What's new

Williams Mug Soap, perfectly fine.... don’t hit me.

Love the Williams mug shave soap. I use that for a base when I make my own shave soap.

If you love Williams mug soap, why do you need to add other ingredients??? It seems that what you are implying is that Williams by itself does not meet your need in a shaving soap.

If you love Williams mug soap, why do you need to add other ingredients??? It seems that what you are implying is that Williams by itself does not meet your need in a shaving soap.

Some people like to mix it up with different scents. Check out the "3017 a puck of Williams " threads.

Williams Wednesday Worked Wonderfully for Me;
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Some people like to mix it up with different scents. Check out the "3017 a puck of Williams " threads.

Since Williams has very little scent of its own, I can understand why you might want to add scent. However, that is not my impression of what Wastgunner was doing, but perhaps I misinterpreted his comment.

Williams Mug has very little scent to me and I use it exclusively at my cottage. I have lots of artesian soaps at home, but a $1 puck of Williams in a cheap mug works great for me.

Not even close to being one of my favourites, but it’s super cheap and lathers very well (and quickly) even with a crappy $5 WS brush.

*punch* :lol:

Joke aside, Williams is one of those soaps I trashed without even shaving with them. I couldn't lather it to save my life and even if I could, the smell was kinda off puting for me. Maybe I should soak it overnight first (hear that helps with lathering), but the smell was too mush for me to even try fixing my problems with lather. If it works for you, cheers :D

Since Williams has very little scent of its own, I can understand why you might want to add scent. However, that is not my impression of what Wastgunner was doing, but perhaps I misinterpreted his comment.
Or maybe I did. I just know that there's a lot of people adding scent, and I don't see many people using WMS as a starting point for tweaking the base. Waistgunner needs to clarify.

.... a damp brush to load up a lather.... and to a dense & slick lather that equals any of my other favorite soaps.
I've never had any lather-building issues from it "drying out".

+1
williams1.jpg

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have never had to go through the "rituals" I read regarding Williams. It works (for ME) just like any other soap. I just add a few drops of water to the puck, load the brush, then face-lather. Boom! Dense and thick. The combination of product, water, and effort is about the same as using a Palmolive shave stick. Maybe a half minute or so more building.

I will add that having tried boar, badger, and synthetic, the Omega synthetic brush has worked the best with Williams by far. As always, YMMV. Isn't variety wonderful?

Or maybe I did. I just know that there's a lot of people adding scent, and I don't see many people using WMS as a starting point for tweaking the base. Waistgunner needs to clarify.

Gentlemen sorry no clarity in my statement. I like to experiment with different soaps. Williams is a great soap alone by itself but I mix others (Arko, Van der hagen, some artisan soap) together along with some fragrances in with the williams to see how they turn out. I use a grater and grate it all up, apply some heat, add some bay rum, glycerin, vitamen E oil, some Cremo from the tube and that's what I was implying.

I bought some Razorrock Italian shave cream and like it, so I tried to reproduce it. It didn't work out how I planned but it did produce a shave soap that I really like. It was cheap too. But Williams is great just alone on its own.

I soak my Williams pucks in my shaving mug overnight (or over a few nights) with cold water, the only extra I give them is a splash of aftershave which I let soak in also. Currently I've been using Florida Water (contains NO glycerin). Have a well soaked brush and don't shake out too much water. Lather on the puck until the initial foamy lather is starting to become more dense. Never fails for me but I do live in the country and have nice soft well water.
IMG_20200820_133812_8.jpg

I am new to the Williams scene but I will tell you I am an interesting case in that I have had BOTH sides of the coin tossed at me regarding the issues surrounding this soap. I too started just putting water on my brush and lathering only to come up short and disappointed with the soap's cushion and dissipating lather. But after reading the comments regarding putting warm water into the mug with the puck for about 30 secs to 2 mins I got a pretty descent lather out of it.

Bottom Line: You, the shaver, have to soak the puck and stir the brush around for 30 secs to get a descent lather that protects and lasts.

Top Bottom