What's new

Wool blend durability?

Last week, when I was in Frankfurt, I bought a wool blend coat in a local shop. I was aware that it was not 100% wool, and the shop assistant described it as mainly wool, with some other fibers mixed in for strength.

Of course I should have checked before I bought the coat, or at least before I left the shop (and left the country). But now I am back in Holland, and I had a look at the label tonight. It says: 60% wool, 25% polyester, 10% polyamide, and 5% cashmere. Needless to say that I feel like this is nowhere near "mainly wool". And while the coat was for sale, it was still not cheap (the original price tag would suggest 80% wool indeed).

The good thing is that the coat is made by a renowned German brand, and looks well finished. The bad thing is that I cannot simply return the coat without considerable costs. So ... how bad is 60% wool and 25% polyester for durability and long term appearance? It's mostly the polyester that I am worried of.

To give you an idea; my previous (100% wool) coat lasted for over 20 years. If I am getting 10+ years of good service out of this one, I am happy. But with anything less than that, I would be disappointed.

Any advice or experiences?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think you'll be pleased. It should last at least 10+ years.

I hope so! My other coat lasted 22 years of so, and I only gave it away because my wife kept saying that it started to look shabby. I am convinced that I could have gotten at least 5 more years of good service from it.

The reason that I am saying "10 years" for this new coat, is that I feel that would be a reasonable lifetime. Of course I'd look forward to doubling it again.

Don't know what you paid but I hope not a lot. The 25% concerns me. I had one with 15% & it did not hold up well. In the future I would not buy a coat that was not 100% wool.

I read conflicting opinions; much seems to depend on the quality and length of the non-wool fibers, and the quality of the wool itself.
I think I'll find out in time.

It all depends on the weave and quality of the fibers. I have had pure wool garments wear and fall apart rapidly and wool/polyester garments last for years, and vice versa. A brand know for quality and durability will be your best guarantee.

Polyester content of 10-25 % will help a garment hold creases and shape better than 100% wool. I would not go more than 25% polyester content.

Wool blends from my opnion i Prefer at least 90% wool but blends are common if they last long i doint know.
if you look at tweeds the harris tweed those wil last more than 20 years with normal use.
There is a reasion why the wool blends are cheaper fabrics is it the quility i know one thing my father have dapperd cloathing that are more than 24 years old suits that stil look like new 100% 120 and pure high grade wool.

Top Bottom