What's new

Wolfman WR1-SB Solid Brass

Wolfman Razors: WR1-SB Brass razor review

Up for review is my solid brass Wolfman WR1-SB razor, polished version. This razor is a thing of beauty and will be rotated with my existing SS WR1-OC. This is not the standard SB from Wolfman Razors, but a slightly increased blade gap from standard .024"(.61mm). to .029"(.74mm). I asked for this as I was looking to maintain, perhaps even slightly increase, this SB razors efficiency to that of my OC version. The fact that James even accommodates requests like this is amazing - it must cost James time and money to stop, reset tolerances and create one-offs. This type of service is well above the scope of all current D/E razor manufacturers. James has clarified that this increase in blade gap compares to an adjustable (1-9 scale) where a normal WR1 is a 4-5, and this one would be 5-6.

Here are some pics of the razor:

$FullSizeRender.jpg

$FullSizeRender[1].jpg

$FullSizeRender[2].jpg

And here is what the blade, and extra gap look like:

$IMG_1847.JPG

Now onto the shave 1:

Loaded with a GSB, and using Mikes Natural Coconut soap, Grapeseed/hempseed oil pre-shave and my Muhle Silvertip Fibre XL:
A very close shave. The low profile shave head, mated with heavy WRH1 handle makes this a is very smooth and nimble razor. This
razor is heavier than my stainless OC version due to heavier handle (WRH1 is 13 grams heavier than WRH3) and solid brass machining. There was no learning curve or adjustment required using this razor over my OC version. The shave was fantastic - a BBS with three passes. No post shave irritation and very smooth. I cant say that I notice, or have to make adjustments regarding the extra blade gap. It works, and works well. This razor is much more audible during shaving in comparison to my OC.

Now onto shave 2:

Loaded with a GSB, and using Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti soap, Grapeseed/hempseed oil pre-shave and my Plisson Synthetic:

My beard growth 24hrs after initial shave is still pretty light, and another fantastic shave with no adjustment required. The balance/weight contribute to a very easy second shave, again with no irritation or nicks. An easy BBS with 2 passes and touch ups.
I would say this razor is just as efficient as the OC version, perhaps slightly smoother. This brass razor is polished (James recommended polished brass for maintenance purposes) and just glides efficiently while shaving. The knurling on the WRH1 handle is fantastic, and the build quality of the razor is superb.

$FullSizeRender[3].jpg
I also like the addition of the Wolfman logo, and razor model, etched into the base plate.

I will report back in a week, after few more shaves. I am curious about the brass and its resistance to tarnish. Also, it will be interesting to return back to the OC after a couple weeks shaving with this brass SB. That will help validate impressions regarding razor smoothness and efficiency. In summary, I got what I wanted, a solid brass Wolfman SB razor that is at minimum on par with an OC with regards to efficiency. Thank you James!

Last edited:
Not a fan of yellow tone metals, but that is some fine looking hardware. I'm waiting to hear from James myself, so I'm green with envy. Congrats!

James is a top-notch businessman and artist. A custom option like this definitely sets him apart. I will be giving him business in the future for a few of his beautiful pieces.

LOVE the brass, and hope it gets a nice patina. Polishing will probably be a little tricky, but not impossible.

James is a top-notch businessman and artist. A custom option like this definitely sets him apart. I will be giving him business in the future for a few of his beautiful pieces.

LOVE the brass, and hope it gets a nice patina. Polishing will probably be a little tricky, but not impossible.

Absolutely right. The ability to tailor blade gap is incredible. This puts Wolfman alone at the top. Custom razor specs, three material types, too many combinations to buy!!

Williabe, can you tell just from visually comparing your 2 razors if James creates the extra blade gap by making that little "shelf" the blade sits on deeper?

Top Bottom