What's new

World Market Coffees?

Good afternoon chaps. Now before I go too far, you coffee gurus take it easy on me. I know enough about quality coffee to put in a thimble.

We shop at World Market for neat stuff you cannot get most other places. Coffee has never been on that list since we always just bought Maxwell House ground coffee up till I gave my wife an espresso machine for Christmas. Since then we have used Illy pre-ground medium roast espresso grind and La Vazza espresso grind in the gold can. The wife likes them both and actually prefers the cheaper La Vazza to the Illy. We are ordering a grinder this weekend so we can take advantage of fresher coffee at brewing time.

The store brands at World Market sound promising but there is really very little information about the beans themselves. No mention on the packaging whether they are Robusta or Arabica beans. I tried the Sumatra and did not like it. Even though it is dark roasted and I don't care for that type of roasting, I bought it because it said other great things about flavour and the low acidity. Wrong. I was quite disappointed in it's rough after taste and the roasting had that too charred bite too it. I was tempted by the Italian roast but it too was listed as dark roasted and I passed. Glad I did too. I bought another can of La Vazza today and they had the Italian out for sampling. It was over roasted for my palate as well. Hmmm. Would someone care to share any experience they have with the house coffees at World Market?

I can tell that as of now, I like medium roasted(toasted/not charred?) much better but I suppose it depends on the blend as to whether it is appropriate to grind fine enough for espresso. I have seen it said that some blends that are good as drip or French press allow too much bitters to extract for espresso. Yes/no? As you can see I have a lot to learn. Just wondered if it was worth exploring WM coffees or should I just pass them up?

Regards, Todd

The problem with places like that concerns when was the actual coffee roasted? It may be way beyond a reasonable date so you have degradation from that alone. Additionally over roasting seems to be a big problem in general. It's best to do it all yourself. In the end you will save money. I don't know about the retailer you are talking about but if you have a Trader Joe's near you check them out for coffee.

I absolutely love to browse World Market but rarely buy foodstuffs from there because there's no telling how old anything is. If I do buy a consumable, I do it with a somewhat low expectation and hope to be surprised. Coffee, I would thing, could either be hit or miss. Trader Joe's is a whole 'nother story. I wouldn't have any concerns there for the most part.

I've bought their loose full leaf tea and been pleased. It's not the best stuff out there, nor is it the best value, but I've yet to find better supply locally. It's been a good start for more than a couple people I know (particularly the Mountain Wulong).

The "ancient pu erh" is like a ripened maocha, if that makes any sense.

Guys, I have pretty much come to the conclusion I won't be buying any more of the WM coffees. I sniffed and tasted a few of their samples and they all have a similarity to each other. Not a good sign in my opinion.

Yes, we have a local roaster here in town. I will contact them and talk things over. I am pretty sure they can set me up with some decent beans. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Todd

Todd,

I would highly recommend stopping by one of the Z's Espresso locations here and checking out their selection of beans. They roast their own coffee at the East store and both stores carry the freshly roasted beans. Prices vary between $10-12/lb but they always have two varieties on sale for $8-9/lb. I'm in there for a pound of beans every Sunday (my law school stress is good for their business) and have yet to be disappointed.

Just make sure to put the beans/grounds into an airtight container when you get home, since the paper bags they use for bulk purchases will let the coffee go stale very quickly.

Hi Kyle. Z's is my wife's favourite coffee shop. This led to her request for an espresso machine. She just could not justify the daily cost. I had thought more than once about trying them for beans.

I also remembered at one time there was a custom roaster in North Lawrence on Locust Street. http://www.efreshcoffee.com/ I was surprised to find their blends at Hyvee. If you look at the "about us" on their site it gives a list of retailers. I have no idea if they are good at what they do but knowing the coffee culture around here, they would likely be gone now if they were off the reservation too far. Thanks again for the reminder about Z's.

Regards, Todd

I'm a stone's throw from Counter Culture Coffee (the roastery in Durham) - Jason, any experience w/them?

Do they have a retail outlet there? If so I would definitely try them out. I believe a number of respected restaurants and small coffee houses source their coffee from them. They have a mail order coffee-of-the-month(week?) package but I have never purchased anything direct from them myself.

Do they have a retail outlet there? If so I would definitely try them out. I believe a number of respected restaurants and small coffee houses source their coffee from them. They have a mail order coffee-of-the-month(week?) package but I have never purchased anything direct from them myself.

Email them for a current list, but at the very least, Ideas Coffee House on HWY 55 near RTP stocks CC coffee. I had a couple conversations with a guy there when I first got a proper espresso machine, and back then, there was no way to buy from the Alston Ave. location. They just didn't have a ***. Might have changed.

Also, they have semi-regular events at that location. Check out the site, sign up for emails, or drop them a line. I've found them to be really approachable. Oh, and good coffee.

counterculturecoffee.com

Top Bottom