• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, January 26th 2023

Razor : Yaqi "Beast 2" this is a Yaqi Flipside base plate with a Yaqi melon head- created in 2022 by myself (upper mid range), the melon head is thicker with possibly less curvature in the head giving more gap from the normal Flipside gap of 21/1000 or .021inches to 41/1000 or .041 inches giving slightly more blade feel or exposure. The flipside by its self is a fine mid range + open comb side is the milder side on this dual head and the Yaqi beast just bumps it up to a upper mid range I'm experiencing. Very nice close shave with a excellent blade.
Blade : Gillette Perma-sharp(3) sharp & smooth with good longevity so far, very impressive blade for a new trial blade.(Curious)
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier, nice musk scent with excellent lather qualities (Aramis scent?), this soap was commissioned by Yaqi to be created by Master soap creations S.A. This soap scent is addictive and always look forward to using it + excellent lather IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "barber pole" 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Excellent handle for large hands + knot is one of the best for performance.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Witch hazel soap residual cleanse + Yaqi Musketeer rapier AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent stellar shave with my Yaqi Beast 2 razor with a Perma-sharp blade. Great razor to try if you have these razor heads for a combo.
SOTD Jan 26 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
DE SOTD, January 26th 2023

Razor : Yaqi "Beast 2" this is a Yaqi Flipside base plate with a Yaqi melon head- created in 2022 by myself (upper mid range), the melon head is thicker with possibly less curvature in the head giving more gap from the normal Flipside gap of 21/1000 or .021inches to 41/1000 or .041 inches giving slightly more blade feel or exposure. The flipside by its self is a fine mid range + open comb side is the milder side on this dual head and the Yaqi beast just bumps it up to a upper mid range I'm experiencing. Very nice close shave with a excellent blade.
Blade : Gillette Perma-sharp(3) sharp & smooth with good longevity so far, very impressive blade for a new trial blade.(Curious)
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer Rapier, nice musk scent with excellent lather qualities (Aramis scent?), this soap was commissioned by Yaqi to be created by Master soap creations S.A. This soap scent is addictive and always look forward to using it + excellent lather IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "barber pole" 24mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter. Excellent handle for large hands + knot is one of the best for performance.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Witch hazel soap residual cleanse + Yaqi Musketeer rapier AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent stellar shave with my Yaqi Beast 2 razor with a Perma-sharp blade. Great razor to try if you have these razor heads for a combo.
SOTD Jan 26 2023 .jpg

Have some great shaves!
@Ron R I thought I should let you know. I got a Yaqi The Final Cut for Christmas and it shave wonderfully. It is much much less aggressive that the Beast and the YTAS, but almost identical in terms of efficiency. Thought I should tell you!

Ron R

@Ron R I thought I should let you know. I got a Yaqi The Final Cut for Christmas and it shave wonderfully. It is much much less aggressive that the Beast and the YTAS, but almost identical in terms of efficiency. Thought I should tell you!
Excellent choice, I have one also. I have been eyeing over a Yaqi new Stainless steel slant head, it has a interesting design that I have never seen before( I'm sure someone will say they stole the idea:001_tongu), it still has a slight blade twist but they designed the safety bar in such a way not to have a large curvature in the head, so what you get is the blade twist with a reasonble even gap of .95 mm it looks like. Like I need another shinny object but the price is not outlandish either. Waiting for reviews to trickle in before or if I purchase it.

Last edited:

Ron R

DE SOTD, Saturday, May 6th 2023

Razor : Yaqi Top aggressive slant razor, Mfg 2019>, aggressive range, excellent slant when I use a steep angle(ridding the bar) with a short handle seems to work well for myself. I enjoy the shave it offers and it also tells me if my technique is good order. I try not to plunk the razor at the start of a stroke because it will bite usually. Todays shave was mostly uneventful with stellar results.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(2) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood, nice Bayrum with a bit of sweetness of sandalwood scents + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "orbital ring" boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end boar bristles, great splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic) Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : witch hazel beard soap residual cleanse & Ogallala Bayrum & sandalwood aftershave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2) 1 10.545.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17: Excellent stellar shave with my Yaqi Top aggressive slant with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD May 6 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Tuesday, July 11th 2023

Razor : Yaqi Beast #2, Created 2022>, upper mid range, the razor consists of Yaqi Mellon V1 top cap + Yaqi dual Flipside base plate and any handle you enjoy, shorter handle is preferred. The shave is excellent with the comb side being milder is great around the chin area. The razor is not overly aggressive and riding the bar(steep angle) is what I enjoy with this razor. This is a great razor because it is sort of adjustable with all the variations it offers if you have these 2 affordable razor heads only IMO. The audio feedback is a nice sizzling sound when shaving that I really enjoy knowing it is going to be a close shave also. Had a stellar shave this mornings with no major issues.
Blade : Gillette Astra SP (4) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier for a lot of folks and affordable if bought in 100 pcs IMO.
Soap : La toja stick- interesting very light smoke scent with excellent lather qualities. Scent is interesting and not over the top.
Brush : Yaqi "Ferrari" 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end tips, nice splay scrubber, great lather painter. This handle with the bleached bristles make this brush one of better performers, it was bought as a damaged bush with knot issues but still on of the better performers months later, go figure.
Post shave : Razorock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2) 1 10.545 1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent stellar very close shave this morning with a Astra SP coated blade. (very close shaving and even more enjoyable than a regular routine shave sometimes, nice change up. Cotton ball tested this morning with no snags.)
SOTD July 11 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Slantember, Friday, Sept 1st 2023

Razor : Yaqi "Top aggressive slant"- Mfg 2019>, upper mid to aggressive range or lots of blade feel. I always like to use this razor to test my hand technique, I like to use a steep angle(riding the bar) with a short handle seems to work the best with this slant.
I also try not to plunk it down at the start of a stroke(it will bite if careless), the razor is not perfect but it's a excellent razor once it is mastered. Fresh blade with a shim underneath and it will sing & deliver some stellar excellent shaving. Has a close shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Gillette 7oclock Permasharp(4 tossed) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity. Borderline tossing it out this morning while shaving.
Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities. One of my favorite soaps for quality lather.
Brush : Yaqi" Ferrari " Boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles, great splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)4 template 9.2.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent close shave with my Yaqi Top aggressive slant with a Gillette Permasharp.
Brush collage Septembert1 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Slantember, Friday, Sept 1st 2023

Razor : Yaqi "Top aggressive slant"- Mfg 2019>, upper mid to aggressive range or lots of blade feel. I always like to use this razor to test my hand technique, I like to use a steep angle(riding the bar) with a short handle seems to work the best with this slant.
I also try not to plunk it down at the start of a stroke(it will bite if careless), the razor is not perfect but it's a excellent razor once it is mastered. Fresh blade with a shim underneath and it will sing & deliver some stellar excellent shaving. Has a close shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Gillette 7oclock Permasharp(4 tossed) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity. Borderline tossing it out this morning while shaving.
Soap : Speick stick, nice mild spicy scent with excellent lather qualities. One of my favorite soaps for quality lather.
Brush : Yaqi" Ferrari " Boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles, great splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : View attachment 1710991 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent close shave with my Yaqi Top aggressive slant with a Gillette Permasharp.
View attachment 1710990
Have some great shaves!
I love that you are still loving this razor, and I love these reviews that you do!

Ron R

SLANTemper, Saturday, Sept23rd, 2023.

Razor : Yaqi top aggressive slant, torsional type(AKA=YTAS). Mfg 2019>, upper mid to aggressive range. Interesting design of a slant razor. Lots of blade feel and a joy to use once mastered. I tend to use a steep approach (riding the bar) with a short handle for less leverage and more corrective angles more quicker . I do not plunk this razor at the start of a stroke because it's going to bite almost guaranteed, the results are stellar and whiskers do not stand a chance. It is not a Newbie razor and should only be used by experienced folks with a mature hand technique IMO. I do enjoy using this slant with blade shim underneath the primary blade to reduce any chatter + audio feedback is great to listen to while shaving. Had a stellar comfortable close shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Gillette Astra SP (2) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity. (Saint Petersburg steel is excellent)
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea", very nice unique scent that is addictive or very enjoyable + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Cavern lake" 24mm tuxedo synthetic knot, excellent lather generator,
Post shave : Razorock The Dead Sea splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :1-10 dial - Copy (2)1 10.52.1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave with no issues this morning with my Yaqi Top aggressive slant with a Astra SP blade. (It does not any get a better a shave for myself with out peeling skin off.)
SOTD September 23 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, January 4th 2023

Razor :Yaqi top aggressive slant, torsional type(AKA=YTAS). Mfg 2019>, upper mid to aggressive range. Interesting design of a slant razor. Lots of blade feel and a joy to use once mastered. I tend to use a steep approach (riding the bar) with a short handle for less leverage and more corrective angles more quicker . I do not plunk this razor at the start of a stroke because it's going to bite almost guaranteed, the results are stellar and whiskers do not stand a chance. It is not a Newbie razor and should only be used by experienced folks with a mature hand technique IMO. I do enjoy using this slant with blade shim underneath the primary blade to reduce any chatter + audio feedback is great to listen to while shaving. Had a stellar comfortable close shave this morning with no issues. Had a stellar close shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette Perma-sharp (3) sharp and smoooth with reasonable longevity. A Top tier blade in my den!
Soap : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore, nice vanilla with light Tabaco scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Moka Express" 26 mm Timber wolf knot:001_wub:. Excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. A brush they must of made for market testing with a small batch(odd size & knot for this handle!)
Post shave : Razorock M.F with witch hazel (I like this scent with this soap) + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi (YTAS) with a Perma-sharp blade. (It does not get much better a shave for myself)
SOTD Januray 4 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Saturday, February 17th 2024.

Razor :Yaqi top aggressive slant, torsional type(AKA=YTAS). Mfg 2019>, upper mid to aggressive range. Interesting design of a slant razor. Lots of blade feel and a joy to use once mastered. I tend to use a steep approach (riding the bar) with a short handle for less leverage and more response for corrective angles more quicker(chin area) . I do not plunk this razor at the start of a stroke because it's going to bite almost guaranteed, the results are stellar and whiskers do not stand a chance. It is not a Newbie razor and should only be used by experienced folks with a mature hand technique IMO. I do enjoy using this slant with blade shim underneath the primary blade to reduce any chatter + audio feedback is great to listen to while shaving. Had a stellar comfortable close shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Gillette Permasharp(1) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Yaqi Musketeer rapier, This soap has interesting scent(Aramis original cologne) and is kind of addicting for scent lovers + excellent lather qualities. Yaqi commissioned Master soap creations S.A to bring forward their line of soaps and fragrances.
Brush : Yaqi "Moka Express" 26 mm synthetic. Excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter. This is a rare brush Yaqi sold a small # basis testing various handle combinations to knots and sold as a defect (lucky me). Large handle with excellent knot IMO.
Post shave : Yaqi Musketeer rapier + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.2 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a stellar close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi slant with a fresh Permasharp blade. It does not get much better a shave for closeness for myself.
SOTD Febuaruy 17 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, April 25th 2024

I also try not to plunk it down at the start of a stroke(it will bite if careless), the razor is not perfect but it's a excellent razor once it is mastered. Fresh blade with a shim underneath and it will sing & deliver some stellar excellent shaving. Had a close shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Gillette Perma-sharp (3) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap :TOBS Sandalwood cream, rich herbal sandalwood scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Coat tails" 24 mm synthetic, Excellent lather generator, pillow cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. For a Synthetic it feels close to a 2band badger IMO.
Post shave : Proraso red sandalwood with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi TGA slant razor with a Gillette Perma-sharp blade.
SOTD April 25 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom