Who have tried the Yaki Beast, variant 1

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was reading some information on the Yaqi Beast razor on one of B&B threads and have recently bought some Yaqi heads and Flipside razor mostly for the handle and have never experienced a dual razor before. I have all the parts also to make the Beast, Variant #1 also from over the years of shaving.
It is a nice razor for my Sunday Shave and thought a change up was needed and being the curious type assembled this Yaqi Beast 2 together, I have never seen this variant either and maybe a person's technique has matured enough to take on more blade feel, nothing over the top for blade exposure IMO. Gillette Fatboy or Slim on setting 9 is similar for blade exposure or blade feel IMO!
The Flipside head has a scalloped side(mid range) and a open comb side(Mild to tame mid range3-4/10) and I bought another Mellon (Gold) head also on one of their sales and thought why not make a different variant after reading about the Beast.
The Flipside razor design is similar to the Edwin Jagger DE89 base plate but with a closed comb on the opposite side for a safety bar. This style of razor has a lot of blade reveal on the bottom blade side so I put a blade shim underneath(needed?) to make it more rigid and choose a steep angle approach(riding the bar) thinking it would be better for this shave slightly more blade feel.
So with these 2 heads and a handle(5mmX.8mm thread) you will get 5 different blade exposures(blade feel) ranging from mild>aggressive.
Advantages
-Different variations of blade feel mild to aggressive depending on choice of head configuration.
- blade tab protection that Beast variant did not offer with its configuration.
-5 different combinations of blade exposures with these 2 heads & any handle.
-Fairly inexpensive if bought on sale.
-Steep angle shaving for some who enjoy this method I recommend works well.
-the comb side of the Yaqi Beast 2 works well on the chin and upper lip area and parts of the neck.
-Very close comfortable shave, dolphin skin smooth BBS.
-on the fly adjustable basically!
Disadvantages
-Not maybe for folks with sensitive skin! ?
-Some mature technique skill when using the Beast 2 configuration.

Yaqi Mellon head(mild range 3/10)......+..Yaqi Flipside head(Mild 3-4 and mid range 5/10).=Yaqi Beast 2 variant 6-8/10 range!
Yaqi Beast #2 Yaqi Mellon head.jpg
Yaqi Beast #2 Yaqi Flipside.jpg
Yaqi Beast #2- the new real McKoy.jpg

Blade gap approximately in 1/1000 of a inch is my best estimation(click to enlarge)
Yaqi beast 2 scalloped side on yaqi flipside base plate..jpg
Yaqi Beast 2 open comb side of the Yaqu flipside base plate..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Sunday April 3rd 2022, A different kind of shave this morning with a Yaqi Beast 2 variant. Good change up for a Sunday and was putting some of my Yaqi razors to a different use in experimenting.

Razor : Yaqi Beast 2 variant- Mfg 2022, Mellon head top cap with a Flipside base plate, lots of blade feel, nice smooth shave. Nothing over the top for blade exposure or feel. Feels like Gillette Fatboy on setting 9 for blade feel. Excellent shave this morning on 24 hr growth.
Blade :Gillette 7oClock SP, black(2) excellent blade, sharp & smoooth with reasonable
Soap :Razorock Lavender- great lavender scent with excellent lather qualities.(discontinued)
Brush :Yaqi 24mm timber wolf mysterious space handle- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock King Louis AS with aftershave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave with my Yaqi Beast 2 variant with a 7oClock SP.
SOTD April 3 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, April 8th 2022

Razor : Yaqi Beast 2 variant- assembled 2022> excellent upper mid range, good blade feel, inexpensive and works well, not the most beauteous razor to look at but will out perform a lot of razors + great sizzling audio feed back is awesome. One side is tamer than the other because of the Yaqi flipside(dual) base plate having 2 different configurations on the safety bar. Excellent shave today!
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(4) excellent blade, sharp & smoooth.
Soap :Tabac, light flowery scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush :Yaqi 24mm boar bristle, excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles, nice scrubber + excellent painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Razorock American barber with aftershave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless)
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Beast 2 with a 7oClock black.
SOTD April 8 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I just got these Yaqi aggressive razor heads I bought on sale 3 weeks ago on sale cheap recently and thought I would show why some folks like them. They are aggressive and took a quick photo using my USB microscope to see why a few folks like them.
Some fellows sure like blade feel is what I'm seeing. I will be using the Yaqi slant soon and will give a summary of 1st shave.
Yaqi Aggressive razor heads..jpg

Yaqi slant razor, below photo!
Yaqi slant head.jpg

Yaqi Nights helmet, below photo.
Yaqi Knights helmet razor head..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Tuesday, May10 2022

