What's new

wolverine boot leather care help.

so i purchased a pair of wolverine 1000 mile boot in brown and i have a few questions on how to take care of them. i want them to last a long time.

1. what products do i buy to clean and condition them? there are so many out there so im not sure which will be the best. i know i dont need sno seal or probably even obenauf's lp because it doesnt really rain up here in northern california anymore.

2. how frequently should i clean and condition them? should i condition them once they arrive?

3. are shoe trees really necessary? and if so what would be the typical price for a pair and should they be the same size as my boots?

thanks for the help in advance.

1. YouTube has videos from Wolverine on cleaning/conditioning them, both new and used. I use Obenauf's LP and am very happy with it.
2. Depends on use, but every quarter sound reasonable, depending on use. I would clean them if they got very dirty, whenever they got very dirty -- I presume the boots would last longer, clean.
2. Yes. Wherever you purchased the boots should also sell you a shoe tree. Typically they will fit multiple sizes, e.g., 8-10. Have the store sell you good cedar trees to fit whatever size boots you bought from them. The cedar tree will absorb moisture and deodorize, in addition to keeping the shoe's shape.

1. I also use Obenauf's LP and the oil for most of my leather goods. I really like it, haven't seen a problem yet. I've used shoe cream to get the deep scuffs colored in, but haven't had much of a problem with the leather not holding up well.

2. When it needs it. Depending on use (I wear mine about once a week), I can go a couple months before they need attention. I brush my shoes before every wear.

3. Yes. I bought my 1000 Mile's at Bloomingdale's (don't judge, they were the ONLY store within 100 miles that had them in stock) and bought the trees they sell. They've got the two-part "toe end", and they slide right in and out after the shoes break in.

I really like my Wolverines. I want to get a pair of Iron Rangers, but haven't pulled the trigger for fear of disappointment.

Top Bottom