What's new

Work hard, play hard - whatcha “inking”?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Still following. Great feedback. I might need start ordering a few sample packs to try some of these inks out.

The Enabler says, "order a few ink sample sets from Goulet, its a great way to try out a bunch of different inks!" :)

My aforementioned order was from JetPens, because free shipping over $25.

Though Goulet's $20 closeout sale on the all black Lamy Safari was tempting, I controlled myself. Sort of. Stick with my metropolitans for now.

I've been using Noodler's Zhivago for about two weeks now. I love it for work. It performs well. Also it is a black green so much so that most people will most likely not notice that it's green. I like how understated it is.

For work fairly dull I'm afraid: Diamaine Jet Black, Sheaffer Blue/Black or Waterman Serenity Blue - the latter being my favourite if maybe a little bright for some as royal blues go. Thinking of branching out into green - maybe a green/black?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Glad to see folks still chiming in. Great ink contributions!

I've been trying out a bunch of blacks and blues looking for a good work ink that plays nice with my pen and works on the cheap notebooks I use at work. I'm very sensitive to show/bleed through because I like using both sides of the paper in my notebooks. Here's my thoughts on the ones I've tried so far:

Pilot Black - Its black, nothing fancy. Bleeds through too much.
Monteverde Horizon Blue - Awesome color! Very wet ink that tends to creep and bleed through.
Monteverde Black Ash - Nice deep black. Not much bleed through with the fine nib.
Aurora Black - Thick, dark black - my favorite black so far. A little bleed through with the medium nib, but not bad with the fine.
Noodlers Bay State Blue - Awesome color! A little more bleed through than I like.
Diamine Regency Blue - Another great color! Makes me want to try more dark blues and blue-blacks. No bleed through and not bad showthrough, even with the medium nib.
Visconti Blue - Awesome color - maybe my favorite blue! Tended to creep pretty badly in my Esterbrooks, but not much bleed through.
Waterman Serenity Blue - Not the best blue color, but pretty good. Very well behaved in my pens and maybe the best as far as no bleed through and minimal show through.
J Herbin Perle Noire - Kind wimpy for a black, not a favorite. So far, well behaved in my pens and pretty good on the bleed through.

Glad to see folks still chiming in. Great ink contributions!

I've been trying out a bunch of blacks and blues looking for a good work ink that plays nice with my pen and works on the cheap notebooks I use at work. I'm very sensitive to show/bleed through because I like using both sides of the paper in my notebooks. Here's my thoughts on the ones I've tried so far:

Pilot Black - Its black, nothing fancy. Bleeds through too much.
Monteverde Horizon Blue - Awesome color! Very wet ink that tends to creep and bleed through.
Monteverde Black Ash - Nice deep black. Not much bleed through with the fine nib.
Aurora Black - Thick, dark black - my favorite black so far. A little bleed through with the medium nib, but not bad with the fine.
Noodlers Bay State Blue - Awesome color! A little more bleed through than I like.
Diamine Regency Blue - Another great color! Makes me want to try more dark blues and blue-blacks. No bleed through and not bad showthrough, even with the medium nib.
Visconti Blue - Awesome color - maybe my favorite blue! Tended to creep pretty badly in my Esterbrooks, but not much bleed through.
Waterman Serenity Blue - Not the best blue color, but pretty good. Very well behaved in my pens and maybe the best as far as no bleed through and minimal show through.
J Herbin Perle Noire - Kind wimpy for a black, not a favorite. So far, well behaved in my pens and pretty good on the bleed through.

For black, I really like Noodler's Heart of Darkness. It's a very dark black and I don't experience bleed through very often. YMMV

Heart of Darkness might bleed through too much on a green notebook, I can't honestly remember. it's fine on copy paper though. I also used it with XF/F nibs. it's waterproof enough, and very well behaved, so those are it's upsides.

PM me an address and I'll send you a sampler, if you don't end up picikng one up from Goulet or elsewhere.

I've been using Noodler's Zhivago for about two weeks now. I love it for work. It performs well. Also it is a black green so much so that most people will most likely not notice that it's green. I like how understated it is.

I prefer Noodler's 5 O'Clock Shadow. My bottle is getting low so this may become my alternative though it leans more green. Not sure why, I just prefer a green-black over blue-black.

I prefer Noodler's 5 O'Clock Shadow. My bottle is getting low so this may become my alternative though it leans more green. Not sure why, I just prefer a green-black over blue-black.

I had never seen the 5 O'Clock Shadow before. Based on the review I could find on FPN it looks very similar to Zhivago just a tad bit darker. Is this assessment correct?

I had never seen the 5 O'Clock Shadow before. Based on the review I could find on FPN it looks very similar to Zhivago just a tad bit darker. Is this assessment correct?
Yes. I would say 5OS is black with green in it and Zhivago is green with black in it.

My 5 O'clock seperated on me. Didn’t shake the bottle one day and the pen wrote with a fairly olive color that I honestly didn’t mind once loaded. But yeah...

I’ve had that bottle... 5 yrs?

Top Bottom