Razor : Yaqi slant, Mfg 2019> This razor has that jaws look and looks a aggressive and it is, a seasoned technique and with a steep angle and short handle I like to use when riding the bar when using this shaving angle method .
The razor likes a gentle touch with good placement and it just works wonderfully IMO. This razor is for those fellows who enjoy blade feel and it will not disappoint. The 1st shave with it was fairly smooth with no issues at all. Good challenge for myself, I placed a shim underneath also to support blade better for any chatter and I guess it adds a little more aggression in theory. Not a daily driver for most folks IMO. Newbies might to avoid using this razor until their technique has matured IMO.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(2) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock Lavender, nice scent with excellent lather qualities. (discontinued :blue:)
Brush : Yaqi 22 mm 2 band badger Sagrada Familia, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, nice scrub, excellent lather painter. This little brush is just a joy to use and not a lather hog at all + one of my favorites.
Post shave :Alum test showed minor stinging + Razorock King Louis lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17: Excellent shave with my 1st use Yaqi Slant with a Gillette 7oClock SP. You can not get a closer shave using this razor blade combination even with a shavette with a naked blade possibly IMO.
SOTD May 10,1 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, May 12, 2022

Razor : Yaqi Knights helmet- Mfg 2019> aggressive range, Very interesting razor, There is lots of blade exposure yet it I did not really feel threatened by this. The razor was designed with a smaller user window angle so when riding the bar shaving(steep angle) you can easily regulate the blade feel how much a person wants IMO. I had no problems using it without issue, must be getting conditioned on using aggressive razors with my modified technique. I also used a short handle (2 3/4 inches) that helps in riding the bar technique because it reduces leverage and easier around the bottom of the neck collar bone area and also chin contours IMO. It still commands a light touch when shaving and that is what I use with good success + for a daily driver it would be enjoyed by folks who know how to use blade feel and will enjoy using it IMO. Newbies might want to use this razor when their technique has matured some to enjoy it more!
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(3) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream- nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities. Makes great ubber lather(mixed with remnants of another soap)
Brush : Yaqi Ferrari 24 mm boar bristle- excellent lather generator, soft split end bristles, great scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Razorock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Knights helmet with a 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD May 13 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, May 17th, 2022- Still testing some aggressive razor heads I bought recently.

Razor : Yaqi Knights helmet- Mfg 2019> aggressive range, I use a ridding the bar method to try and control the blade feel and it works, I keep trying not to forget coming in hot with the razor(plunking on skin) because it will nick you for sure. The razor works well for those folks who like a lot of blade feel, you will not be disappointed IMO. Light pressure works very well & I like a short handle 2 3/4inche long.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(1) sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice unique scent with excellent lather qualities. Make great ubber lather.
Brush : Yaqi Tailcoat 24mm synthetic, excellent lather creator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Proraso Green with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 2 weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi Knights helmet with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD May 17 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, May 18th 2022. Still testing some aggressive razor heads (3) I recently purchased on sale.

Razor : Yaqi slant, Mfg 2019> aggressive range, lots of blade feel, if a person uses a steep or riding the bar approach you can receive some nice shaves. I would recommend using the slant if your technique is matured. Light touch with a short handle (2 3/4 inches)is what like to use. I also used a blade shim under the main blade to reduce any blade chatter and to give main blade rigidity. That is what some fellows also did to shave with this razor. This is about as close to using a shavette as it gets and slightly safer.
When I first started shaving years ago and seen this razor for the first time introduced by Yaqi I was a bit intimidated but years later it can be tamed to work for a person very well IMO. It can even be used as a daily driver for a few folks also who have mastered this interesting slant razor IMO.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP, sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities. I rarely get weepers using Lavender soaps and that is one of the reasons I really enjoy Lavender, it is known for making folks relax is my understanding!
Brush : Yaqi 24mm High mountain silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, nice scrubber + excellent painter.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi slant and a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD May 18 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
DE SOTD, May 18th 2022. Still testing some aggressive razor heads (3) I recently purchased on sale.

Razor : Yaqi slant, Mfg 2019> aggressive range, lots of blade feel, if a person uses a steep or riding the bar approach you can receive some nice shaves. I would recommend using the slant if your technique is matured. Light touch with a short handle (2 3/4 inches)is what like to use. I also used a blade shim under the main blade to reduce any blade chatter and to give main blade rigidity. That is what some fellows also did to shave with this razor. This is about as close to using a shavette as it gets and slightly safer.
When I first started shaving years ago and seen this razor for the first time introduced by Yaqi I was a bit intimidated but years later it can be tamed to work for a person very well IMO. It can even be used as a daily driver for a few folks also who have mastered this interesting slant razor IMO.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP, sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Ach Brito Lavanda cream, nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities. I rarely get weepers using Lavender soaps and that is one of the reasons I really enjoy Lavender, it is known for making folks relax is my understanding!
Brush : Yaqi 24mm High mountain silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, soft pillow like tips, nice scrubber + excellent painter.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi slant and a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD May 18 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!
Wonderful review.

I love AB Lavanda. Just a stellar cream all around.

If you like the YTAS you should get the Green Cult razor, or so I hear at least!

Ron R

Wonderful review.

I love AB Lavanda. Just a stellar cream all around.

