What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

Around 2 it is mild but efficient shaves mostly like a qshave adjustable futul. But more forgiving and a lot less picky which blades you use. The magnetic top cap makes it a bit different.And yeah for that money I got a spare.
Definitely. I'm not into adjustables, but if I were I might have given it a go!

My Top Soaps as of today. I won’t be selling any of these 😉

Shannon’s NIL
View attachment 1281034
Declaration Grooming Unscented
View attachment 1281035
Stirling Sheep
View attachment 1281036
Stirling Naked and Smooth
View attachment 1281045
Zingari Man Navigator just made the Slickest Soap rotation...the first scented soap to do so! It smells amazing! 😍
IMG-1394.jpg

so yesterday straight bar today the comb new permasharps tomorrow back to straight no more side by side for a while

the straight yesterday was insane smooth todays comb was more efficient less strokes to get super close test and just a small bit of moment AS sting but so little
yesterdays had no AS sting of any kind none at all like WOW so while it takes a few more I do think its smoother overall but again both are so nice its really tough to choose I like the feedback of the comb but I do think the straight is smoother based on AS splash after

so yesterday straight bar today the comb new permasharps tomorrow back to straight no more side by side for a while

the straight yesterday was insane smooth todays comb was more efficient less strokes to get super close test and just a small bit of moment AS sting but so little
yesterdays had no AS sting of any kind none at all like WOW so while it takes a few more I do think its smoother overall but again both are so nice its really tough to choose I like the feedback of the comb but I do think the straight is smoother based on AS splash after
Smoother is better 👍🏻😉

today more sting using straight bar with AS then yesterdays comb ? hmmmmm seem to be on a teeter totter :)
again new permasharp once again tomorrow will be the comb and new permasharp and I might just say OK and choose the one I think is working and stick with it
start in on my blade hunts and come back around to get the matte finish later on
I kinda want to try the .95 bar now :)

but I do think this has been great and do think folks need to just put in the time with a bunch of razors (as I expected)
some say buy one stick with it but I am so so so so glad I did not and bought a ton and did a ton of comparison
I will strongly argue that point just like in skiing you have demo days to try new things like shoes for hiking you have to get the base fit and comfort down not get one pair and try to make it work etc...

been using the stirling coconut lime just to be using the same soap for consistency

excited to drop the shark blades back in the day after tomorrow and compare to the permasharp :)

today more sting using straight bar with AS then yesterdays comb ? hmmmmm seem to be on a teeter totter :)
again new permasharp once again tomorrow will be the comb and new permasharp and I might just say OK and choose the one I think is working and stick with it
start in on my blade hunts and come back around to get the matte finish later on
I kinda want to try the .95 bar now :)

but I do think this has been great and do think folks need to just put in the time with a bunch of razors (as I expected)
some say buy one stick with it but I am so so so so glad I did not and bought a ton and did a ton of comparison
I will strongly argue that point just like in skiing you have demo days to try new things like shoes for hiking you have to get the base fit and comfort down not get one pair and try to make it work etc...

been using the stirling coconut lime just to be using the same soap for consistency

excited to drop the shark blades back in the day after tomorrow and compare to the permasharp :)
Ckmaui, are you typing this?lol It seems like a stream of consciousness type of dictation with no punctuation or capital letters 😂
Anyway, I agree with most of what you say (I think!). For example, I think you have to try a bunch of razors instead of just sticking with one until you "get it right". It's the same with anything...shoes, cars, baseball gloves, etc. You should "test drive" several possibilities until you find the "right fit"...as opposed to forcing yourself to fit into the product. Now, hopefully, as you grow accustomed to whatever it is, you will "hone in" your technique and optimize the performance of the razor (or whatever)...but with all the choices out there in shaving hardware (and software), there's absolutely no reason to force yourself to keep using a product that is initially uncomfortable in the hopes that someday it will start to feel right! Can you imagine, for example, going to a shoe store and having the salesman say, "Don't worry that that shoe feels like it's ripping up your feet. Just keep using it for a week or two and I'm sure you're going to be happy with it." Give. Me. A. Break!

Ckmaui, are you typing this?lol It seems like a stream of consciousness type of dictation with no punctuation or capital letters [emoji23]
Anyway, I agree with most of what you say (I think!). For example, I think you have to try a bunch of razors instead of just sticking with one until you "get it right". It's the same with anything...shoes, cars, baseball gloves, etc. You should "test drive" several possibilities until you find the "right fit"...as opposed to forcing yourself to fit into the product. Now, hopefully, as you grow accustomed to whatever it is, you will "hone in" your technique and optimize the performance of the razor (or whatever)...but with all the choices out there in shaving hardware (and software), there's absolutely no reason to force yourself to keep using a product that is initially uncomfortable in the hopes that someday it will start to feel right! Can you imagine, for example, going to a shoe store and having the salesman say, "Don't worry that that shoe feels like it's ripping up your feet. Just keep using it for a week or two and I'm sure you're going to be happy with it." Give. Me. A. Break!

