What's new

Worst Blade PIF review

I received my PIF from Toothpick on Thursday, and pulled a random blade from the pack this morning. - A Wilkinson Sword by Gillette.

This morning, I decided to install it into my QShave (Futur Clone), set on 3, which I'm very familiar with. Used Proraso Green Cream, face lather using my RR 26mm Monster, following my morning shower.

First pass, I actually had to check the setting on my razor, it was too smooth feeling. Prior blade was a Kai up until this morning. This is Not the same blade as the German Classics I bought a couple months ago. Very smooth and apparently sharp. I was pretty much BBS after the second pass, with just a couple spots of touch up needed. So far I really like this blade.

I actually got a little too brazen or overly confident, and did get a small nick or weeper on my chin, and it was my fault, not the blade. - I'm editing the phrase I'd like to use, referring to a male organ. It was my fault, wasn't bad, and only knew when I noticed the small spot of blood. This Wilkinson Sword was confident inspiring with it's smoothness.

I'd like to know which Wilkinson blade this is, as they sell blades from 4, possibly more countries.

I'll probably move this to a less smooth razor for the next shave, to test it's metal. Maybe my slim, or an open comb. - I have a New LC or better a Pearl OC Head (which is usually a bit too aggressive for me), that would really test its smoothness. I may skip the shave tomorrow to really give it a test Monday.

Nice review and excellent method for blade selection!! It'll be interesting how the blade performs in your other razors. I've tried a German Wilkie; it was sharp but not smooth.

I like German Wilkies- smooth blade for me in my Rockwell. Better blades out there for the price point, but good blades. Haven't tried the Indian or wherever else makes Wilkinson, just the German made version.

Good review. I tried a Wilkinson when I first got started. So so for me. Glad to hear you had good results.

This morning, after skipping the shave Sunday, was with the Wilkinson Sword from the PIF, for it's second shave. I did some checking, this Wilkinson Sword blade, based upon the number from the wrapper, is made in India and sold as part of the 'Saloon Pack'. As mentioned Saturday, I installed it into an Open Comb, actually a borrowed Schone, as I sold mine last month on the BST Forum. - I found the Schone to be a little too aggressive for me, what better way to test the smoothness of a blade, right! :001_07:

This morning's shave included the usual shower, and application of conditioner to my beard during the shower. Face lathered using DR Harris Arlington, and picked up the gleaming Schone, preparing for a bit less comfortable shave and took a swallow before beginning.

I was feeling a little inspired by the blade's smoothness on Saturday, and thought, what the heck! And decided to see just what I could get in a single pass, almost directly ATG, with two days growth. Worse case scenario, I back up, go WTG and start over after the first swipe. Well coming up my neck at a slight angle, pretty much against the grain, with the razor head nearly flat on my face (as shallow as I could muster), and with as little pressure as possible, I made an ATG pass with no nicks, cuts, and darn it was actually pretty comfortable, maybe not as comfortable as Saturday's shave, but pretty darn good. I proceeded to do the other side, then up the chin, and strait up my cheeks with little drama. These blades from India are pretty darn smooth. Ok, I couldn't do the upper lip ATG and reverted to a mostly XTG motion, but, there are razors I just can't do ATG on the mustache area period. I was mostly BBS in 1 Pass, with just a few touch up areas needed, which just doesn't happen for me and these stiff whiskers. More amazing was I could never go ATG with my Schone, maybe my cheeks, but no way on the neck, but I pulled it off FIRST Pass with this blade.

Well, pretty much BBS wasn't going to stop me, I rinsed, and re-lathered and did a XTG pass for clean up, with the final result drama free, and went back and gently did an ATG on the mustache area as pass number two. I'm really liking this Wilkinson Sword blade from India, and think it's smoother than the German blades I have, but haven't used one in a few weeks. Did a warm rinse, cold rinse, and splashed on some Avon Deep Woods (I think, might have been Wild Country) Aftershave, and did have a small amount of feedback in a couple spots, but I've had a lot worse after shaves with lesser razors. Dab of Stirling unscented lotion, and I was ready to dress for work.

Debating which razor to drop it in for tomorrow, maybe Rocky with a low plate (r1/r2), to test it's efficiency on a mild razor is my thought. Tuesdays are up early and out the door for my networking meeting, so that might be a good choice for shave #3 on this blade.

I'm also going to post a picture of the entire blade sample tonight or tomorrow, thinking perhaps I'll have the other forum members vote on what blade to try next out of the 'Worst Blade Sampler PIF". There are some unique blades in the package to be sure, some I've never heard mentioned before.

I missed the update yesterday for Shave #3 with the Indian Wilkinson Sword, which I chocked into my Rockwell on R2. Yesterday was Proraso Green Cream, which lathers quickly using my 26mm RR synthetic, as it was 5:30 in the morning and I was pressed for time. Shave was typical Rockwell smooth, with plenty of sharpness left to provide a nice long lasting BBS Shave after the typical three passes and some touch up. - I was using plate R2 as I indicated I would on Monday, which is about equivalent to a Feather Razor, so mild, yet efficient. Blade still felt smooth, seemed to have no trouble knocking down the whiskers, even with plate R2. Rocky is my go-to razor, particularly on Tuesdays when I'm pressed for time, as even half a sleep I can knock out a BBS shave with it. I'm having trouble seeing what some others don't like about this blade, having seen the Wilkinson Sword blades, particularly the Indian sources in the Saloon Pack (which these are), bashed by others in the past. They're fairly inexpensive, and so far exceptionally smooth and sharp.

Today was Shave #4 with the Wilkinson Sword blade, which I decided to drop into my '61 FB this morning, twisted the knob to 7, lathered with Proraso Red using a Semogue 830, following my morning shower. A bit more relaxed shave today than yesterday, so I was going slower and enjoying the smell of the Sandalwood.

With the FB set on setting 7, I began the typically three passes going WTG or mostly downward for me. Still very smooth, good beard reduction, as it has been a bit over 24 hours since Tuesday's shave. Overall, couldn't ask for a much better 1st pass from the FB, which I've always felt removed a tiny bit less than the QShave/MingShi or OC on the first pass.

Quick hot water rinse and re-lathered for pass #2, XTG, which for me is ear to mouth, and slightly slanted from below ear towards chin on the neck direction wise. What I did notice is I was subconsciously been using a bit shallower angle than I normally would, don't know why, maybe it was the smoothness of the blade? - I usually shave with the FB a bit steeper, and hadn't noticed until about 1/2 through the 2nd pass. Face was easily DFS by the end of the 2nd pass, no apparent irritation so far.

Another hot water rinse and re-lather for pass #3, ATG, so upward from jaw and angled downward from ear to adam's apple on my neck...my neck hair grows in all directions, this direction seems to work best for a 3rd pass with the most audible feedback. Still no tugging, and blade appears to be holding up well and still seems smooth. - This is still with the FB on 7. Went to the mustache area and lightly buffed upward to make it as smooth as possible, and did have some blade feel, which is normal for me with the the FB unless I lower it to around 3 for the mustache area for the upward (fool's) pass. (The only two razors I can comfortable perform the "fool's pass" with and not have what I would call heavy blade feel or a scraping sensation is my Rockwell or the QShave turned down to 2 or below).

Overall, blade is holding up quite well, as this was now four(4) shaves on this blade, which some don't seem to care for. I'll probably keep going with this blade until it either does't feel smooth or stops being efficient. Will also do my best to find time tonight to spread out the other blades from this sampler/pif from Toothpick for others to suggest which to use next, once the Wilkinson Sword is done. If I'm lucky, I have another eBay steal which might arrive today, and that might be tomorrow's razor.....the RAD kicked in a couple weeks back, what can I say.

Here they are, who would like to see which next, in a variety of razors?

IMG_20170824_002934.jpg
You guys pick it.....I'll use it at least once, or until I feel it's done.

Wow, crickets!

For shave #5, I dropped the current Wilkie into my 1930s Gillette New LC with a bar handle. A razor I've only used 3 or 4 times prior, using DR Harris Arlington soap.

This blade is still very smooth and had no trouble reducing the growth using a WTG Pass, and was actually a VERY nice first pass, really close for a single pass, and I could have left the house with certainly a SAS, if not a DFS after the first pass if so inclined or in a real rush. Not a weeper in sight, just really nice beard reduction. Not sure if it's the blade, the fact I've dialed in this razor, jor more likely a combination, as it's growing on me. I've historically NOT gotten along with OC or Slant razors, but I could use this combination daily if I had to.

Rinse, relather and started the 2nd pass XTG. Nice glide between the soap and blade, this is a perfect combination and this blade is still really smooth, I've tossed blades with 4-5 shaves on them, and this doesn't show any signs of giving up so far, and might even have become smoother than the first shave or two. Even my neck and upper lip, the sensitive areas, are holding up well to the 2nd pass, which isn't usually the case with an OC razor for me. That said, I was surprised at how well the borrowed Schone shaved with this blade, much smoother than my attempts with a Pol-Silver.

Rinse, relather, and proceeded with a 3rd pass, which was really more of a clean-up pass ATG, as there wasn't a whole lot of anything left, just a patch here or there on the tough to get areas. Actually, I have this spot just below my chin on the right side, that never feels quite smooth, and the clean-up pass seems to have gotten it. (It almost NEVER gets smooth, not that it feels like whiskers, just not that silky smooth feeling, but I got it this morning). Razor is still just gliding along, and my face feels smoother than a baby's bottom. There was no problem at all on the ATG pass, the blade just mowed through what little was left.

Absolutely no nicks, no cuts, no weepers after three passes, and this was with an OC, which I tend to get a small dot here or there, but not today. I did get some good initial feedback for a second or two from the aftershave this morning, which was O'land from Avon, but that could be the high alcohol content. Since acquiring the lot of 16 bottles for $20, I've found that some of their aftershave/colognes have a bit more alcohol than others, this being one of them. (Spicy, no sting, Deep Woods, a little bit of tingling, O'land is like using Pinnaud Clubman...think the kid on home alone, that type of alcohol). Finished with a small dab of unscented Stirling cream to moisturize and help repair my face form the shave.

So far, this may be one of the best blends of smooth and sharp I've experienced in a blade. The only smoother blade I recall was maybe a Shark Chrome, from the pack that came with a Parker razor over a year ago, but they were pretty much dead by the third shave, and this guy just keeps going.

Don't forget to pick the next blade to try from this PIF Sampler, I'm the type who likes to experiment.

Top Bottom