If you like the YTAS you should get the Green Cult razor, or so I hear at least!
Oh the Green cult razor would have to be on for good deal because I have way to many razors now in every conceivable design almost know to mankind. I bought the Yaqi heads for less than a McDonalds meal deal on sale and that is enough for awhile. Thanks anyways for thought and I have heard the Green cult razor is well made and comes from Germany I understand.
I have one more shave with Yaqi Beast 2 to kind of see how I will rate the razors.
The Ach Brito Lavanda shave cream & Lavanda aftershave are one of my favorites also.

Reactions: Kix

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, May 19 2022. Final test shave with Aggressive razors for a while.

Razor : Yaqi Beast 2 - upper Mid aggression range- Combination of 2 different Yaqi razor heads(melon head top cap, flipside base plate) this combination makes for a very nice shave with very manageable blade feel with a steep approach(riding the bar), safety bar side is aggressive side and the open comb side is tamer for working the chin and other sensitive areas. Instant adjustable with a 180 degree flip. I like this combination for a very close shave using a short hand (2 3/4 inches). It will give most razors a run for quality shave results any day with the right technique & from my limited experiences using aggressive razors over the years. This razor is for fellows who enjoy some blade feel IMO and shaves most of the time giving a excellent shave issue free results.

Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(3) sharp & Smoooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap :Ach Brito Lavanda cream- very nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi 24mm dandelion synthetic- excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice gentle scrub + excellent painter.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave(24hrs growth) with my Yaqi beast 2 with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.(one of closest smoothest shaves I can expect.)
SOTD May 19 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Reactions: Kix

Ron R

Final conclusion of some testing of these Aggressive razors that I have experienced, I enjoy some blade feel but these razors are the next level of blade feel or blade exposure.

Yaqi Beast#2: of the 3 razors this one gets the same results but is easier to control blade feel using a Steep angle(riding the bar). Use a short handle if you have one because it reduces leverage, weight and easier to shave with a steep angle approach IMO.

Yaqi Slant: This razor will work well with a steep angle approach(riding the bar) try not to bring the razor in hot(plunking on skin) because there is lots of blade feel or blade exposure. I found this razor reasonably smooth once you dial it in just use a light touch works. Also use a short handle if you have one helps IMO.

Yaqi Knight-helmet: This razor has the most blade feel or blade exposure of the 3 and is designed with a small sweet angle window, for sure I used a steep angle ( ride the bar) seemed to work well with a short handle for better control over this razor. It will bite if you come in hot but with good technique it performed well for myself. It is not quite as smooth as the other two razors IMO but worked fine.

Of the three razors I enjoyed I like the Beast#2 because it offers quick change of aggression if needed and is a little more forgiving is my conclusion.
Yaqi1 aggressive razor chart..jpg

Have some great shaves!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Final conclusion of some testing of these Aggressive razors that I have experienced, I enjoy some blade feel but these razors are the next level of blade feel or blade exposure.

Yaqi Beast#2: of the 3 razors this one gets the same results but is easier to control blade feel using a Steep angle(riding the bar). Use a short handle if you have one because it reduces leverage, weight and easier to shave with a steep angle approach IMO.

Yaqi Slant: This razor will work well with a steep angle approach(riding the bar) try not to bring the razor in hot(plunking on skin) because there is lots of blade feel or blade exposure. I found this razor reasonably smooth once you dial it in just use a light touch works. Also use a short handle if you have one helps IMO.

Yaqi Knight-helmet: This razor has the most blade feel or blade exposure of the 3 and is designed with a small sweet angle window, for sure I used a steep angle ( ride the bar) seemed to work well with a short handle for better control over this razor. It will bite if you come in hot but with good technique it performed well for myself. It is not quite as smooth as the other two razors IMO but worked fine.

Of the three razors I enjoyed I like the Beast#2 because it offers quick change of aggression if needed and is a little more forgiving is my conclusion.
View attachment 1458487
Have some great shaves!
Exceptional reviews, Ron! Really stellar. This comparison means that I will have to dust off my beast to redo my initial thoughts.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
@Ron R I got out my Beast and finally gave it a whirl this morning. Seriously impressive.

I last used it long ago when I first got the YTAS. YYAS shaved closer, so I relegated the Beast to the back of my bin after 1 or 2 tries.

Well, now that I have perfected my technique with the YTAS, the beast is much easier. Not as blade forward, 95% as efficient. Much more comfortable, I could easily shave with this every day.

Ron R

@Ron R I got out my Beast and finally gave it a whirl this morning. Seriously impressive.

I last used it long ago when I first got the YTAS. YYAS shaved closer, so I relegated the Beast to the back of my bin after 1 or 2 tries.

Well, now that I have perfected my technique with the YTAS, the beast is much easier. Not as blade forward, 95% as efficient. Much more comfortable, I could easily shave with this every day.
If you get the chance to find a flipside base plate on sale that is great also because you get the beast on one side with the mild comb side to work the chin area and other sensitive areas of the face.

Last edited:
Top Bottom