What's new

Xikar V-cut cutter, disappointed with it.

I bought a Xikar V-cut cutter recently and I find that it doesn't always cut a nice deep notch in the tip. I have to do it twice to get it right. I'm cutting a 60 band cigar, a NUB. I'm thinking it may not work as well on large band cigars.
Sometimes it cuts good and sometimes it doesn't. Has anyone used this cutter on a 60 band cigar?

Personally no. I have both Xikar dual guillotine cutters and Xikar folding scissors though, and they both work great on Nubs.

Perhaps you should avail yourself of the Xikar warranty. Either send it in them or return it to a local retailer for replacement. When mailing it in they don't ask for Proof of Purchase, they just verify that it isn't counterfeit, and just replace or repair it.

In general, how do you like the V-cutter on 50 ring or smaller cigars?

I haven't used it on a smaller cigar yet. Sometimes it does work very nicely. I don't know why other times it doesn't cut deep enough.
I think it would probably work very well on smaller than 60 ring cigars.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Mine cuts Nubs well. I find I need to press (force!) the cigar into the cutter mouth as you clip it. If you merely rest it on as you cut it won't work well regardless of ring size.

I especially like an x cut on the end.

60RG cigars can be a challenge for many cutters, but if you are getting good results some times and poor results in others, it may just be a small adjustment on your part to get a good cut. I haven't smoked a ton of Nubs, but I have seen some that seem to maybe be a bit more squared off on the cap than others. That could be a factor if it holds true to what you have on hand.

Top Bottom