What's new

Wow, it appears I like the music that I hate.

Actually, big band music was the impetus for the jazz movement that emerged in the 50's and 60's, including be-bop, cool jazz, west coast jazz, etc. A lot of the sidemen of the big bands went on to go into various forms of jazz because they wanted to break free of the strictures of the big band, which was really an ensemble. A lot of the great players came out of the Duke Ellington Band, Count Basie's and Woody Herman's big bands The big bands in effect became incubators for the great jazz explosion of the 50's and 60's which is what became symbolic of what constitutes jazz music. However, as noted above, jazz is a term that encompasses many forms of musical expression. I am an aficionado of many versions of this great American art form. I really like big band a lot. All of those horns really make the music kick.

I agree. There's nothing like a big band. I am in deep love with the Bill Holman band and the Charles Mingus Big Band.

Actually, big band music was the impetus for the jazz movement that emerged in the 50's and 60's, including be-bop, cool jazz, west coast jazz, etc. A lot of the sidemen of the big bands went on to go into various forms of jazz because they wanted to break free of the strictures of the big band, which was really an ensemble. A lot of the great players came out of the Duke Ellington Band, Count Basie's and Woody Herman's big bands The big bands in effect became incubators for the great jazz explosion of the 50's and 60's which is what became symbolic of what constitutes jazz music. However, as noted above, jazz is a term that encompasses many forms of musical expression. I am an aficionado of many versions of this great American art form. I really like big band a lot. All of those horns really make the music kick.

+1

I recommend the audio course "Elements of Jazz: Cakewalk to Fusion" from the Teaching Company. It's a great survey of jazz from its origins and really enhanced my appreciation of this art form.

Speaking of memorable concerts, I saw Wynton Marsalis and his quintet a few years ago and they were awsome. Diana Krall also should not be missed.

Last edited:
The best way to experience jazz is live in person. Usually, cities that are at least medium-sized or above have at least a couple of jazz clubs or there are restaurants or venues where they show up to play. There's a local Italian restaurant that has a trio that plays every Wednesday night.

I'm the opposite of you. I like laid back jazz. Where there's a guy playing a smooth bass line, someone playing the drums lightly, and then someone playing the guitar or keyboards. But all jazz is good. I like it probably more than classical.

Big Bands:
Count Basie
Duke Ellington
Thad Jones/Mel Lewis
Stan Kenton
Buddy Rich
Maynard Ferguson
Pete Ellman Big Band (currently playing band - excitement squared)

To a lesser extent:
Benny Goodman
Artie Shaw (I like his clarinet playing better then Benny's, but Benny's no slouch)
Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey
Glenn Miller
Xavier Cougat

I played in my HS and college big bands, and one church big band. Some of the best experiences of my life.

Other players/combos
early Miles
Tom Harrell
Chet Baker
Oscar Peterson/Clark Terry
Freddy Hubbard
Ingrid Jensen
Dizzy Gillespie
Clifford Brown (omg, what he did in his few years is great)
Wayne Bergeron (Pete Ellman's lead player - the screaming high notes and driving lead playing on The Incredibles sound track are from this man)
very early Wynton Marsalis
(can you tell I'm a trumpet player?)
My younger son recently introduced me to Bill Evans (sad life, awesome music)
Dave Brubeck

Fusion leaves me cold, but just about everything else is fine by me.

I used to think jazz was just the smooth stuff. I would think Dave Brubeck's Take 5 or Girl From Impanema was jazz. I guess it was during the Big Band resurgence during the 90's, when you had the Brian Setzer Orchestra or Big Bad Voodoo Daddys, that I started going back and rediscovering Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller, and never forget Frank Sinatra. I think he was the epitome of cool in his day. I love anything with a stand up bass being played like nobody's business...but I digress.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As promised.

An amazing woman, an amazing voice, an amazing song

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKgcKYTStMc[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom