What's new

Wow! Those English Aristocrats!

Was watching one that was mis-identified on the "world's largest auction site" a bit ago, hoping it would go under the radar, but it's just started to jump upwards in price. Hope a B&B member has a good snipe set on it - it looks to be in good condition!

I found this on Ebay tonight and wanted to verify the accuracy...

"MANY USERS AND COLLECTORS MIGHT NOT BE AWARE THAT THESE RAZORS WERE OFFERED IN TWO VERSIONS- HEAVY AND LIGHT WEIGHT. THEY LOOK QUITE IDENTICAL AND WERE SOLD IN VERY SIMILAR CASES. THIS IS A LIGHT-WEIGHT MODEL (35.0 GRAMS, SEE MY OTHER AUCTION FOR THE "HEAVY" COUNTERPART) , MOSTLY ALUMINUM-MADE AND PLATED AT THE CAP, MOST LIKELY WITH SILVER. THE TTO MECHANISM IS NOT AS WELL-CRAFTED AS IS THE CASE WITH THE HEAVY MODEL"

"THE HEAVY-WEIGHT MODEL (70.0 GRAMS, SEE MY OTHER AUCTION FOR THE "LIGHT" COUNTERPART) , ALL METAL MODEL"

Ia this true? And are the barberpole versions the same way?

"MANY USERS AND COLLECTORS MIGHT NOT BE AWARE THAT THESE RAZORS WERE OFFERED IN TWO VERSIONS- HEAVY AND LIGHT WEIGHT. THEY LOOK QUITE IDENTICAL AND WERE SOLD IN VERY SIMILAR CASES. THIS IS A LIGHT-WEIGHT MODEL (35.0 GRAMS, SEE MY OTHER AUCTION FOR THE "HEAVY" COUNTERPART) , MOSTLY ALUMINUM-MADE AND PLATED AT THE CAP, MOST LIKELY WITH SILVER. THE TTO MECHANISM IS NOT AS WELL-CRAFTED AS IS THE CASE WITH THE HEAVY MODEL"

"THE HEAVY-WEIGHT MODEL (70.0 GRAMS, SEE MY OTHER AUCTION FOR THE "LIGHT" COUNTERPART) , ALL METAL MODEL"

I would be cautious, considering that the pictures between his "heavy weight" and his "light weight" are identical, AFAICS. But I am no razor expert, either. The Aristocrat #66 he is offering appears to be authentic.

Which auction is this? Got a link?

I know that the #58 was produced in both regular (heavy) and lightweight versions. I'm not aware of the #66 being produced in both types. Link?

Well, just when I think I know everything I learn the Aristocrats come in light and heavy versions. I'm guessing that the "light" versions are rarer, but not as desirable because of the inferior build quality.

Here are the links:

Heavy 58

Light 58

Light 66

Usually I have a policy against posting links to auctions that haven't ended, but the big spenders all over these already so there isn't any chance of them going cheap anyways.

so the silver barberpole 66 is a light weight?

Is there a heavy weight version of the silver 66 aka the "Barberpole"?

Man, this really bums me out because I just won a barberpole last week and have not recieved it yet.

How can you tell the difference?

Is there a way to detect which is which if it is not explicitely stated in an auction?

What about the gold version?

Is this discussion about the "slim" version that I saw mentioned over at SMF?

I'm confused and scared! :scared: :scared: :crying: :sad: :frown:

Well, just when I think I know everything I learn the Aristocrats come in light and heavy versions. I'm guessing that the "light" versions are rarer, but not as desirable because of the inferior build quality.

Here are the links:

Heavy 58

Light 58

Light 66

Usually I have a policy against posting links to auctions that haven't ended, but the big spenders all over these already so there isn't any chance of them going cheap anyways.

Personally, I think this is bogus unless I could validate it from the Krumholz book or some other expert on Gillette razors. This sounds like an RA auction!!!

so the silver barberpole 66 is a light weight?

Is there a heavy weight version of the silver 66 aka the "Barberpole"?

Is there a way to detect which is which if it is not explicitely stated in an auction?

What about the gold version?

As I said, I was aware of heavy and lightweight versions of the #58 (I have a heavy one), but a lightweight #66 is news to me. I own a couple of 66's (one in gold), and they are certainly not lightweight razors.

As far as telling them apart, you would know instantly when you picked one up. But the only way to know one is lightweight on ebay would be if the seller said so. I don't believe there is any visible difference that you would be able to spot on an ebay photograph.

