What's new

Woodworkers - what's on your bench today?

On the workbench today - cut and mostly machined some mahogany for a mold and deckle frame that I'm making for a papermaking friend. I also did a trial assembly of an inkle loom that I'm making for the LOML. (Now if I could just find the router bit that I bought to cut the tension adjuster slot with.)

I'm working on a Roubo folding book stand for my mother's birthday.

proxy.php

I also have a couple of small bandsaw boxes for a larger project as well as a doll-sized bed for my daughter.

Unfortunately, my table saw is on my bench; upside down, for a major cleaning/overhaul. I let things go too long and the elevation and tilt gearing is badly gummed up. Not looking forward to this.

That's a sweet bookstand Infernal...

Today, most of the day is mostly going to be spent in non (direct) project work... I need to re-arrange the shop after pulling out all my big tools yesterday, (I was in a hurry yesterday because the LOML and I had a date night last night). Then I have tear apart the shop looking for that router bit (which I'm morally certain I bought and equally certain shouldn't be anywhere but in my bit drawer). My tablesaw fence needs adjusting before face jointing the parts for the mold & deckle and cutting the joinery, and I need to wax the top too. And... the LOML just laid a new project on me - she's thinking about adding a fourth guinea pig to her menagerie, so I need to find where I stashed the half built base for the new cage and figure out where I stand on it.

I agree legrand, tool maintenance while oh so necessary is oh so not fun.

All the things Norm and Co. never show on TV.

Last edited:
I got myself into the habit a few years back of doing tool maintenance either once a week or the end of every project, depending on workload of course. Since I'm not longer working wood full time its become a lot easier to do but I still maintain the habit so I don't go absolutely bonkers.

Good to know there are other woodworkers here! I've been on a bit of a hiatus due to tearing my distal biceps tendon this past summer. It's supposed to be healed in a few more months and is feeling very good (knock on wood!) Anyway, have a few projects in my head right now. My wife and I are big fans of the Greene and Greene Arts and Crafts style and purchased a bedroom suit in that style last year. My wife would like a full length mirror in that same style that is on my list for this summer, along with 2 sconces for my dining room project I will be working on as soon as I finish up my kitchen remodel.

Great looking and sounding projects. I'd love to see more pic's

strop

Now half as wise
I'm working on a Roubo folding book stand for my mother's birthday.

proxy.php

I also have a couple of small bandsaw boxes for a larger project as well as a doll-sized bed for my daughter.

Of course, all with hand tools. Nice to see someone else who like to work with music playing and the dust collector turned off.:thumbup:

I'm finishing up a small storage unit to put next to my drill press that will hold various drill bits. Right now I'm in the throes of "I need to organize my shop", so I've got a bunch of projects like this in the works. I'm also thinking about building something that will hold my three shaving mugs. So much wood, so little time.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Not much of a wood worker and I had some help from my nephew, but here's my new snack bar.

$snackbar.jpg

Of course, all with hand tools. Nice to see someone else who like to work with music playing and the dust collector turned off.:thumbup:

Absolutely. SWMBO finally had to buy me an alarm clock for my workshop. I could get lost at night listening to music and pushing a plane into oblivion.

I'm finishing up a small storage unit to put next to my drill press that will hold various drill bits. Right now I'm in the throes of "I need to organize my shop", so I've got a bunch of projects like this in the works. I'm also thinking about building something that will hold my three shaving mugs. So much wood, so little time.

I'm a huge fan of ShopNotes magazine for that exact reason. They have so many well-designed shop accessories in their pages and I've built quite a few.

Not much of a wood worker and I had some help from my nephew, but here's my new snack bar.

View attachment 310392

Heck man, don't sell yourself short, it looks great. I don't know about you but putting the finish on something like that always makes me second guess myself but it also makes me realize that I just enjoy my own creations more than anything I could buy in a store.

$IMG_0356.jpg

The first stage of the mold and deckle is now complete, I'll pass it to the papermaker tomorrow for her part of the work, then it comes back to me for final assembly.

Also, the guinea pig cage project is off the table... The pig we were looking at has behavioral issues, and after SWMBO and I had a long heart-to-heart she decided that while she had room in heart for all the piggies in the world, she didn't have room in her schedule to give the new pig the care and attention she will need and deserves if she couldn't get along with our other girls and had to be housed separately.

strop

Now half as wise
Absolutely. SWMBO finally had to buy me an alarm clock for my workshop. I could get lost at night listening to music and pushing a plane into oblivion.

:lol: I've been known to stay up until 3 or 4 AM because I lost track of time.

I'll bet you've gone into the shaop and made paper thin shavings, just because you can!:thumbup1:

So... Resurrecting this thread. No pics for now b/c what's on my bench is a huge mess. My goal for the next month is to get the shop mucked out and make some sawdust. I do pens mostly but also have several household projects on the to-do list, including some cabinetry in the kitchen. I'm replacing an oven and cooktop with a range. It's a rental house, so I want to reuse as much of the existing cabinetry as possible.

Anyway: motivate me! Let's see what you're working on as the holidays approach!

I have a post about it in another section, but I just built a shelf/rack and am working on a lathering bowl.

proxy.php

Its just wet with water right now, just wanted to see how the color would be. Still needs sanding and finishing.
proxy.php

strop

Now half as wise
I forgot about this thread. Thanks for bringing it back. This is my latest completed project, for my grandson. Currently finishing some shop storage cabinets, so nothing really to show. Up next will a bed, alos for the grandson, since he's outgrowing the cradle!

$20150629_195350_zed20150702_085313_60p.jpg

I did a similar cradle when we were first expecting our (now 14 year old) daughter. That looks good. I really like the bowl as well. I've been thinking about trying to turn a bowl or two. Right now my big project has been in the kitchen. We replaced a 1970s cooktop and wall oven with a traditional range just in time to back Christmas cookies. Yesterday, I finally started on adding sliding shelves to the old even area. I have to do one more, and then maybe one or two in the cabinet below. Then I'll make a set of long pantry doors that will cover both. Tonight, I'd like to get the other shelf in, and adapt the old counter to fit up to the range. Eventually I'll have to adapt one of the old cabinets to fit under that section of counter.

Jerry

Top Bottom