Makes perfect sense [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have really enjoyed and learned a lot from this thread. After 40+ years of cartridge and disposable shavers, I made the plunge into this about a month ago. Initially, just wanted to decrease my plastic waste footprint, but quickly fell into the proverbial rabbit hole. Based on this and other threads, purchased a 34c and Henson Mild as my initial razors. Have a GC 68 in the mail. I have never nicked myself or had weepers with the Merkur, but was getting weepers with the Henson (oddly enough) in my mustache area (pretty coarse). Maybe my technique is getting better, but it seems that the blade matters to my beard with the Henson. Last 2 shaves with Gillette Silver Platinum have been great. Hope that problem is solved. Looking forward to my GC!

Have really enjoyed and learned a lot from this thread. After 40+ years of cartridge and disposable shavers, I made the plunge into this about a month ago. Initially, just wanted to decrease my plastic waste footprint, but quickly fell into the proverbial rabbit hole. Based on this and other threads, purchased a 34c and Henson Mild as my initial razors. Have a GC 68 in the mail. I have never nicked myself or had weepers with the Merkur, but was getting weepers with the Henson (oddly enough) in my mustache area (pretty coarse). Maybe my technique is getting better, but it seems that the blade matters to my beard with the Henson. Last 2 shaves with Gillette Silver Platinum have been great. Hope that problem is solved. Looking forward to my GC!
What blade did you use in the Henson that gave you weepers?
You'll for sure enjoy the GC 68. One of my all-time favs.

For me, the softest razor is the Carbon Cx-Ti .71 with a Feather blade. It's like Timeless Ti slim only very effective.

Astra and Shark both. Again, it could be developing technique. Generally happened second pass XTG. But, did not occur with 34c.
You mentioned that the mustache area is coarse. The problem with the Henson is that it's a mild razor with a tiny blade gap, so more passes might be needed to mow down the hair, causing irritation.

I'd recommend using a Feather blade, at your own risk of course.

Nothing wrong with using another razor altogether for your mustache area as well, although an adjustable razor would be more suitable in this case.

Just had a great shave with the Tatara Masamune and Tatara Masamune Nodachi. This was the first time I used the Nodachi. I thought it was going to be too aggressive. It's not! It’s just has a tiny bit more blade feel...and it's a little more efficient.
I'm going to have to experiment with them for a while, but my first impression is that I like the Nodachi better! ;)
I really love the Tatara razors. They feel like smaller “classic" razors with some heft and amazing precision that start great...and get better!
Polsilver is quickly becoming my favorite blade! Portuguese razors 🇵🇹 and Polish blades 🇵🇱 are a match made in heaven! 😇
IMG-1436.jpg

Last edited:
Just had a great shave with the Tatara Masamune and Tatara Masamune Nodachi. This was the first time I used the Nodachi. I thought it was going to be too aggressive. It's not! It’s just has a tiny bit more blade feel...and it's a little more efficient.
I'm going to have to experiment with them for a while, but my first impression is that I like the Nodachi better! ;)
I really love the Tatara razors. They feel like smaller “classic" razors with some heft and amazing precision that start great...and get better!
Polsilver is quickly becoming my favorite blade! Portuguese razors 🇵🇹 and Polish blades 🇵🇱 are a match made in heaven! 😇
View attachment 1285694

Nice. My Nodachi has taken top spot in my den....though I'm using the Masamune handle. It is fun to use and top notch quality. I don't find it aggressive either, just smooth and efficient. Leaves my skin feeling great afterwards. Glad you like it.

Nice. My Nodachi has taken top spot in my den....though I'm using the Masamune handle. It is fun to use and top notch quality. I don't find it aggressive either, just smooth and efficient. Leaves my skin feeling great afterwards. Glad you like it.
I really do like it! It's the only razor I've tried that seems "fun" to use. And, now that you mention it, my skin also feels great! 👍🏻

I do NOT need to know this!! A Nodachi is one of the few things that tempts me even though I’m quite happy with my Masamune. I didn’t love a Wizamet/Polsilver in my Masamune, but I think it’s the first blade that I’ve found that beats the Astra SP in my Henson mild. Feather still rules in the Masamune.

Around 2 it is mild but efficient shaves mostly like a qshave adjustable futul. But more forgiving and a lot less picky which blades you use. The magnetic top cap makes it a bit different.And yeah for that money I got a spare.

I'm having trouble comprehending the point of this thread. Isn't "mildest razor" an oxymoron, like "softest hammer"?

If you want a really soft, er, mild razor, just put the baseplate on upside down (yes, there are people who do this, and then write scathing reviews online).

China churns out tons of ultra-mild razors. They seem to think that hiding the blade is a vital safety feature essential to staying alive long enough to see your children and grandchildren grow up. Just look at the photos accompanying the razors!*

Someone at the beginning of the thread nominated the Baili TTO as the mildest razor. Huh? This is the most aggressive of the very mild Baili line. It has more blade exposure and a wider gap than a Gillette Ambassador TTO, Milord or Super Speed. I get a far faster, closer shave with it than those oft touted classics. But used at the wrong angle, the Baili BD179 can be harsh.

The mildest Baili is the BD191. It is so mild, I tried grinding off much of the edges of the top cap, and still couldn't get a usable shave. But apparently some people like it.

Even milder than the BD191 is that gobbledygook-named adjustable razor with the magnetic cap when set to One, or even Two.** It seems to be a pretty good razor, but has the company making it ever considered hiring an advertising agency, or at least someone competent for their marketing department? Referring to: "the funny sounding named razor with the magnets" (FSNRWTM Razor) only takes you so far. No wonder they are down to selling the razor for $7!

I have mixed feelings about Chinese razors. Sometimes they do their homework and get it right, other times they just seem to do the opposite of everyone else, and call it creative. The Baili TTO got it right.

And this no-name, no-number FSNRWTM razor by the what's-it's-name company gets it right on several points, from my limited experience with it. The most impressive thing about the razor is its svelte looks -- it makes the Merkur Futur look like a plated Tinker Toy. The photos do not do it justice.

mild razor.jpeg

-- The FSNRWTM Razor

It is particularly nice with its stand. The FSNRWTM belongs in the MOMA collection.

The magnetic cap does work nicely. On another more expensive magnetic razor site there are claims that the magnetic field reduces deterioration of the razor blade by holding the atoms in place better between shaves. Huh? That would be nice, but prove it. I would have like to see using the magnetic field to hold the blade edges in place more firmly during shaving, thus reducing hysteresis.

Everything fits nicely, provided you don't go disassembling it yourself, and put it back together wrong. (That's where the backup razor comes in handy.)

I haven't used it much, and haven't gotten around to comparing the FSNRWTM razor with the Mingshi Futur knockoff MFKROMN (Merkur Futur Knockoff Razor Of Many Names) -- I can only shave once a day, and have been busy with other interesting razors. But it does have a lot to offer. I used it at a fairly high setting. Also, keep in mind the razor is asymmetrical, so the main side will be milder, the side opposite the number marker more aggressive.

The razor uses 1930s Gillette blade alignment patterns, which is good, but not perfect. Since the tabs are covered, you must push against the blade if you want to make minor adjustments. Or hold the razor tilted to one side when you put the blade in, so it settles flush against the alignment guides.

The big bug, like the Futur, is adjusting the razor while shaving without slicing your finger. This is because the tabs are covered with smooth rounded edges that are difficult to grip. I always put the guard against the counter and twist when making adjustments. If the razor is slippery, rinse the soap off your hand. And it would be nice if the numbers were easier to read, but hey, it's $7.

Frankly, I have very little interest in adjustable razors, as I am happy with a good three-piece razor with one setting. But some people like the gimmick. And for those who like mild razors, this offers other more practical options.

So, my advice is tell your friends about this interesting new razor that doesn't have a name made by a company with a name that is impossible to pronounce. Or recommend: "You know, the one that has magnets in it and is kinda pretty, and they're practically giving away. I think it's called the FSNRWTM Razor. Just do a key word search online."

-=-

* The worst razor ever foisted upon me was a pretty Chinese razor with miniscule alignment pins, hidden tabs and almost no blade exposure. The result was that the blade ended up in all sorts of random positions. Pushing it with a finger as far as possible to one side was the only way to get a shave out of it. I tried using it twice. There seem to be a lot of similar Chinese razors being sold online these days. At least the handle was nice.

I am now extremely wary of buying No Name Chinese razors online. This FSNRWTM razor was my only exception.

** You can partially take apart the razor and tinker with the settings so that 1 and 2 are usable, shifting all the settings to somewhat wider gaps.

Last edited:
How can you tell the difference between the Nodachi top and the Masamune top by just looking at the two?
From the top, they look the same...
IMG-1446.jpg
From the bottom, the Nodachi (on the bottom) has shorter blade mounting tabs (or whatever they're called):
IMG-1445.jpg
From the side, the Nodachi (right) looks thinner and flatter:
IMG-1448.jpg
Fully assembled, the Nodachi head (left) has a bigger blade gap:
IMG-1442.jpg

Top Bottom