What's new

Would this make a good first razor?

Hello,

I'm thinking of taking up straight razor shaving. Currently using a DE.
I was in a local antique shop and found this razor. The box, and price tag said it was a Genco, but the stamping said Sheffield England, and I thought it also said W. Solingen Germany. I took a picture, but it came out really crappy.

The blade looks to be in really nice shape. A few spots, but no rust. It's a full wedge and didn't notice much hone wear at all, if any.
The scales are in pretty nice shape too.

They want $28 for this razor. I can probably get it for $25.

So, my questions are:

1. Would this be a good razor for a newbie?
2. Is this a good price for the razor?

Here are some pics. Sorry they aren't very clear. Phone camera not all that great.

It would need to be honed, I'm sure it's not shave ready, and I'll have to find a strop as well. Was thinking it might be wise to have the point muted a bit, so it's a little safer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Based on the pipe stamp in the second picture, I would say it's a Wolstenholm. That is a Sheffield blade and a very good one at that.

If you don't want it, I'll give the full $28 and pick up the shipping. :biggrin:

You can tell from these altruistic responses that, yes, that wosty pipe razor would be great shaver. This is provided there is nothing wrong with the edge and that you can get it to someone to have it honed properly. It looks like it is in very good condition but it is too hard to tell what the most important bit, the edge, is like from the photos.

It'll be easier to see what the edge looks like if you can get it to the east coast. I'll pm you my address. :wink:

Seriously, for the money I'd definitely take the chance. Just find someone good to hone for you. As a plus it's a nice wedge grind which, while a bugger to hone, I personally think makes for a good starter razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom