What's new

Help me understand the need to bloom French Press coffee...

I don't get it. I can understand the idea in a manual drip but can't figure it out in a French press.

Watching the "experts" on videos, they pour a tiny amount of water on the grounds and wait 30 seconds or so, stir a little and then pour the rest of the water in. Wouldn't the coffee de-gas just fine if you filled the whole carafe all the way and skipped this step? It's not like a pour-over where the initial water drains out after the grounds are saturated. No matter when you add the water, the coffee stays in contact with the water the whole time.

I'm just getting into a FP after having one for years and hardly using it (except to make cold brew or Yerba Mate in which any pitcher could have worked). I just don't grasp this step of bloom with this type of device.

Any help would be nice. Thanks guys!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been watching the same YouTuber videos and read James Hoffmann's book.. I've tried it both ways over the past few weeks.... I couldn't tell any difference... the thing had has made the coffee better for me has been only pushing the plunger in until the grinds gently touch the bottom of the glass... I had been pushing it all the way in.

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever bloomed with a French press. Like you I just can’t see the need. The only French press video I’ve ever watched is the Hoffman one and it’s been long enough ago that I can’t remember if he blooms or not, but if he does I probably tried it a few times and disregarded it like I have most of that method. I genuinely like watching James Hoffman videos and I’ve learned a ton from them, but I don’t like his French press method. The only thing I took from it is that it’s ok if I get busy cooking breakfast and need to let it sit a few minutes longer before pouring it out.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The purpose of pre-infusion AKA blooming, is to bring out more of the flavor, to allow for better extraction. While this makes sense for Pour Over and an Auto Drip brewer, it doesn't make sense, for a French Press. Full disclosure, I've never used a French Press, but based on the understanding I have, of how they are supposed to work, I will have to agree with the other's. No need to bloom the French Press coffee soup, just push that plunger down, hope you used enough grinds, and got the water temp right, and hope for the best lol.

You don't need to bloom French Press.

You especially don't need to bloom a French Press if you fill it from a gooseneck kettle. It takes frustratingly long, but I don't have room for two kettles...

Quote me on this so someone who knows better corrects me in detail:

You don't need to bloom any immersion brew method.

I still bloom my Hario Switch brews, because it looks like a V60 cone, and I'm not totally certain it can hold all of the brew water if I don't drain the initial bloom

the thing had has made the coffee better for me has been only pushing the plunger in until the grinds gently touch the bottom of the glass... I had been pushing it all the way in.
Makes sense. Like tea, when you squeeze the leaves or the bag, you're releasing all the tannins that make a bitter cup. I'm sure the same "bad" stuff gets released from coffee.

The best thing I've found for me was to take a small strainer and skim off the grounds at the top before pouring. The two spoon method is more demanding than I have patience for, so the strainer works better. That right there makes a less silty/sludgy cup without having to wait another 5 minutes for the grounds to all sink. I'm all about time- which is why I probably never used the FP to begin with when I can just push a button. ;)

I too don't think one has to bloom in a French press for flavor. However, there is another reason. When I pour in some water and stir the grounds, the froth/bubbles break down and I can get much more water into the press. When I don't, I get a head of froth on the coffee which prevents me from adding as much water.

If you're not wanting to get the most water in, then it too will not matter. But I try to make a very full pot and this lets me get the most water possible.

lasta

Blade Biter
Makes sense. Like tea, when you squeeze the leaves or the bag, you're releasing all the tannins that make a bitter cup. I'm sure the same "bad" stuff gets released from coffee.

The best thing I've found for me was to take a small strainer and skim off the grounds at the top before pouring. The two spoon method is more demanding than I have patience for, so the strainer works better. That right there makes a less silty/sludgy cup without having to wait another 5 minutes for the grounds to all sink. I'm all about time- which is why I probably never used the FP to begin with when I can just push a button. ;)
A spoonful of cold water will help the grounds sink.

Part of the cowboy coffee tricks I learned while getting by during a 3 month Covid prison sentence.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Disclaimer: I am a heathen who uses pre-ground coffee. Supermarket own brand in a foil bag. However, I do use a cafetierre for my coffee, and people who are into their coffees way more than I am, tell me I make a damn fine brew, and are surprised at the results from my heathen methods.

Double walled stainless steel cafetierre, not pre warmed. I add one scoop of coffee per person, pour over water not long off the boil, but don't fill right up. When I put the lid on with plunger up, there's still a decent gap between any froth and the mesh disc. I leave it like that for a minute or so before stirring well, then lid back on, plunger up still. I only leave it about a minute and a half or so more before pouring. I hate bitter coffee.

Plunger down till the first hint of resistance. If that's before the plunger is 2/3 of the way down, I plunged too early*. Pour out, but not every last drop, I don't need the drain the sludge. If more water is needed, it's added to the cup/s not the cafetierre.

Too much water in to start with, too much brew time, too much plunger pressure; and too much drained out, are the best ways to ruin it. So long as I avoid those, all is well. It's not "hobby" grade coffee, but a brew that doesn't provoke "lessons" from those who like their coffee more complicated than I do.

* If I plunged too early, I yank the plunger back up partway rapidly, to vacuum flush the floaters out of the filter. If not, I'm pouring through sludge, and it tastes bitter. Lifting and setting the pot down firmly (but not slamming it down), can help encourage it to settle.

I too don't think one has to bloom in a French press for flavor. However, there is another reason. When I pour in some water and stir the grounds, the froth/bubbles break down and I can get much more water into the press. When I don't, I get a head of froth on the coffee which prevents me from adding as much water.

If you're not wanting to get the most water in, then it too will not matter. But I try to make a very full pot and this lets me get the most water possible.
This is the same for me. I never thought people were blooming it, just making it easier to work with. If you don't do this, you have to break up the cake that forms at the top of the carafe and doing so can cause grounds to spill out or into the spout area where they stay on the wrong side of your plunger.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don't get it. I can understand the idea in a manual drip but can't figure it out in a French press.

Watching the "experts" on videos, they pour a tiny amount of water on the grounds and wait 30 seconds or so, stir a little and then pour the rest of the water in. Wouldn't the coffee de-gas just fine if you filled the whole carafe all the way and skipped this step? It's not like a pour-over where the initial water drains out after the grounds are saturated. No matter when you add the water, the coffee stays in contact with the water the whole time.

I'm just getting into a FP after having one for years and hardly using it (except to make cold brew or Yerba Mate in which any pitcher could have worked). I just don't grasp this step of bloom with this type of device.

Any help would be nice. Thanks guys!
Glad you reminded me. The last French Press I made sucked. That’s what I forgot to do!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have one of those long handle, swivel, stainless steel spoons. I pour with my right hand and stir with my left as I pour. I don't pour quickly so the grounds all get wet immediately. I stir a bit more when the French Press is full.... and scoop off the foam somewhere near the 4 minute mark. Then I let things settle out over the next 5 minutes and clean up around the kitchen. You know, unload the dishwasher, wipe down the counter tops..... clean out the cat's water fountain, etc. The time is well spent, so I don't feel like I'm standing or sitting around waiting for the coffee to be ready.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't get it. ...

Watching the "experts" on videos, they pour a tiny amount of water on the grounds and wait 30 seconds or so, stir a little and then pour the rest of the water in.

Dunno about "blooming" but ...

... how I do the FP is similar to what you describe. For me, the point is to let the grounds get wet and soak up water, and be as close to "done" as possible, and THEN pour in the majority of the hot water.

The benefits for me is that the grounds sink rather than float, naturally, when I go to do the plunge ... and since the majority of the hot water has been added at the end, the coffee is as hot as possible when made. Ease and efficiency of plunging, and temperature of finished product: that's my goal.

Does it taste differently compared to just pouring all the water in at the start and then stirring later? No idea ... never noticed a difference, but it was always "good".

Try it both ways and see what you prefer.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I was catching up on some podcasts yesterday. Oddly enough, one was Milk Street with James Hoffmann talking about coffee and his French press method. I'd heard of it but forgotten since I only occassionally use my French press these days.

He adds all the water at once and then does nothing for 5 minutes. Then, he stirs it to break the crust, scoops out the foam and other bits that float, and then again does nothing for another 5 minutes. After that, he lowers the plunger only to the top of the liquid and pours.

It's unusual, but many swear by it. Has anyone tried it?

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I was catching up on some podcasts yesterday. Oddly enough, one was Milk Street with James Hoffmann talking about coffee and his French press method. I'd heard of it but forgotten since I only occassionally use my French press these days.

He adds all the water at once and then does nothing for 5 minutes. Then, he stirs it to break the crust, scoops out the foam and other bits that float, and then again does nothing for another 5 minutes. After that, he lowers the plunger only to the top of the liquid and pours.

Nope, haven't done that.

I've been tempted to but just don't like the idea of the grounds steeping that long. I'm usually in too much of a rush.
@SwamperWI has though. We'll see if he chimes in on it.

After posting this question, and seeing some of the answers above, it appears the biggest draw for blooming the coffee is so that it doesn't expand too much near the top if you wait until all the water is added. Makes sense to me. I rarely have coffee "fresh" enough to blow up like a volcano, so that never even crossed my mind. ;)

Top Bottom