What's new

Williams soap?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I gotta ask, has it changed in recent years? I haven't used it in probably ten years. Last time I did it was pathetic.

I have used it many, many times and I quite like it. Its far from the best soap ever made, but its also far from the worst too. It can lather nicely, especially with proper technique and maybe mixing in a bit of glycerine. I also love the simple, old world, pure scent. There's nothing artificial about it. And its quite a bargain too.

Can Williams soap be melted into a jar?

Williams can be melted and I have done so many times to add a little olive oil to the mix. You have to slowly and cautiously heat it in a double boiler set up, the same way you would melt a fine chocolate.

I am not much of a Williams fan as it dried my skin horribly. I then moved on to VDH deluxe and like that a tad more. I can also get the VDH for a quarter cheaper than williams.

As far as adding glycerin to the soap to make it lather more.. what about adding a glob of skin food to it?

I'm curious. AlbertAnthrax how much olive oil do you add. What kind? What effect does it have on the lather?

I've been using Williams for about 15 years now. My face feels the same as it did back when I was in my early 20's. I have to admit, I haven't used much of anything more expensive, except for Neutrogina Razor Defense Shave Cream. I've never felt like I've been skimping using the Williams. The scent is pleasant, I always get enough lather. I've always used a Burma brush. Soak the puck and the brush in hot water while I'm in the shower, then pour out the water and whip it around a while. Always get a great shave (learnt by watching my dad.. I have to say that among my friends, I was a rare dog using a brush and mug!!) Sometimes when my skin is feeling on the dry side (in the winter mostly) all squirt in a little Edge gel and mix it in there..

I have to say though that I'm really tempted to try Mama Bear's soap (gee after 15 years maybe I need a change of pace huh?) you all are QUITE the ambassadors of her stuff, she's gotta be thrilled to have cultivated such a fanbase here!

(btw, hi, I'm new.. Mason from Cleveland, OH..)

I've been using Williams for about 15 years now. My face feels the same as it did back when I was in my early 20's. I have to admit, I haven't used much of anything more expensive, except for Neutrogina Razor Defense Shave Cream. I've never felt like I've been skimping using the Williams. The scent is pleasant, I always get enough lather. I've always used a Burma brush. Soak the puck and the brush in hot water while I'm in the shower, then pour out the water and whip it around a while. Always get a great shave (learnt by watching my dad.. I have to say that among my friends, I was a rare dog using a brush and mug!!) Sometimes when my skin is feeling on the dry side (in the winter mostly) all squirt in a little Edge gel and mix it in there..

I have to say though that I'm really tempted to try Mama Bear's soap (gee after 15 years maybe I need a change of pace huh?) you all are QUITE the ambassadors of her stuff, she's gotta be thrilled to have cultivated such a fanbase here!

(btw, hi, I'm new.. Mason from Cleveland, OH..)

Welcome aboard Mason! Mama Bear's soaps are first rate, as are Colleen's at thegentlemensquarter.com. Can't go wrong with either.

I had given up on the Williams a while back, but this morning I tried it again on a whim. I was surprised by a very close shave, and my face felt very nice afterwards. :w00t: I agree with others who have said that it takes some trial and error to get the lather just right.

Norm

Shaved twice with Williams since my last post. First was so-so, lathering in a bowl. This morning, I tried face-lathering; worked much better. Really nice shave. If I can do this well with Williams, how much better would the triple-milled soaps be? Hmmm. . . could be some creams popping up in the BST forum soon. . . :tongue:

Norm

Shaved twice with Williams since my last post. First was so-so, lathering in a bowl. This morning, I tried face-lathering; worked much better. Really nice shave. If I can do this well with Williams, how much better would the triple-milled soaps be? Hmmm. . . could be some creams popping up in the BST forum soon. . . :tongue:

Norm

Williams is so hard that I am guessing that it is milled soap, but I don't know how many times, nor am I certain.

Tim

I really enjoy using the Williams shaving cake. The lather on this soap sticks really well to my face and it doesn't slide down either, so thats definitely a plus. I also enjoy the scent because its a clean scent. I don't hold anything against it at all. Its also great for the price.

James

One more thing I've noticed about Williams over the years (I was just reminded this morning).. When you start with a NEW puck of Williams, your lather will not be very thick.. it will be sort of foamy and thin. After about 5 or 6 uses, I've found that the lather starts to thicken up nicely.

So.. if you're someone who's tried using Williams from a new puck, didn't like it, put it away, then tried later, didn't like it again and gave up.. I'd say, work that puck a few more times... you might be surprised.

I'm not sure why it acts this way for me, but it does every single time I drop in a new puck. And another thing, I don't rinse out my mug each time, just my brush. Maybe the build up in there has something to do with getting a thicker lather...

-Mason

One more thing I've noticed about Williams over the years (I was just reminded this morning).. When you start with a NEW puck of Williams, your lather will not be very thick.. it will be sort of foamy and thin. After about 5 or 6 uses, I've found that the lather starts to thicken up nicely.
-Mason

I don't experience that. Most likely it is absorbing water and softening a bit from that, allowing you to dissolve more soap. Try covering the new puck with some hot water for a couple of minutes before using it.

Traditional fat/lye soaps can develop a bit of a "skin" on them over time (a few months) due to oxygen exposure. If your Williams sat in the warehouse for awhile then this sort of thing can happen. I've also seen it on Trumper's soaps.

Top Bottom