What's new

Worth fixing?

I got this lot of Henckels on eBay. The one with the beautiful etched spine has the cracked scales. Is it worth rescaling or should I let original be?

I wanted beater blades I could practice honing on. So maybe I will on the cracked one.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 18
Worth fixing? Absolutely! Scales are cheap.

Beater blades for practice? Absolutely not! Henckels are not cheap.

Find another razor to perfect your honing skills.

You could try to glue the cracked scale. If that doesn’t work, then rescale it. That might look real pretty with some honey gold horn scales.

Those are real nice Henckels Scott.
Wish I could find some as nice as that and not have to pay a mint.

As above, glue or rescale.

Yeah, I thought y’all would say that. I didn’t think the blades would be so pristine, but they are. I paid the reserve bid of $108 dollars, so thought maybe something was wrong with them.

The crack is glued and perfectly functional. I would like to put some natural animal material scales on them, but thought that would make it a keeper and not a collectible. I would probably need to find someone who could do it, if I cannot find good instructions.

On line videos and such show the tube and washers being permed, but there’s the pin too?

Scott, I know a fellow SR user who makes scales in just about any material you would want.

It would probably be best to have them install them. I could, but it would take awhile to figure it out. Bone sounds cool to me. I have a Ralph Aust with horn.

Worth fixing? Absolutely! Scales are cheap.

Beater blades for practice? Absolutely not! Henckels are not cheap.

Find another razor to perfect your honing skills.

+1 on Jim99's comments. These are very nice blades. Since the scales are marked with the Henkel's logo on the display side and the crack is on the reverse, see if you can glue the broken scale. Since the break is not at the pivot, there is a good chance glue will work. If you cannot get the glue to hold, see if someone can make a replacement for the boroken scale while retaining the one with the logo.

If all else fails, make a new set of scales for the razor. You will lose the logo on the scales, but you will still have an attractive razor that shaves well.

+1 on Jim99's comments. These are very nice blades. Since the scales are marked with the Henkel's logo on the display side and the crack is on the reverse, see if you can glue the broken scale. Since the break is not at the pivot, there is a good chance glue will work. If you cannot get the glue to hold, see if someone can make a replacement for the boroken scale while retaining the one with the logo.

If all else fails, make a new set of scales for the razor. You will lose the logo on the scales, but you will still have an attractive razor that shaves well.

Your sort of reading my mind. I would hate to lose the logo. The crack at the wedge is glued and seems to be holding fine.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Your sort of reading my mind. I would hate to lose the logo. The crack at the wedge is glued and seems to be holding fine.

Scott, pinning scales is simple but takes some practice. I have a Gold Dollar that I remove and then re-pin over and over and I’m getting better. Good skill to have when you need to clean tangs. Just something to keep in mind.

Steve

Scott, pinning scales is simple but takes some practice. I have a Gold Dollar that I remove and then re-pin over and over and I’m getting better. Good skill to have when you need to clean tangs. Just something to keep in mind.

Steve

You’re right. There just doesn’t seem to be any definitive how tos. I see videos cutting the tubes, placing washers on and peening which appears to stake the washers on, but nothing on the pin. It looks like the nail end mushrooms in a dimple on an anvil when you tap on the other end. I’m just guessing.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don’t use tubes - just washers and rods. The washers that go on the inside are bigger than the ones on the outside. You need a 5/32” hole about 1/4” deep on your anvil. Be sure to get an anvil or steel block to hammer on that is carbon steel. I’ve found stainless to be impossible to drill.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You’re right. There just doesn’t seem to be any definitive how tos. I see videos cutting the tubes, placing washers on and peening which appears to stake the washers on, but nothing on the pin. It looks like the nail end mushrooms in a dimple on an anvil when you tap on the other end. I’m just guessing.

+2 Those are beautiful razors!

I don’t use tubes - just washers and rods. The washers that go on the inside are bigger than the ones on the outside. You need a 5/32” hole about 1/4” deep on your anvil. Be sure to get an anvil or steel block to hammer on that is carbon steel. I’ve found stainless to be impossible to drill.

Thank you!!

Top Bottom