What's new

Yaqi Tile - First Shave

I haven't tried the Yaqi Tile, but I can say that for me the Henson (+ and ++) are very inefficient (frustratingly so). I like the Winning, though.
Ditto with the Henson mild. The Winning was a tad better but, for me, plenty inefficient too. People love the Hensons, though. So we must be wrong about them, right? Nah!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Notice that Henson had multiple plates, but while the EH plate was more efficient than the M, the shaving characteristics themselves don't change much at all.

The Winning and Merica are supposedly even milder than the M plate.

Maybe the H or EH plate do the trick.
Or a Henson extra aggressive or the Tile.

In the end it's trial and error with educated guesses. 🤷

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Saturday, OCtober 22nd 2022

Razor : Yaqi Tile 316 SS, Brass Nickel coated handle, Mfg 2021> mild range to very tame mid range, well built and designed, new blade or Kai SS extra wide blade works well in this razor. Had a enjoyable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS (7) extra wide 9/1000", sharp & smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice refreshing lavender scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Viper" boar bristle 24mm knot, excellent lather generator, soft split end tips, great splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=
[IMG]
Great shave with my Yaqi Tile SS head razor with a Kai SS blade.
[IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Another first timer here. My Yaqi Tile head turned up in the mail yesterday, and today is shaving day (in my 2 day cycle).

First time with a (serious) razor other than the RazoRock GameChanger (mostly with the 0.84-P plate).

Yaqi Tile head
Full Knurl RazoRock handle
New Personna Comfort Coated (made in USA) blade

The result was excellent, particularly taking into account it was my first time with it.

Overall it is certainly a different feel to the GC, in particular noticeably smoother. Around the chin and mouth were less different for smoothness, but it still has a different feel to the GC and required some extra care and adaption of technique for that area. Clearly some more learning to go there.

No obvious burn or irritation. A single small nick, just a below the lower lip, that can be chalked up to getting used to a different razor geometry.

One clear advantage over the GC was the result on the sides of the Adam's apple. Still not BBS, but better than I have been getting with the GC. Given I have had a year's practice with the GC, and this is my first time with the Tile, that is no small difference.

The Yaqi head and RR Full Knurl handle are also a nice combo for me.

Just one complaint, not about the result, but the manufacture finish. The edge of the cap plate that contacts the blade had a small and uneven burr along it which was easy enough to remove with a few light careful passes on my 600 grit diamond lap stone. Don't know if it made any difference to performance as I removed it before trying the head, but given that edge is a critical one in razor geometry then that burr just shouldn't be there in the first place.

Otherwise very happy with it, especially as I got it on sale for $27 (inc. delivery). Definitely a keeper. 🙂

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thursday, November 14th 2023

Razor : Yaqi tile razor with a Yaqi nickel coated brass handle-Mfg 2021>, mild to very tame mid range. Well designed and made of 316SS, machining and finish are adequate for my shaving needs. Very similar to the Henson design & many similar vintage models prior IMO. One of the best bang for my dollars for a SS razor or affordable. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS (8) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. A very good blade for mild razor and will always have a tuck or 2 around my shave den.
Soap : Tabac, legend of the soaps with nice mild flowery clean scent with excellent lather qualities. It softens the whiskers IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Viper" 24mm boar brush. Excellent lather generator, soft split end bristle tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Very nice boar brush!
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Witch hazel soap residual on beard, Nivea refreshing splash + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Tile 316 razor with a Kai SS extra wide blade. Very enjoyable shave this morning!
SOTD November 14 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I picked up EasyDoesIt’s Tile with RR Bulldog handle. Loaded with a Russian Swede it gave a fabulous shave on the first go. It is indeed a Big Bertha. All hips and *** but a great shave indeed.

Pics here:

Top Bottom