I foresee many a confused e-seller from now on. It's bad enough we hassle them about obscure markings on the underside of the heads, or notches in bars, but now we're going to ask them to weigh the razors! :eek:

Personally, I think this is bogus unless I could validate it from the Krumholz book or some other expert on Gillette razors. This sounds like an RA auction!!!
I won't be so sure. Krumhold's book is good but still I wouldn't dismiss a razor only because the book doesn't cover it.
Aditionally the seller has an excellent reputation and he has sold some very rare razors (e.g.. TV 54).
Regards,
Alfred

I won't be so sure. Krumhold's book is good but still I wouldn't dismiss a razor only because the book doesn't cover it.
Aditionally the seller has an excellent reputation and he has sold some very rare razors (e.g.. TV 54).
Regards,
Alfred

+1 Well said Alfred

That wasn't a diss against the seller. It's just that all of a sudden somebody who sells high end razors comes up with a model that nobody has ever seen or heard of before. I'm just suspicious by nature.

We have to remember that the Krumholz book doesn't cover English Razors very extensively either. Since Dan has vouched for the existence of a "light" version of the #58 I don't see it too far out of the realm of possibility that a "light" #66 could exist.

We could all hope that a board member wins the razor, then we could know for sure.

We have to remember that the Krumholz book doesn't cover English Razors very extensively either. Since Dan has vouched for the existence of a "light" version of the #58 I don't see it too far out of the realm of possibility that a "light" #66 could exist.

We could all hope that a board member wins the razor, then we could know for sure.

I learned of the "light" #58 from John (yasou) who had personal knowledge of them. I don't actually own one myself. While I haven't heard of the "light" #66, I have no reason to doubt this ebay seller when he says that he has one.

It is also correct that not everything is included in the Krumholz book. I have a "mini" Gillette TTO that I have never seen any mention of in the book. It is about 2.5" long, and looks just like a shortened version of the Milord. The gold plating seems better though, because it has none of that reddish tinge that so many Milords seem to have. I would love to know a little more about the razor--the official name, the type of box or case that it came it, etc. It is apparently a 1947 razor since it doesn't have a notched center bar.

If anyone has any of the answers that I am looking for, please let me know.

It is the razor on the left in the photo below.

proxy.php

That seller is one of the largest collectors I have seen. High end and rare razors and sets. I have spoken with him by email a few times and his information has always been right on. In other words if he says it, I would believe it.

I have also used Auction Sniper without any problems. I am almost sure it does not violate either the spirit of Ebay rules or the actual rules themselves. As you can see from the conversation on this thread, the ability to find the needle in a haystack on Ebay (the one thing you have been looking for since you were 10, so to speak) can inspire powerful emotion. When someone who REALLY wants something sees the price being bid up, they seem to have an automatic response to participate in the bidding war. So if you really want something, and put in a really high max bid on Ebay, the other person will try incrementally to figure out what your max is, bidding 5 or 10 bucks more at each throw. This creates a lot of attention to the item, and ofter others take a closer look at the item, and now it is no longer "beneath the radar", and you are competing with a bunch of people with mixed interests in the item. If one of them has the time to sit there at the end of the auction and hit enter a little faster than you, you are not going to get the item.

Not that I am so experienced on Ebay, but I strongly feel that if you really want the item the ONLY way to have a high degree of success in getting it is to either use sniping software or sit there at the end of the auction. Just putting in a high bid and hoping you win almost always fails as a strategy these days for the reasons described above.

I have bought a number of Razors on Ebay, and I think the most economical and interesting way to do it is to buy lots. You can get a razor you never tried before, fill out a collection, give yourself more options, and if you get a dupe you can just flip it.

Regarding the safety of Auction Sniper sites, in general I have heard of and been directly impacted by some identity theft associated with Ebay. Since not everyone knows the rules about mailing merchandise only to the on-file address, and since people use Ebay in streaks-- ignoring it when they are not searching for an item, it is possible for someone to steal your account and use it to buy something, redirecting the shipment. As the prior poster said, it is very important to use a different pw for Paypal. If you register as a seller you need to be even more vigilant. You are trusting the personnel at Auction Sniper to not expose your information just like you are trusting Ebay.

I guess the right thing to do would be for Ebay to set an expiring password every 30 to 90 days, like most major corporations, or use another token (such as an RSA token card) and require you to put in the number when you log on.

Vin

Top Bottom