What's new

Working on my straight razor technique

My first shave went perfect. Second shave great. 3rd shave, I started using too much weight on the blade. I've known that you're supposed to let the blade do the work, but I think I was rushed on shave 3 and 4, because I didn't feel like working on the angle and focusing closer to the point or the heel of the blade. 4th shave, I got 3 cuts on the right side of my face. It's not the blade, it'll still pass a hanging hair test. I need to stop rushing.

Rushing is bad, no question about that, and along with inattention is probably the top source of cuts.

Also consider the possibility that the edge got a little duller, and you unconsciously compensated by raising the angle and increasing pressure. It's very easy to do.

The thing that took me the longest to learn in straight razor shaving was zero pressure. I knew that was what I should be doing many months before I could get my hands to do it consistently, even when I wasn't consciously telling them to do it.

Rushing is bad, no question about that, and along with inattention is probably the top source of cuts.

Also consider the possibility that the edge got a little duller, and you unconsciously compensated by raising the angle and increasing pressure. It's very easy to do.

The thing that took me the longest to learn in straight razor shaving was zero pressure. I knew that was what I should be doing many months before I could get my hands to do it consistently, even when I wasn't consciously telling them to do it.
I know the blade is still sharp. The first pass with the grain is always hardly any pressure, and cuts great. It's when I'm chasing the bbs on the second pass, against the grain, that I get into a rush because it takes me 2 passes usually. Then I pressed harder and cut myself, instead of properly holding the blade and maneuvering the cut towards the right end of the blade, and properly maneuvering my left hand to pull on the skin right, the first time.

I did better this morning. Slight redness but no cuts. Blade is definitely still sharp! Getting more efficient at stroping as well.

In my experience it is easy to get complacent when just starting to get comfortable with straights.

The first few shaves went well as I was cautious using a straight, then after a few months with nary a nick, complacency set in and the razor let me know.

Two things are required for straight shaving that can't be bought. They are focus and patience. These are up to you.

Keep at it. Your technique is improving and you are learning or consolidating previously learned lessons with every shave, even if it isn't immediately apparent.

Typically, an uncomfortable ATG pass is a sharpness issue. Yes, prep and technique can be problematic, but a keen razor should shave ATG without irritation or blood.

It is not uncommon for new straight razor shavers to roll or chip a shave ready edge by stropping. Stropping is way underrated and can be difficult to master.

So, first rule out the edge. Get some magnification and look straight down on the edge, if you see any shiny reflections the razor needs to, at least go back to the finish stone.

Hair tests, especially for a new shaver, are unreliable, a dull razor will cut hair and you are testing a very small sample of the edge. Hair tests tell you nothing about microchips, that will feel harsh and can draw blood.

Look straight down on the edge. Check the most likely suspects, first.

In my experience it is easy to get complacent when just starting to get comfortable with straights.

The first few shaves went well as I was cautious using a straight, then after a few months with nary a nick, complacency set in and the razor let me know.

Two things are required for straight shaving that can't be bought. They are focus and patience. These are up to you.

Keep at it. Your technique is improving and you are learning or consolidating previously learned lessons with every shave, even if it isn't immediately apparent.
Absolutely, 💯 % correct about complacency!

Top Bottom