking it on the road and into work. Seems like the gourd would be cumbersome around the woodshop, not to mention in the car. I could probably be convinced though :)

I've not been tempted by the gourd yet, because I usually end up taking it on the road and into work. Seems like the gourd would be cumbersome around the woodshop, not to mention in the car. I could probably be convinced though :)

o contraire. The gourd is awesome for on-the-go drinking. You just get yourself a thermos and re-fill the gourd with hot water from the that; the Argentines take them everywhere

I know an Argentine national who now lives in Chicago. He has a somewhat scratched metal clad wood gourd that he travels with around the globe. He takes pictures of it where ever he goes and posts them on a yerbe mate Facebook page.

A gourd is a cup, no more cumbersome than your coffee mug. Since you do multiple infusions using a gourd, it is easier than a French Press for refills. You just need a liter sized thermos with a pour through cap on it and you're good to go! There are actually travel kits for such thing on some web sits that have yerbe mate.

Top Bottom